Digital SLRs?

nairb49

real gay

DLR's are made to be dinged up and beaten up, they can take it, I don't really see the point of a faggy pack

a magnesium alloy pro body...but not an entry level dslr.

get a backpack that can hold 2 bodies and 2-3 lenses, if you end up expanding and getting more lenses, a backup body, an external flash unit, filters, cable release, extra batteries, you'll need the room.

HERE IT COMES!

I know this has been asked 100X before but.................I've just come into some money, and I'm looking for a cannon or nikon under $1,000 thats good for a beginner. What should I get, or be on the look out for?

If you want to go full frame spend $200 more and get a 5D + 50 1.8 for 1200 something. What do you want to shoot with it? Do you need a high framerate?

finally getting another digital camera but i have no idea if i should wait for a replacement for the d40(will there be one?) or check out the e-p1/gf-1

i had a d90 with a 50mm f/1.8 before and i loved it but i was forced to sell. looking towards the d40 because i had one before and the photos i took were no different than the d90(to me at least). probably going to use the 35mm f/1.8 this time around though.

finally getting another digital camera but i have no idea if i should wait for a replacement for the d40(will there be one?) or check out the e-p1/gf-1

i had a d90 with a 50mm f/1.8 before and i loved it but i was forced to sell. looking towards the d40 because i had one before and the photos i took were no different than the d90(to me at least). probably going to use the 35mm f/1.8 this time around though.

The 35mm is a great little lens. Much more useful than the 50mm actually if you use a cropped sensor

It's on my camera 99% of the time, that other 1% is when I use a wide-angle for waywt

read through like 100 pages of this thread ... def convinced me not to downgrade to point and shoot.. im going to sell my nikon d50 with its 18-55mm kit lens to upgrade to a nikon d90. ive all ready got an sb600 and 50mm 1.8. i just need to find a good wide angle too use as my every day lens. any ideas as to a good everyday type lense that will have a nice wide angle for indoor shots and work well in low light conditions? i also wanna grab a peleng 8mm fish eye, as it seems like a fun lens and alot cheaper than nikons fisheyes.

Still don't know why they didn't go FF with this one and make it 12 mp. And why they just keep upping MP count, especially on APS-C camera's? At this point it's too much, the sensors outresolve lenses, and the amount of noise is just terrible. Shouldve gone the Nikon way ( D3/D3s)... On another note, I'm not too happy with the performance of my 50D( noise, sharpness), and am thinking of trading it in for a used 5d mark 1 or waiting for the price to drop on a 1ds Mkii. Anyone have any suggestions? I like to make big prints ( 30 x 40 is the biggest I've gone so far) and the results are pretty good, but I may just have to switch to MF film to go bigger... May even be able to pick up a used DB for the same price as a 1dsmk2 ...

The 35mm is a great little lens. Much more useful than the 50mm actually if you use a cropped sensor

It's on my camera 99% of the time, that other 1% is when I use a wide-angle for waywt

what wide-angle do you use? i was looking at the tokina 11-16 before but it's still mighty expensive when the 35mm does most of what i need it to do.

How about a cannon Rebel XTI?

no idea since i've never owned one but never confuse photo taking skills with the price of a camera. i think i've taken my best photos with a nikon d40 and the kit lense. and on the second day i got it.

also; (n00b question) what exactly is the built in wide flash on the top of the sb600 used for?

duh, wide shots. It helps diffuse the flash if you don't have a special diffuser or can't bouncer so it fills a little more

what do you guys think; Tokina 11-16mm vs Nikon 20mm f/2.8? the tokina would be wider at 11mm i assume, and is around the same price. im stumped. id get the Nikon 10-24mm f/3.5-4.5G E but its wayyy too expensive. i want a nice wide angle to shoot skate photos and indoor activities like parties at low light. im also thinking about the peleng 8mm fisheye.

what do you guys think; Tokina 11-16mm vs Nikon 20mm f/2.8? the tokina would be wider at 11mm i assume, and is around the same price. im stumped. id get the Nikon 10-24mm f/3.5-4.5G E but its wayyy too expensive. i want a nice wide angle to shoot skate photos and indoor activities like parties at low light. im also thinking about the peleng 8mm fisheye.

Might wanna look into the Nikon 12-24mm f/4, which can be had for as little as $500 used now, since everyone's after the newer 10-24. It's basically the same lens, though, minus 2mm at the wide end, and with a fixed aperture. Build quality is actually better than the 10-24 too.

what wide-angle do you use? i was looking at the tokina 11-16 before but it's still mighty expensive when the 35mm does most of what i need it to do.
I just use the 18-55 on the 18mm focal length.

If one day I need a wide for something more important, I'd probably get the 12-24. As aqhong said, the extra 2mm are not really worth it on the 10-24, and I don't really care for the tokina either.

speaking of which, if you guys are looking for that Tokina, you better try your local camera stores, they often have a couple. That's how I got my 35mm back when it was released too. BH and Adorama are always out of stock.

edit: damnit, I hate ken rockwell. He makes it sound like he's some grand master of photography, like he can teach all of us, and then you look at his pictures and it's all fucking boring. They don't tell a story, they don't bring up any emotion in the viewer, they have no personality, just some bland, unoriginal rubbish that's well composited and over-sharpened.

You can't teach how to create a masterpiece unless you've created one yourself.

i wish i got a 35mm, but the 50mm was so much cheaper. still a very good lens for the price.

Still don't know why they didn't go FF with this one and make it 12 mp. And why they just keep upping MP count, especially on APS-C camera's? At this point it's too much, the sensors outresolve lenses, and the amount of noise is just terrible. Shouldve gone the Nikon way ( D3/D3s)... On another note, I'm not too happy with the performance of my 50D( noise, sharpness), and am thinking of trading it in for a used 5d mark 1 or waiting for the price to drop on a 1ds Mkii. Anyone have any suggestions? I like to make big prints ( 30 x 40 is the biggest I've gone so far) and the results are pretty good, but I may just have to switch to MF film to go bigger... May even be able to pick up a used DB for the same price as a 1dsmk2 ...

If you're in the business of making 30 x 40 prints, the range of 12 – 15 MP won't be enough anyway. Either you shoot 645 with a digi back, or you can use plugins to scale your images to print size (or both).

If you play the megapixel game you'll get diminishing returns every time.

Of course m4/3 will fall short to dslr in terms of quality, but you're getting vastly improved quality, lens and speed over a PnS.

Also m4/3 is a damn portable innovation, I don't need an entire bag to place my external flash, lens etc like in a dslr setup.

Lastly, I look fucking bad-ass toting a GF1 around. :D

ah yea i remember you asking for opinions on the gf1 in the other thread. what made you choose the gf1 over the pen?