Digital SLRs?

nairb49

Go with the 7D. Higher ISO, 18 megapixels, 8 fps, and if you're looking for a good all-around camera, it has full HD video which is pretty sweet. It's just a better camera than the 5D.

just for the sake of argument or defense of the 5D... I'd NEVER really need 18 megapixels, I probably won't need 8fps because I'd mostly do portraits or landscape (never really action shots). Also video would be nice to play with I agree and the ISO is huge for me too. But with the full frame I'd get better use out of my L lenses; better contrast, colors, dof, etc. I'm kinda tight on money and can probably find the 5D for a grand wereas he 7D would run me $1600.

there are plenty of people who need full frame for their type of work and lenses and the images they want. it's really that big of a deal maker/breaker, and why i wouldn't hesitate to get the 5d over th 7d, despite the 7d looking better on paper.

just for the sake of argument or defense of the 5D... I'd NEVER really need 18 megapixels, I probably won't need 8fps because I'd mostly do portraits or landscape (never really action shots). Also video would be nice to play with I agree and the ISO is huge for me too. But with the full frame I'd get better use out of my L lenses; better contrast, colors, dof, etc. I'm kinda tight on money and can probably find the 5D for a grand wereas he 7D would run me $1600.

Your argument sounds good to me also. I was basing my argument on how I would choose, and I was assuming your refund would cover the full price of either camera. I was saying to go w/ a 7D because I'd probably save to get the best in quality, which i'm actually in the process of doing (saving for a Nikon D700 :D). But, in the interest of full disclosure, that's only because I have plans of going pro in sports photography (hence the excitement over high ISO, megapixels, and FPS). So, really, either camera would be dope. Let us know what you choose, and looking forward to seeing some shots with your final decision!

yeah for sure. In the meantime i'm definitely getting back to posting more stuff with my ancient ass 20D

i'm also looking to maybe sell my canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS if anyone's looking. probably not though.

Nah, I know that a high megapixel range isn't necessary, especially with sports photography, but I also do some portraiture work, and like to make prints of my good photos for the 'folio. Plus, there's just something breathtaking about a super HQ photo IMO

hmmm I think I def. settled on getting the nikon 18-200mm cause I really hate carrying two lenses and the weight doesn't bother me. Considering upgrading from my D60 to a D90 too, but can't afford the lens and a new body at the same time....must prioritize...probably body first *continues mumbling to self

so i'm in the process of selling my olympus e-620, looking at a day--to-day setup tossing up between a nikon d90 with a tamron 17-50 f2.8 or a lumix gh1 with the 14-140 mm kit

any suggestions on which direction to steer? i mainly do still photography with lots of low light and macro stuff.

Aaah, I really have trouble deciding between the 7D and the 5DmkII!!

I'm currently shooting with a 40D, my go-to lens is a 24-105mm L, and would be great to put on a full frame body! But really tempted by the 7D! All help and insight appreciated!

So I'm trying to find a proper camera bag. I don't think I'll be carrying anything other than a 50mm prime attached to a D90. Been looking at Crumpler's stuff and it seems all right but has anybody tried the Cloak bag?

It seems like a pretty awesome idea and would be perfect with the exception that it doesn't look very padded...

So I'm trying to find a proper camera bag. I don't think I'll be carrying anything other than a 50mm prime attached to a D90. Been looking at Crumpler's stuff and it seems all right but has anybody tried the Cloak bag?

It seems like a pretty awesome idea and would be perfect with the exception that it doesn't look very padded...

you should wait.

I agree with Yardsale. To be honest, I wouldn't drop 50 bucks on a bag if I wasn't carrying multiple lenses.. I understand that it's relatively inexpensive (i bought my current bag for $109) for a bag, but since you're only going to be using one lens/body combo i'd buy something cheaper. I think my first bag held 2-3 lenses in addition to the body and kit lens (while attached to the body), and was less than $30. it was a good bag, and i could easily throw it into a bigger backpack for transportation.

again, this all IMO.

Edit:

Aaah, I really have trouble deciding between the 7D and the 5DmkII!!

I'm currently shooting with a 40D, my go-to lens is a 24-105mm L, and would be great to put on a full frame body! But really tempted by the 7D! All help and insight appreciated!

What kind of photography do you do? You need to factor in what you shoot so you can best decide what features you will need/utilize.

Depends on who you ask. Some people say never to buy anything but the matching lens (Nikkor w/ Nikon, Canon w/ Canon, etc.). But I've shot with a sigma and it didn't really seem any different to me.. I think the main complaint with the "off-brands" is the quality won't be as good as the on-brand, and that they'll break/have problems sooner than the on-brand.

But, both lenses sound like something fun to play with!

i just got my Incase Carrying Case in the mail and took some shots of it. It's even smaller than I imagined. I read some positive and negative reviews about it with most of the negative ones complaining about not being able to fit a DSLR + extra lenses inside.

Since I'm brand new to the DSLR scene and will exclusively be using my 35mm f/1.8G lens I thought any small case would be good. I'm able to fit my D3000 w/ the 35mm lens attached and there's definitely room for the 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G kit lens next to it. Amazing quality like always from Incase.

mnznm

• 2 weeks later...

Need a tripod ASAP.

Any recommendations?

Are dolica ones on amazon decent?

I'm not looking to be a pro. Need something with good cost-quality ratio.

And I have an entry level DSLR, not a D3 or 5D MK2