Digital SLRs?

nairb49

As even the tiniest scratch is going to have a very deep inpact on the photos.

I've had great satisfaction buying from reputed camera dealers on used lenses: cametacamera, B&H, and hell... even took a chance on an awesome wide-angle prime from Ebay supercheap! That's why I personally love Nikon, I can always be assured (when looking for specialized lenses used) that most of the pro-amateurs or amateurs with lens-lust will have taken ridiculously good care of them and have put them to rather minimal use. That plus you have to make sure the kind of lens you are buying will have a good durability, increasing the chance that you're getting a good lens.

As for scratches... I don't have any on my lenses myself but I hear from alot of photojournalists that put their lenses through alot of wear and tear use that minute front-element lens scratches don't really have too much of an effect on the picture. But then again, these are photojournalists... I would never buy a lens from these guys, they just put their lenses to too much use.

weirdnjfan1:

I would go with the most economical overall system, which to you would be to stay in Pentax. I feel it's the smart choice, because it's a nice privilage to already have a nice variety of lenses from the get-go since your dad's a pentax user as well. In the end I love my bodies but the overall feel of each picture I take is decided by my lenses, I have a much more intimate mental/image connection with the lenses than with the body of my DSLR. It was the first thing I took into consideration when buying into this hobby. If you went for a Nikon or Canon right now, the Lens Lust that will sure follow might cost you around $2k if you succumb to it.

In terms of the body it's nice to know you're putting thought into this but I would advise you to go to a store and hold these in your hand. Featurewise, I feel both are good solid bodies and the important thing is for them to fit comfortably well in hand with enough weight to keep you stable. Some people might think a smaller body is convenient but I found out that I preffered larger bodies with more weight as they fit well in my hand and also in some ways offsets hand-held shake.

I'm thinking of selling my 30D, but part of me just can't.

Reasons to sell:

- I don't think I'm using the camera to its full potential

- Neither are the lenses I currently have (Tamron 17-50/2.8 and Canon 50/1.8)

- I have hardcore lens lust and no money

- So basically I need to either invest more money into this system or feel like it's being wasted.

- Often I leave my camera at home simply because I can't carry such a big thing with me every day

- If I sold my current setup for 1000 Euros, and bought a new portable for 500 Euros, I would still have some extra money.

Reasons to keep

- I LOVE my 30D. I love the way it handles, I love the pictures it takes, and I love the amount of manual control I have.

I think that to a certain extent my love for the 30D is only a placebo kind of thing and if I got a decent compact, I wouldn't miss my 30D as much.

I would replace it with either a Canon G9, a Ricoh GX100, or a Panasonic LX2.

weirdnjfan1: I would go with the most economical overall system, which to you would be to stay in Pentax. I feel it's the smart choice, because it's a nice privilage to already have a nice variety of lenses from the get-go since your dad's a pentax user as well. In the end I love my bodies but the overall feel of each picture I take is decided by my lenses, I have a much more intimate mental/image connection with the lenses than with the body of my DSLR. It was the first thing I took into consideration when buying into this hobby. If you went for a Nikon or Canon right now, the Lens Lust that will sure follow might cost you around $2k if you succumb to it.

In terms of the body it's nice to know you're putting thought into this but I would advise you to go to a store and hold these in your hand. Featurewise, I feel both are good solid bodies and the important thing is for them to fit comfortably well in hand with enough weight to keep you stable. Some people might think a smaller body is convenient but I found out that I preffered larger bodies with more weight as they fit well in my hand and also in some ways offsets hand-held shake.

Yeah, I was at Ritz Camera last month and they had the K100D in one of their cases. Thank god the guy wasn't one of those camera snobs (no offense to anyone) and was nice enough to let me look at it. I like the way that it felt, the weight feels about the same as the classic K1000 and it's user friendly.

Anyone know of any black friday DSLR deals?

Canon 8MP D-SLR Digital Rebel XT Camera - $549.99

Canon 8MP D-SLR Digital Rebel XT Camera w/75-300mm Canon Zoom Lens + Accessory Kit - $549.99- Best Buy

That's the only one that I saw. Check out this thread to see the other scans.

http://www.issforums.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=565814&highlight=friday

I'm thinking of selling my 30D, but part of me just can't.

Reasons to sell:

- I don't think I'm using the camera to its full potential

- Neither are the lenses I currently have (Tamron 17-50/2.8 and Canon 50/1.8)

- I have hardcore lens lust and no money

- So basically I need to either invest more money into this system or feel like it's being wasted.

- Often I leave my camera at home simply because I can't carry such a big thing with me every day

- If I sold my current setup for 1000 Euros, and bought a new portable for 500 Euros, I would still have some extra money.

Reasons to keep

- I LOVE my 30D. I love the way it handles, I love the pictures it takes, and I love the amount of manual control I have.

