Singapore or Kuala Lumpa?

janneh

My vote goes for Kuala Lumpur. No doubt a fun city but the food in Singapore is hard to beat.

Agreed.

Singapore hands down. Best food, clothes. KL is humid as hell, boring no fun nightlife

Bad nightlife in KL? No way! I lived in KL for several months and loved it. Singapore is OK, but if you want to immerse yourself in some good SE Asian culture, KL can't be beat.

The variety is the best part. Two places to hit inside the Four Floors of W*****: Ipanema and Top Ten. Avoid Crazy Horse at all costs.

I still prefer Macau. It's kinda like the best-of-the-best of SE and East Asia.

As I've never been to Sing* I can't really comment on it, but I have been to KL and it was AWESOME! Great food & shopping!!!

How long are you planning to be staying in one of the places?

If you're there for a bit, why not hit up both places?? Stay in KL for a bit, and then head down to Sing* for a couple days..

• 4 weeks later...

Clothing - If you're looking for high-end/designer labels, it'll have to be KL. SG's selections are way too little if I may say so myself. For streetwear I'd probably say SG though, for the variety and availability.

Sneakers - Pretty much the same as above.

Food - I can't really say for sure, both have quite a good selection of local fare.

Transport - My last trip to KL got me really irritated with the traffic jam during peak hours. And then there's the slow train intervals which just made things worse. Maybe that's just in the city area, but then again I'm not really sure. Traffic in SG is pretty smooth if compared to that of KL's, train intervals are way shorter and very much convenient/efficient.

Service-wise, I've had both good and bads from both.

On a sidenote, the stuff you get in KL will be cheaper than SG. Well for the most of it, that is.

What kind of high end designer labels? I think Singapore has a pretty good range. Club 21 has Dior, Martin margiela, Jil sander, Yohji, NN, Viktor etc... Theres also Bottega, LV, Gucci, prada, Miu Miu, if thats what youre after

Borrowing the thread for a sec.

I've ordered a trip to Singapore for a couple of days and then I'm of to Kuala Lumpur.

Are there any any particular spots that i shouldn't miss? I'm mainly after streetwear.

I've also thought about getting a tailored suit in either Singapore or KL, anyone got any experience or advices? And what can I expect the price to be for this in Singapore and KL?

I've ordered a trip to Singapore for a couple of days and then I'm of to Kuala Lumpur.

Are there any any particular spots that i shouldn't miss? I'm mainly after streetwear.

I've also thought about getting a tailored suit in either Singapore or KL, anyone got any experience or advices? And what can I expect the price to be for this in Singapore and KL?

Surrender / Ambush @ Devonshire road.

+ Visvim, Headporter, headporter+, Neighborhood, Savage archives, surrender, Original Fake, The hundreds, goodenoughuk

Far East Plaza

+ Sneakers, wide variety of streetstyle clothes. Be sure to visit stores like Sidewalk 10, LARGE, Leftfoot, Collage, The Attic.

Pacific Plaza (Opposite Far East Plaza)

+ Gallery, Stussy, Adidas Concept Store. They have supreme, bape, converse, nikes, visvim etc...

If ur looking for other labels such as APC, Nudies, Fred perry, Woods & Woods > Ann Siang Road. For bespoke clothings/outwear, im not sure about the average price but if you wanna play safe you can have yr stuff made from this places:

CYC - http://www.cyccustomshop.com

Pimabs - http://www.pimabs.com

I am guessing that the prices will be higher than average but they are one of the more well-established tailors around. You can pm me if you wanna find out more about shopping in Singapore. Hope this helps.

I haven't been to KL but been to Singapore many times (due to flying Sing Air), and there are many high end label boutiques that I found in centered areas such as Sim Lim.

Food is great in Singapore as well but I hear Malay food is much better, unfortunately could be biased because I have more friends who are Malay than Singaporean. :P

Being from KL myself, I'd recommend KL. However, it really boils down to what you want to do here.

Shopping: there are real differences between KL and Singapore. While I would think that KL is not far behind Singapore when it comes to high fashion labels, there is a big difference in terms of streetwear. The streetwear scene is definitely bigger in Singapore, and there's a much bigger variety of kicks stores and specialty clothing stores over there. So don't expect to buy Nudie jeans in Kuala Lumpur. But clothes can be inexpensive here in KL. The local brands (both street and generic) can be really cheap after conversion for you westerners, for reasonably well designed clothes. You guys may think that Bangkok offered the best in cheap clothes, I thought so too until I went there myself only to return disappointed.

