Digital SLRs?

nairb49

Hey Ayn, just received my Canon 400D (Rebel XTi) per your suggestion with the 50 mm 1.8 lens.......OMG!!! I love it!!!! Thanks so much for the help. Right out the box I can see great images. Any suggestionson a wider angle with the same "look" ? Thanks!

i'm currently majoring in graphic design, and i believe getting a digital SLR right now will be a good investment. my budget for the body itself is no more than $1000. a really quick research provided me with these 2 options:

Canon EOS 400D and Nikon D80

for reasons unknown, i'm leaning towards the D80. and i know the lens is the shiznit, but sadly i know nothing about it. what will be a good lens to start out with but will also satisfy my craving for years to come?

please enlighten me guys...

I think they are both very capable cameras, but I would suggest physically holding each of the cameras and see how they feel in your hands. It might be the deal breaker either way.

the 400D is cheaper, hence you could probably invest more in lenses and what not dunno what your exact budget is.

personally I really really want a D80, and I have a canon. :o

Love my 400D. Was looking hard at the D40, but already had 2 Canon lenes (and with some tips from ayn) plus I really like the reliability. Had a couple (canon) p&s's and they never went down and I put the thru hell. At the end of the day, if the image moves you, who cares what it came from......just shoot, and shoot some more ;)

Love my 400D. Was looking hard at the D40, but already had 2 Canon lenes (and with some tips from ayn) plus I really like the reliability. Had a couple (canon) p&s's and they never went down and I put the thru hell. At the end of the day, if the image moves you, who cares what it came from......just shoot, and shoot some more ;)

The Nikon D40 is more for people who are looking into an SLR camera of any type for the first time While it has a decent kit lens, the range of lenses compatible are fewer than with other Nikon DSLRs because of the lens motor issue. But Nikon doesn't expect most people to stray beyond the kit lens anyway.

Be sure to post your photos in the Photography thread!

I'm guessing by the saying the samsung you're looking for something digital. and you mentioned leica so i would say go with on of the cameras from the panasonic lumix line. They're great cameras and come with leica lenses. I have one of the smaller ones to carry around and i love it.

I posted a similar question a month back with the title compact cameras and got heaps of good recomendations.

I ended up getting a Casion Exilim EX-S770. It is a fantastic camera so far. Nice and tiny, good shots and plenty of features.

I wouldnt get a Leica - your paying for a pretty shell while the componants aren't that superior in comparison to most competitors.

The samsung you mentioned is pretty cool. It was at the top of my list but since it isn't available in Sydney I didn't want to have the probelms if I needed to get it repaired. Most compacts in that price range are all pretty similar and I would pressume its just for happy snaps etc so I wouldnt go too crazy - just get something small that looks nice and has a good price tag.

Check out cnet.com for good un-bias reviews.

i would get an olympus XA, really small with a super nice lens, you get great picture quality. sensitive shutter release too so you can get clear pictures at slower speeds. really fun to use as well.

some more info/photos:

groundglass.ca/archives/cat_olympus_xa.php

pbase.com/cameras/olympus/xa

flickr.com/groups/olympusxa/

So I finally got round to buying a canon 400d eos, im very happy with it, im not to hot on going straight manual with it but hopefully ill get to grips with it. From a dumb beginner point of view the booklet is pretty easy and simple to understand and the software is very easy on my mac.... thumbs up from a novice!

I've been reading up on the dpreview forums, every now and then theyll have a "kit lens challenge" some pretty cool results from a supposedly sucky lens..

they also just recently started a green box challenge, all photos taken in full auto..

anyway I recommend even just browsing it, you might get some good ideas, inspiration.

although their forum set up has much to be desired..

that forum has mostly gearheads... do they post those "challenge" pictures in full resolution? hard to tell quality of lenses otherwise. and at aperture small enough, "kit lens" can produce reasonably good images, they just look like shit at wide open apertures. you can also compare the MTF graphs.

• 2 weeks later...

hey guys, I'm lookin to finally upgrade from the point-and-shoot to the SLR.

I'M BITING THE BULLET.

but basically I had a few quick questions.

the Canon Rebel seems to be a pretty good starting camera for beginners (like myself) and experts alike.

I'm wondering, is it user/beginner friendly right out of the box?

also I'm looking for one that's going to be SOMEWHAT portable, not completely but I don't want to have to lug around a fucking brick around my neck.

I'm hoping to be able to improve my photography skills and get some really good looking shots out of this thing.

I've pretty much decided on the Rebel, just looking for the Superfuture final opinion.

most aren't in full resolution

what other forums do you look at?

that forum has mostly gearheads... do they post those "challenge" pictures in full resolution? hard to tell quality of lenses otherwise. and at aperture small enough, "kit lens" can produce reasonably good images, they just look like shit at wide open apertures. you can also compare the MTF graphs.

I've read good things about the Pentax dSLRs... one of the guys who writes for TOP (the online photographer blog) has one... I think it was the one with the sensor-base vibration reduction / image stablization... the K10D or something...