Digital SLRs?

nairb49

So after a few years of Canon G-Series (9-10-11) use, I finally took the plunge and bought a t2i body and a Sigma 30mm 1.4 lens. I will be primarily using it for its HD video at club events but also want to generally improve my understanding of still photography. Any suggestions on tutorials, video tutorials, basic guides? I found this while hunting around youtube:

http://michaelthementor.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=19

any leads on things I can read/watch to try to get a basic understanding before using it for the first time at my event this Saturday?

Thanks in advance.

db

bentobox, it's funny that you asked. My friend and I convinced a friend to jump aboard the canon ship, and she bought a t2i as well a few hours ago.

The manual is a good place to start. Then, googling for beginner tips is helpful, too (ex. dps) Lastly, "Understanding Exposure" is usually the go-to book for a solid start in photography.

I nearly forgot about the forums on dpreview, photo.net and flickr. They should have an abundant amount of knowledge.

Lastly, if you're thinking of video, vimeo communities are useful: http://vimeo.com/groups/eos550d/forums

was wondering if i should get either a

50mm

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/247091-GREY/Nikon_2137_Normal_AF_Nikkor_50mm.html

or a

35mm

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/606792-GREY/Nikon_2183_AF_S_Nikkor_35mm_f_1_8G.html

for a base street lens. i'm using a d70 atm with the original stock lens (18-70mm) and i'm toying around with the current stock lens (18-55mm)

Both are great lenses - the 50 will add a bit of zoom (due to the crop factor of your camera) while the 35 will be basically be a 1:1 match with what you see with your eyes.

So that's the real dilemma: do you want to have a bit of a zoom or just see what you are seeing?

I'd say go for the 35. I have the 50, and am hoping to get rid of it and purchase the 35 in the next couple weeks. As joelz said, there is some crop factor with the 50, and for me it's a bit too much. I use a 50mm on a 35mm body and it's great, so I can't wait for the similar framing of the 35 on my D80.

• 2 weeks later...

Get the 5d Mark II, your glass (24-105) will definitely benefit from shooting on a full frame...

Aaah, I really have trouble deciding between the 7D and the 5DmkII!!

I'm currently shooting with a 40D, my go-to lens is a 24-105mm L, and would be great to put on a full frame body! But really tempted by the 7D! All help and insight appreciated!

sup guy's i went with the canon 100d in the end and im really happy i haven't even used it yet as they lady in the shop asked if i wanted to buy a case i told her no as my step dad gave me his old film camera which had a case with (a canon 3000) i didn't know that at the time.

came home to open the case and there is a 80 200mm lens and a 28 - 80mm lens and they fit perfect for the 1000 and the 3000 still works fine

but im a beginer so all a bit new to me! back to the instruction manuel :D

also is the 28 - 80mm gonna be better then the 18 - 55mm?

sup guy's i went with the canon 100d in the end and im really happy i haven't even used it yet as they lady in the shop asked if i wanted to buy a case i told her no as my step dad gave me his old film camera which had a case with (a canon 3000) i didn't know that at the time.

came home to open the case and there is a 80 200mm lens and a 28 - 80mm lens and they fit perfect for the 1000 and the 3000 still works fine

but im a beginer so all a bit new to me! back to the instruction manuel :D

also is the 28 - 80mm gonna be better then the 18 - 55mm?

One catch for you - your dad's old film camera didn't have a digital sensor, so unless you bought a full frame camera (i actually couldn't find the 100d online, do you mean the 1000d?) you're going to have some difference with the length of the lens. As for optics, it really depends on what kind of lens it is and how sharp it is.

ah sorry ment 1000d, thanks for the input joelz +rep

no worries - it's got an crop sensor (or a 22mm sensor or whatever canon calls it) so it's about 1.6x the length of your lens you have - so your 80-200 is actually a 126-320 and the 28-80 is actually a 45-126 - which is a bit irregular. that being said, it could still be a good lens to play around with, it's just more of a zoom lens for you to play with

• 2 weeks later...

Wattup,

I'm thinking of purchasing a entry to mid level dslr camera and currently I am liking the:

Canon T1i

Canon XSi

Nikon D3000

Nikon D5000

And possibly the Nikon D90

Can any of you guys give me recommendations/experiences?

Wattup,

I'm thinking of purchasing a entry to mid level dslr camera and currently I am liking the:

Canon T1i

Canon XSi

Nikon D3000

Nikon D5000

And possibly the Nikon D90

Can any of you guys give me recommendations/experiences?

I have been reading about some canon rumors, so you might try to wait a few days and see if any of them actually happen. On another note, why the T1i and not the T2i?

• 3 weeks later...

Recently got my DSLR (and other shit) stolen.

I'm in the market for a new one.

Preferably something light and not insanely expensive.

T2i

T1i

D3100

D5000

which one?

D90 is dangerously cheap these days (especially in the Japland).

according to nikonrumors a D90 replacement is expected soon which may explain why it is cheap or low in stock in stores. so if you are thinking about getting a D90 then I would wait to see what it success has...

not familiar w/ T2i, T1i, or the D3100/5000 to give a fair and honest opinion.

Recently got my DSLR (and other shit) stolen.

I'm in the market for a new one.

Preferably something light and not insanely expensive.

T2i

T1i

D3100

D5000

which one?

D90 is dangerously cheap these days (especially in the Japland).

i had a 35mm on my Canon eos 30D for a couple of year and loved it, perfect prime lens for cropped sensor. 50mm is way too narrow unless you own a full frame body.

i had a 35mm on my Canon eos 30D for a couple of year and loved it, perfect prime lens for cropped sensor. 50mm is way too narrow unless you own a full frame body.

so, i'm pretty sure i know what my next camera is. i really want to upgrade to full frame, and the d700 has been the camera of my dreams. but, i do want to give consideration to the canon family of cameras. i looked at the 5d online today, but i'm just not sure i can step down in the fps rate as sports photography is one of my main areas. the 7d would be my other choice, as it shoots at 8 fps, but it doesn't have a full frame..

so, what do you all think?