Digital SLRs?

nairb49

This has nothing to do with the camera goodness, but someone mentioned that it might be worth considering getting a Nikon since the new nikons use an SD memory card, while Canon uses Compact Flash, and compact flash is being phased out....

any input?

It doesn't matter, since the format you use to store photos is only temporary. If the camera you buy now uses CF, it's fine. Even if CF phases out, it will be years and years until card readers no longer have a CF slot.

If you are looking for a guide on which DSLR to buy, read this review, which pits the three main $1k DSLRs (Sony A100, Nikon D80, Canon 400D) against each other: http://www.digitalreview.ca/cams/A100vsD80vsXTi.shtml

2i9jx9h.jpg

And of course you'll be able to learn about aperatures and shutter speeds with digital. If anything, film is more forgiving for learning good technical photography.

Indeed, the M6. My favorite Leica of them all is still the III series screw mounts from the '30s onto the '50s. It's a mechanical beauty when fully rigged--and practical too:

3frdst.jpg

Aside from the Leica, my other favorite is the Rolleiflex TLR.

Those cameras are so outdated, they're already avant-garde.

Digital just lacks viscerality much like driving a modern car compared to say, a 1956 Porsche 356.

• 3 weeks later...

I'd definately stick with the kit lens, unless you specifically want something else?

I think its very good for basic use, on my 300D I used the kit lens plus a zoom lens when needed, and on the 350D so far I've stuck with the kit one.

Yeah i agree with sticking with the kit lens. Its not the best lens, but it does the job pretty good and its cheap.

If you have more money to spend and depending on what type of photos you want to shoot, heres small a list.

Zoom lens

Tamron 28-75 f2.8

Tamron 17-50 f2.8

Sigma 18-50 f2.8

Prime lens

Canon 50mm f1.8 (incredibly cheap and good quality photos)

I would suggest one of the zoom lens listed for general purpose shooting and it is more versatile compared to primes.

They are not cheap though (around $300-$500?), but compared to canon zoom lens they are cheap and provide photos that are on par with Canon L lens in terms of quality. There are also cheaper ones that have similar ranges, but with smaller maximum apertures (I like my lens to have apertures of at least 2.8). But the 3 listed are the ones that stand out among the many that are out there.

yeah i was reading about the canon 50mm f1.8 or f1.4 might go with that. i found a body for cheap- i could get the kit lens for an extra $75 or get the canon 50mm f1.8 or f1.4. i like carl's sentiment - the idea of not using zoom and using your legs. so if the glass is better on the canon 50mm f1.8 or f1.4 i might as well go for that instead?

Theres a big price jump between the 50mm 1.8 and 1.4 if i remember correctly. If you are willing to pay that extra for the 1.4 then yeah get the 1.4. If it was me though, i would get the 1.8 cause im such a cheap ass haha. Note also that the 1.8 has 2 versions, one being made out of plastic and the other metal. The metal one is the older model and are harder to find. But they often pop up on ebay and are a little bit more dearer in price compared to the plastic body. In terms of glass quality, as far as i know they are the same.

You will find later that you would want to shoot at wider angles where the 50mm won't be capable of even if you use your legs which is why the zoom lens would be a better option. Though there is also the option of purchasing a wide angle prime (but most of them are really expensive) which is why buying a zoom such as a 17-50 would be a better option.

In the end, lens choice really depends on what type of photos you want to shoot.

there is a link on top of the picture for the preview

Apologies, I am a fool.

*Edit*

I think it would come down to price for me - it depends how much cheaper than the D50 you can find it for. I think it's a good concept for Nikon to explore but I'd rather have the extras that come with my D50 (but on the other hand, I know I will use those features).

I would go for the 1.4 for sure, it is a few more aperture blades which means much smoother bokeh... Also it has internal focusing ring and is much better constructed... it is well worth the extra... the 50/1.8 M2 can be had for like 80 bucks, and there is nothing wrong with it, just that the 1.4 is really that much better to me... (I own neither but have used the 1.4 extensively, my studio partner back in Austin used one as his portrait lens, 50 x 1.6 is pretty much ideal for portraits btw)...

Theres a big price jump between the 50mm 1.8 and 1.4 if i remember correctly. If you are willing to pay that extra for the 1.4 then yeah get the 1.4. If it was me though, i would get the 1.8 cause im such a cheap ass haha. Note also that the 1.8 has 2 versions, one being made out of plastic and the other metal. The metal one is the older model and are harder to find. But they often pop up on ebay and are a little bit more dearer in price compared to the plastic body. In terms of glass quality, as far as i know they are the same.

You will find later that you would want to shoot at wider angles where the 50mm won't be capable of even if you use your legs which is why the zoom lens would be a better option. Though there is also the option of purchasing a wide angle prime (but most of them are really expensive) which is why buying a zoom such as a 17-50 would be a better option.

In the end, lens choice really depends on what type of photos you want to shoot.

• 4 weeks later...

How much did you pay? They go for around 600 dollars for the whole kit. Which is not bad at all. I think you should google some places and read about DSLRs, and get familier with it... I've seen the Japanese version the KISS or something, and it shoots nice clear images, but I havn't seen it in full resolution.