I think that to a certain extent my love for the 30D is only a placebo kind of thing and if I got a decent compact, I wouldn't miss my 30D as much.

I would replace it with either a Canon G9, a Ricoh GX100, or a Panasonic LX2.

I wouldnt compare a compact to a DSLR that way though.To me its like having a bike and a car. Although at the end of the day, they share the same purpose, that is to get from point A to point B (in camera, that is to take pictures) but each has its own purposes. In my case, I love both compact and DSLR, as they serve different purposes and needs.

Sorry in advance for a ridiculously uninformed post, but I figure this would be as good a place as any for advice on this issue:

I am contemplating trading a guitar of mine for a Canon EOS D60 w 28-135 lens, charger, bag, tripod, etc and some cash. The trade would be giving the camera and accessories a value of approximately 400 dollars. I know absolutely nothing about cameras, but unless I got for something ultra cheap and small, I want something with expandability that will be capable of taking stunning photos for years to come. Am I buying a dead horse in the D60, or does it have some redeeming qualities for someone just getting started with their first real camera? Also, are there technological elements that are going to make it obsolete sooner than later?

I guess to sum it up, I wonder if the trade is justifiable, or if I should just sell the guitar and buy a camera. Thanks for any help in advance.

I wouldnt compare a compact to a DSLR that way though.To me its like having a bike and a car. Although at the end of the day, they share the same purpose, that is to get from point A to point B (in camera, that is to take pictures) but each has its own purposes. In my case, I love both compact and DSLR, as they serve different purposes and needs.

I think in the end while I love holding my 30D, I don't like carrying it, and I'm looking for a camera that will take similar quality shots.

I'm giving it another 4-5 weeks, and if my mood still hasn't changed, I'll sell it when I'm back in Vienna (higher resale price than in the UK). The good thing about dSLRs is that their price doesn't drop that fast.

I would love a GR Digital, but I can't live with only having a single digital prime. That's why I was looking the the GX100, it seems like a GRD with zoom, just not quite as good.

im looking to get more educated in the field of photography, and I was just wondering does a 6 megapixel d40 nikon make a big different from a 10 megapixell d40 nikon?

depends on what you want to do. if you are blowing something way up, or cropping something then yes. otherwise not really a whole lot of difference.

wow. my parents got me a nikon D40x for my birthday.

its a whole kit. 2 len's: nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G and 18-55mm f/3-5.6G

a photo printer, a bag, lessons which i may or may not use, and a whole other bunch of goodies.

beautiful camera. im a very happy boy.

• 2 weeks later...
I can't wait until I get my Canon 40D, not released in Thailand yet so I will fly next month to Hong Kong to pick it up. Best Dslr you can get for around 1500$ right now.

Just bought the Canon 40D plus EF-S 17-85 IS USM lens as a kit yesterday. Yodobashi camera (Akihabara) is having a special xmas sale, so the price and timing could not be beat.

d80 is like prolly 10 tens better then the d40 in almost everyway. d40 uses a different set of lenses. so if your planning on using a SLR for its intend purpose, then you would wanted a d80. also the d80 has many features on it that you would see on more expensive slrs. overal a more solid machine.

kinda how i see the ranking it is

worst to the best

d40

xt

xti

d80

40d

etc.

This is how i decided on the D40 from a list of D40, D40x, and D80

first: I knew I wanted a DSLR. I couldn't take scanning negatives anymore.

I also knew that once funds became available (I'm a student currently) I'd want to start investing in lenses, and letting my equipment grow.

So, I crossed of the D40x in favor of the D40 or D80, seeing as how I knew I wanted to upgrade, so the x wasn't worth the premium over the regular just yet. The D80 got crossed off because I wasn't ready to invest in multiple lenses right now, and I wanted to let my photography grow a little more before taking the $1k or so plunge.

So, D40 until I get a job and lots of disposable income :]

Basically, if you have the disposable income and want to invest in lenses right now, go with the D80 or above. If you don't have the income, but still want a DSLR until then, the D40. The D40x isn't worth the $200 over the D40, especially since you're still limited by lens mounts. IF the x version came with the ability to use regular Nikon Lenses and have autofocus, yes, I would've easily gone with the x.

great posts here everyone.

i too will soon be in the market for one of the entry level SLR's. My father has a 35mm film Canon T4 body with a couple lenses. If any of you are familiar with this body, can you please tell me if the lenses my father owns would be compatible with Canon's Digital Rebel DSLR?

thx in advance

great posts here everyone.

i too will soon be in the market for one of the entry level SLR's. My father has a 35mm film Canon T4 body with a couple lenses. If any of you are familiar with this body, can you please tell me if the lenses my father owns would be compatible with Canon's Digital Rebel DSLR?

thx in advance

t4 or t5? not familiar with the t4, but either way it doesn't use the EF mount, which is what the rebel uses. you can get an adapter plate, but they're probably not worth the trouble.