Planned Camera buys for 07

airfrogusmc

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ive asked for opinions etc on the dslr thread but this is as good as any i guess, id like to get the one with the 18-55 lens kit, ive never used a dslr before so im guessing the screen would be handy for me.

The good thing is you can see your image right away so you can check composition but a little advice be careful not to judge density(light/dark) contrast and color on the screen.

thanks man, Ill keep that in mind, ive only ever used slrs and find digital cameras really awkward, so seeing as my background is art i think a dslr would be the right choice, also I dont want to upgrade I want a camera that I can improve with rather than one I find limiting after a year or so. This looks like the camera for me. Hope im not over spending?

I'm gonna see what Canon puts out next, if they are disappointing as the last round of updates I am getting some Nikon gears... I might still get a Nikon setup just for macros (105VR macro + like a D40 or whatever), not having effective aperture is really pissing me off... I'm still happy with my 20D though, it's *me* not turning good images, not the camera... so maybe I'll send myself to a few good workshops or something... I don't have time to shoot enough now either, need to take some time off work...

Ayn I shoot allot of wideangle stuff so the 5D was really a no brainer. My 35mm stays a 35 and doesn't become a 58mm or whatever. The full frame sensor is the one thing Canon has over Nikon oh and the glass. Canons L lenses like the 24 1.4L, 35 1.4L, 50 1.2L and maybe the KING the 85 1.2L are just outstanding.

thanks man, Ill keep that in mind, ive only ever used slrs and find digital cameras really awkward, so seeing as my background is art i think a dslr would be the right choice, also I dont want to upgrade I want a camera that I can improve with rather than one I find limiting after a year or so. This looks like the camera for me. Hope im not over spending?

Well I don't know about the controls on the 400 but if you shoot manual like I do the aperture is by your right thumb and the shutter speeds are buy your right index finger. This actually makes it easier and faster for me that my old F-1s. I think oonce you get used to it you'll love it. Also you'll never regret spendig the money. Always buy the best you can afford.

airfrogusmc: yeah, that's why I am thinking getting a Nikon setup just for that 105VR lens and its macro superiority. heh... full frame is nice i guess, though I know way too many people with these pro or almost-pro bodies but without the shooting discipline to make full use of it... I'd get a 5D too but I'm waiting for the next iteration...

and you forgot to mention the 50/1, I used one, it's fucking cool...

can anyone recommed me an ultra compact with a good good macro? i'm about to sell my nikon 4500 and can't go without amazing macros. Sony's are out of the question. I tested out the samsung nv3, which has the mp3 player, seemed to be good for what i wanted, but heard bad things about the color saturation. can anyone else tell me what else to look at? I don't want a DSLR, don't feel like lugging around a camera like that. Casio's anygood?

airfrogusmc: yeah, that's why I am thinking getting a Nikon setup just for that 105VR lens and its macro superiority. heh... full frame is nice i guess, though I know way too many people with these pro or almost-pro bodies but without the shooting discipline to make full use of it... I'd get a 5D too but I'm waiting for the next iteration...

and you forgot to mention the 50/1, I used one, it's fucking cool...

Yeah I saw a 50 1.0 a while back. It was a huge heavy lens. Canon quit making it because of the lead in the glass. I couldn't live without my 35 1.4L. Probably shoot about 60% with it.

poly, I'm in the same boat as you. Lately I have been looking at the Leica D-LUX 3 10mp. Everyone seems to give it pretty good reviews and I have always really liked Leica as a brand. I might just pull the trigger next year.

I have a good friend that picked up a couple of the new M8s. He was on the waiting list for the longest time. He really likes'm.

I love the 5D... the transition up to higher models of the Canon family is very smooth and easy. Now I can't see myself using a 1.5x crop 20D or any other camera for that matter.

With the battery grip, it is a workhorse. Between the 50 1.4 and the 70-200 2.8, portraits are a breeze and the workflow is just beautiful.

How do you like it so far (5D)?

I love mine.

I don't know for sure if I can do it either. Business was very good last year and if it contiues it shouldn't be problem and the price has dropped lately so it got me thinking in that direction.

I just got the AlienBee Ringflash and it's pretty awesome. It's still in beta--but Paul Buff is a very kind man. He's updating as he goes along, giving the early adopters free fixes and hardware. For $400 it's unbeatable.

i wanted a good, slim camera. I just bought the samsung nv10 and it is amazing. really well designed camera. great pictures and an awesome touch sensitive buttons. got it for $269 and then 10% off with a coupon. so for less them $300 i got the camera and a 2gb card. I have 3 10% off circuit city coupons if anyone wants them

can you use them all at once for 30% off? I'm looking at the nv3 for super compact. the nv10 is good though? does it have the super macro function like the nv3? I think it goes as close as 2cm, which is almost as good as my coolpix 4500. thats the only reason i'm looking for a new one, is because of size.

i wanted a good, slim camera. I just bought the samsung nv10 and it is amazing. really well designed camera. great pictures and an awesome touch sensitive buttons. got it for $269 and then 10% off with a coupon. so for less them $300 i got the camera and a 2gb card. I have 3 10% off circuit city coupons if anyone wants them

I'm deciding if I want to get that Samsung or a Panasonic Lumix LX2. I've decided to go compact as i know i will get more use out of it that way I just don't know what I want! The Leica is amazing but way too much coin.

I love the 5D... the transition up to higher models of the Canon family is very smooth and easy. Now I can't see myself using a 1.5x crop 20D or any other camera for that matter.

With the battery grip, it is a workhorse. Between the 50 1.4 and the 70-200 2.8, portraits are a breeze and the workflow is just beautiful.

I just got the AlienBee Ringflash and it's pretty awesome. It's still in beta--but Paul Buff is a very kind man. He's updating as he goes along, giving the early adopters free fixes and hardware. For $400 it's unbeatable.

Yeah I hardly use my D20 either.

I've used White Lightning's for years. Ultra 1200s....

If you do portraits allot of portraits I highly recommend investing in an 85 1.2L.