Digital SLRs?

nairb49

^^ totally but what I missed was buy a good general range lens of 2.8 or better, something around the 20-100 range for starters. Good general purpose lens. A 50mm is useless unless you do wedding photography or you have a full frame as a 50 will equal ~65 (with the presumption that both said cameras are 1.3x crop factor) and the whole point of a 50 is that it is the equivalent of the human eyes perception at a full frame length not a cropped sensor...

Also, in my opinion, buy the frame only, save the couple hundred dollars from the kit price and put it towards a better lens. The kit lens are always shit BUT only you know whether you truly want to get into it so if theres doubt then stay with the kit... If you know you'll like it then go with quality over quantity!

Thanks for the advice! I was under the impression that the 50mm F1.8 would be a great addition for indoor photography and low light condition. Plus it is very affordable. Any lens you would recommend for indoor/low light photography? Hopefully not too expensive.

How about the 18-200mm F3.5? Would it be better to go for a 24-70mm F2.8? But thats like totally out of my budget. 3rd party lens?

I just read that, yeah I guess its the 24-70, 135 would be too much for a 1.6x crop. I am using a t3i BTW.

So I am going to keep my horizons open, but will keep reading up on the lens.thanks for the help! Will Rep later.

Upgrade the lens first, IMO that's most important. I'm not that big of a Nikon Guy, so I'm not good with lenses but if you wanna do portrait stick with something that has a larger aperture than 2.0, go with 1.8 and below. Once you get the nice lens then upgrade the body (if need be), or get the accessories first (ie. Tripod, flash, etc..).

edit: Looking at a few nikon lenses, the 85mm f/1.4 is a good choice, or the cheaper 50mm f.1.4. The large apertures are good for portrait photography since the DOF is quite nice. And the camera is full-frame so you don't worry about the crop factor (that I have to :mad:). Now that I see this, I am starting to think I should have gone with Nikon, but too late now.

get just a standard all around lens. I am thinking that I am going to get the 24-70mm f/2.8 now. It is pretty much the all around do it all lens. After I get that I will be getting the canon version of that lens TF!

Yap using Nikon D5000...Think i'll have to check the market a bit then...

cool yeah thatll work then. that remote plus a gorilla pod are a good combo for taking pics on vacation :)

also the 35 1.8 is a great lens imo. better than the 50 1.8 on crop. i have both and i go to the 35 alot more often. the 50 is alot harder to work with indoors for me

any recommendations for a lens that'd be useful for shooting in taipei/singapore (more street-like shooting)?

i'm currently using a 600D and was looking at the 50mm 1.8, but it sounds like because of the crop factor i may want to go for something a bit wider?

do you want something fixed? if so a 35mm isnt a bad lens if you want something wider than a 50mm but the wider the lens the more expensive the lens

ive had a 50, 35 and now a 28mm f1.8 on a crop as i also didnt think the 50mm was wide enough for me.

do you want something fixed? if so a 35mm isnt a bad lens if you want something wider than a 50mm but the wider the lens the more expensive the lens

ive had a 50, 35 and now a 28mm f1.8 on a crop as i also didnt think the 50mm was wide enough for me.

how do you like the 28mm f/1.8? any shots you'd be down to post up?

seriously thinking about copping... somehow went from deciding between a couple $200-300 lenses, to the 28. i'm beginning to understand the hurt that photography brings.

Just saying, if you have a standard lens (kit lens) and it has the markings of the focal lengths on it (mine has 55, 35, etc..) tape it to what focal length you are looking into buying so you can't play with the zoom this way you can see if you want a certain length lens. That is waht someone told me and I wound up just getting the zoom lens instead of a prime.

• 2 weeks later...

The other camera that is similar to the T3i is the D90. But I have the T3i, honestly it is all about the feel of the camera. Try to go out and use either. It is more so about the feel of it. P.S. canon is better for videos if that helps you, Nikon has slightly better image quality.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...