Digital SLRs?

nairb49

i disagree when people say if you're going to shoot video just get a video camera. for the price, getting a dslr with a nice fast lens can give you cinematic quality. on top of the great video, at the end of the day you have a really great camera too.

theres going to be a difference in price between a dslr and a nice lens (anything more than the kit lens) and a video camera. its easy to say get the dslr and a nice lens but that can run you upwards of 1,200 where you can pick up good a HD video camera for under 500

i am checking all the cameras suggested on cnet.com.

also, how would the video portion of the camera affect the camera as a whole? would it function much slower? This is what i am afraid of. If so, would you recommend i get just a camera for taking photos and another device for filming videos?

thank you guys for your input.

also the speed of the memory card will play a factor in the lag time between video clips

Well to be honest don't go by Cnet. For Canon the ones we posted (T3i, 60D, or 5D MK II, oh and the 7D) are the only ones that will give the best video for Canon. I mean T2i is good, but it is somewhat old technology.

T3i and 60Ds video are the same, 7D I think is better in terms of quality, and the 5D MK IIs video is the best of the best. If you really want to shoot video just get a video camera...

What? The sensor on the T2i, T3i, 60D, and 7D are all the same. The T3i is the T2i with a vari-angle screen with really no other improvements. Between all four, you might see minor improvements in low light/iso performance in the higher end models if you were pixel peeping, but the IQ is essentially equal.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

But there's also a disadvantage because whether or not you use it you're at risk of getting the lens scratched or broken. If the thing that hits it, hits it hard enough, the lens will break, while if it hits the UV filter hard enough the thing could penetrate it and still break the lens or the UV filter could just scratch the lens badly.

Either way I like using a lens hood instead... not to mention a shitty UV filter will create unwanted flare (ie. don't buyfrom best buy).

• 4 weeks later...

hi guys I need some help.

i think my d40 was stolen by this biznatch who put up some pics of herself on facebook, with presumably my camera. it's blurry and all I can make out is the writing on the lens.

I called a bitch out and she claims it's hers and that it's a d3100.

I checked and the d3100 standard kit lens has "VR" written on it, and the D40 has "GII" ->

this is the photo in question

http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/930/lensip.jpg

Is she telling the truf? is it possible for a d3100 to have a downgraded GII lens?

d40

25420_D40_front.png

d3100

812348954.jpg

^Yeah looks like a D40, plus why would someone swap out the D3100 kit VR for a non-VR of the same lens? Unless she bought the camera body only and picked up the D40 kit lens somewhere (seems like an unlikely series of events).

How do you figure she stole it anyways? She in your house recently?

the builtin flash on the one shes holding is def the d40 especially noticeable in photo 2/3

and the dial as previously stated-- flatter w/ wider ridges

not the same scale, but in junior high i let a 'friend' look at some band medals during a movie on the last day of school. they disappeared, later her mother found them in her backpack.

hate thieving. hope you get your stuff back

thanks for the support you guys.

I also x-posted in a nikon forum and the consensus is that it is def not a d3100 and looks way more like a d40.

I have asked her to send a --picture-- of the serial number but I have a feeling she is capable of taking a picture of some other camera.

fuuuu she has just made all her fb photos private and severely limited her wall.. If she has nothing to hide why do that?

if you have a 35 i dont think you need the 50 unless you find that you need more zoom. i sold my 50 because it wasnt wide enough. dont think you need both the 35 and 50 so if you do get the 50 you prob wont need the 35

if you have a 35 i dont think you need the 50 unless you find that you need more zoom. i sold my 50 because it wasnt wide enough. dont think you need both the 35 and 50 so if you do get the 50 you prob wont need the 35

this is one of the reasons i actually would go for the 50mm 1.4G...an on the other hand, since i know that i will go FF some day, the 50mm 1.4G would be great, since i couldn´t use the 35mm 1.8G on a FF (well not to the fullest!)...

think i'll give it a go...

sounds like you know what to do. have fun with it

Just decided that I'll go with the 50mm 1.8G since it's half the price of the 1.4G and after reading some reviews the 1.8G is better on a crop as the 1.4G is...So since the price difference isn't that big (~190$) I will upgrade to a 1.4G (or better!) as soon as I get a FF then...

Sounds good? ...