So Singapore for streetwear, KL for the low price.

Food: A KL person would always argue that KL has better food than Singapore. Personally I feel that Singapore offers more cosmopolitan cuisine, but for real South East Asian food you've gotta come to KL for the real thing. Street food in KL is hard to beat. And no, most places won't leave you with diarrhoea. But of course knowing where to eat is just important, or else you may be disappointed.

People: Both are equally friendly.

Transport: Singapore definitely wins here. KL is as what they say here, traffic is crap .The public rail gets you to most places you need to see, but is not as extensive as singapore's. Things are better this year being the Visit Malaysia Year tho. There's some sort of a tourist bus, I think.

All in all, Singapore strikes to me as urban, clean, westernized, organized. KL is a whole hodgepodge, and feels more Asian.

For streetwear in KL, there's mainly just one place to go and that's Sungai Wang Plaza (Bukit Bintang Monorail Station). Mainly on the 1st and 2nd floor.

Look out for:

Miz 29 (1st floor)

Kidults(local streetwear)

Boundlezz (Original Fake, Clot, Stussy etc)

Plastic (local)

3point6 (local)

Extreme (local and surf).

Also nearby is the Berjaya Times Square. It's a half dead mall, but there are a few good streetwear haunts on the 6th floor:

Seekers

Resident

Crossova

Showroom. There's also a Borders there.

I like 1 Utama and The Curve in the Damansara area. 1 Utama has lots of good shops in it (Nike Specialty,Converse,Brooks Brothers). The Curve has got nice restaurants, a flea market on Sundays, a shopping complex and a cineplex. It's in the suburbs so you'll need to take a taxi there. Won't be too expensive, just make sure they charge by the meter.

KLCC and MidValley malls shouldnt be missed too. Both are easily reached by the public rail. Many local and international labels. Apparently there are some indie clothes to be found in the Central Market Annexe, but I haven't been there myself.

frankly speaking, i was extremely disappointed when i went to KL last december. Most of the shops can be found in Singapore and the stuff there mostly cater to 'ah bengs' there. i went to quite a number of malls and seriously regretted the trip. Traffic was bad and service was very slow, just my opinion though.

• 2 months later...

i personally prefer sg if you have little time and yet need to do a lot of shopping/ walking around. efficiency wise, sg is also better. friendliness i think kl is better.

on a side note, :P i can only hope the service levels improves in both countries; i am a singaporean myself and i hate the service i get in singapore, especially having lived in tokyo for a while now. but i think i like kl slightly better sometimes, less pretentious maybe?

:) one suggestion to store owners: it doesnt mean that if you are selling 'cool' clothes means that you have to have a cool and aloof attitude to match.

i once visited the guerilla store in sg and was greeted by rude sales staff who knew nothing about the brand yet put on this shitty attitude. this is especially glaring, given that the comme stores elsewhere in europe or japan are not rude at all.

:) one suggestion to store owners: it doesnt mean that if you are selling 'cool' clothes means that you have to have a cool and aloof attitude to match.

i once visited the guerilla store in sg and was greeted by rude sales staff who knew nothing about the brand yet put on this shitty attitude. this is especially glaring, given that the comme stores elsewhere in europe or japan are not rude at all.

I went to the new Guerilla store. I found the staff, at least one of them, to be friendly. He even told me that certain items in the collection are unique to Guerilla store and unavailable elsewhere. But overall, very little stuff there, but then again I went on the opening day.

BTW given their location, if they are rude to the people in the neighbourhood, they may find a brick through their glass window one day!

hmm...

i hv been to both... i guess it depends on what you like

i like for KL for being different, singapore is a bit too sterile

for high end fashion, singapore is much much better...

for streetwear, its pretty much the same, depends on ur budget

for food, you cant go wrong with both, they are great

as some1 mentioned before, the service in singapore and KL are not that great... KL fares a bit better tho... if you go to branded shops in singapore, the store assistants will look down on you if you dont look "expensive"...

KL is not tourist friendly tho.. the traffic is horrible, the public transport is appaling.. its not easy to go anywhere unless you know the area very well or the locals take you out. the taxi is cheap, but the drivers are really crap, they like to negotiate with you and hike the price....

however, KL is much cheaper in general in comparison to singapore