Digital SLRs?

nairb49

Thanks for the info. I would prefer something with RAW capabilities, but the price and ease of use on the Casio looks good.

So I'm currently using a Nikkor AF-S DX 18-55mm zoom (d5000 kit lens). What next:

24-120mm f3.5-5.6 VR AF-D?

AF 35-135mm?

AFS DX VR 55-200mm?

I'm leaning towards the 55-200 because of the max focal length.

I'd go with the 55-200, especially if you already have the 18-55. I use the 18-135 frequently and have no real complaints, but that extra zoom would be nice in some situations. The VR on the 55-200 is a big plus too, especially since it can't be stopped down as far as some other lenses.

So I'm currently using a Nikkor AF-S DX 18-55mm zoom (d5000 kit lens). What next:

AF 35-135mm?

AFS DX VR 55-200mm?

I'd lean to the 55-200 as well just know that it's not going to be *amazing* in low light. It'll do well, but it won't excel.

In all reality, anything that would perform well at that range would cost an arm and a leg.

AF 35-135mm?

AFS DX VR 55-200mm?

Depends what you plan on shooting. The 55-200VR was the first extra lens I got with my d40 kit, but except for at sporting events and occasionally outdoors, I find I don't use this lens very much because it is of limited range (80-300mm 35mm equiv) and s l o w aperature. The VR helps with hand shake, but not with stopping motion. Good news is that it's cheap, really cheap, you could probably find one for a little more than $100 if you are willing to scour ebay or CL for a used one.

Similar to the 55-200, the 24-120VR is slow and although wider, 24mm on a DX sensor, just isn't quite wide enough most of the time. I think that the 18-105VR would be cheaper and although shorter on the long end, the extra 6mm on the wide end is definitely worth it. The 24-120 is slightly more expensive since it is FX. By selling the 18-55 you could get the 18-105VR for about $250.

I don't think the 35-135 is AF-S so I don't think it will autofocus on the D5000, which would make it a terrible choice on that body.

So if you want reach, the 55-200VR would fit the bill cheaply, the 70-300VR might be better for more reach, but it starts at $400-500 on the secondary market. I would suggest the 35mm AF-S if you are looking for something more useful. With the D5000 CMOS sensor and the f/1.8 of the 35, you can take substantially better pictures in low light and have more versatility with DoF

should i get a d90 now off of craigslist or wait a bit for something new?

If you are in the market for a mid-level D-SLR, then I would get a D90 now. I've been shooting one for the better part of the year now and it's been everything I've wanted after stepping up from the D40. And if you are worried about something better coming along, the D90 was introduced about a year ago so it's replacement is probably at least another year away. You'd have to wait for a D4, D800, and D400 before the D90 replacement would be introduced. What I would do is get the D90, use it for a year or so and sell it for $900 when the D400 is announced and sit on that cash until the replacement comes along.

Also: Does anyone have experience with the 10-24 DX? I'm really considering getting one with some money I've saved up and after selling some jawns

+1 to everything soonami said. The 55-200mm VR was the first extra lens I got as well, and pretty much all it's been doing is gathering dust.

I would suggest the 35mm AF-S if you are looking for something more useful.

This. The 35mm f/1.8G would be my first recommendation for anyone shooting Nikon DX. A fast lens just allows you so much more freedom, and once you get used to it, there's really no going back; I haven't touched my kit lens since. And for only $200, there's really no excuse not to get one.

Also: Does anyone have experience with the 10-24 DX? I'm really considering getting one with some money I've saved up and after selling some jawns

Have you looked at its predecessor, the 12-24mm? It's basically the same lens minus 2mm at the wide end, and with a constant aperture, but can be had for much less since everyone's after the newer 10-24mm now; I got mine for $500 used.

^^ thought about it since the 12-24 does "pump" as KenRock would call it, in that the 10-24 moves front and back while zooming. But I think the extra 2mm on the wide end is totally worth it. Nice get on the 12-24 for $500, but I think I'll pony up the extra and get a new lens + warranty from an American supplier if I decide to get it

Besides Billingham, what other steezy camera bags? Don't like my stock Nikon bag's look, and prefer a filson-esque or vintage looking type.

Samy's Camera in Los Angeles stocks a bag called the Kenko Tropical Bag that looks remarkably similar to a Billingham, but costs about a 1/5th of the price.

• 2 weeks later...

So long as the camera has Swedish as a language option (my D90 does) you can easily change the language in the Setup Menu. This should hold true no matter where you buy your camera.

The only issue would be whether a Swedish Nikon dealer would honor the warranty or if you would have to send it back to Germany to get warranty work done on it.

I am really enjoying the D90. I like how it handles, color rendition, and low light sensitivity. The AF motor drive is nice when I'm using the 50/1.8 or 28-105/3.5-4.5. It's small and light enough with the 35/1.8 AF-S for me to carry with my everyday.

The only gripes I have are that the video capabilities are weak, it's got that jello wiggling thing from the line-by-line scanning, and that the meter is prone to occaisionally over-expose in especially low light and direct sun.

100 pounds is a considerable amount of money, but it might be worth it to call Nikon's customer service department to see what they say about purchasing it in Germany

I'd disagree - it's more useful for something artistic (fixed frame, limited motion) and less useful for filming stuff as it goes on (when it requires motion/tracking).

I'm also inclined to agree that it overexposes - i basically always have mine set at -0.7 for any lens.