Digital SLRs?

nairb49

I have an LX3 and my mother bought a G10, so I've used both quite a bit. If they put the LX3's sensor/lens into the G10's body it would be the perfect compact.

I love having analog dials for ISO and over/underexposure as well as a wheel for aperture/shutter speed AND a 4-way controller. The controls on the G10 are probably the best of any compact, better than many entry-level dSLRs actually. Also it's rugged as hell, whereas the LX3 is kinda frail.

But yeah, the LX3 takes infinitely better pictures.

Usually I have a foam square (with velcro on the corners) which can be folded neatly as a package.

But those in humid locations (me included) are told to invest in a dehumidifier.

Thinking about picking up a wide angle zoom. The Tokina 12-24mm f/4 is looking like the best option, as the Nikon 12-24 is about $200 more and the Sigma and Tamron offerings aren't quite as good optically. However, theres a new version of the Tokina out with a built in focus motor and sigma announced a new 10-20mm f/3.5 lens.

Does anyone know if these lenses are significant improvements over their predecessors in terms of image quality? I don't care about f/3.5 or the built in motor

Thinking about picking up a wide angle zoom. The Tokina 12-24mm f/4 is looking like the best option, as the Nikon 12-24 is about $200 more and the Sigma and Tamron offerings aren't quite as good optically. However, theres a new version of the Tokina out with a built in focus motor and sigma announced a new 10-20mm f/3.5 lens.

Does anyone know if these lenses are significant improvements over their predecessors in terms of image quality? I don't care about f/3.5 or the built in motor

Hmmm, well I can't say about Sigma as I don't own a Sigma wide angle lens(only prime ones D:) But my uncle has a wide angle Tamron and while it doesn't offer the zoom range I'd like it takes really nice landscape shots, and wide angle perspectives are fantastic on it.

how do you guys store your DSLR at home? do you keep it in the bag? or just let it sit outside?

I carry my D40 with me everyday in my messenger bag. It's light and small enough that I can carry it without noticing. And it's cheap enough that I don't worry about fucking it up too much by dropping it or w/e

Sorry, but I don't have any input on the third-party lenses except the Tamron 70-200 2.8 and 17-55 2.8

most of the components in that kit are cheap pieces of shit that will probably break or you'll grow out of in a week. there are canon rebates going on right now, you can find a better deal on a 40d elsewhere.

• 2 weeks later...

But if you guys need batteries for your nikons or canons... Wolf Camera and Ritz Camera are running out of business. I picked up two for my d90 for 10 dollars total.

Do you mean that all ritz Camera and wolf Camera are going out of buisness, or just your local stores?

just get a 30/40d, a single decent lens (ex. tamron 17-50), a 50/1.8, a memory card, and a gorilla tripod

you can buy all that other junk later

• 2 weeks later...

Depends on format. If you are shooting crop, <25mm would be considered wide. Most kit lenses zoom out to 17 or 18mm, which is what I normally use. There is some distortion, but for the price, free, nothing to complain about. But I've borrowed a friend's 12-24 Nikkor DX, and that was really wide on the short end, but it and the new 10-24mm are like ~$1000 retail.

What many people don't realize is that shorter focal length lenses are often much more complex and thus expensive, but they can be tremendously useful.

Finally broke down and bought a d90. It is a world of difference from the d40-- it does everything so much better. Can't wait to take it on my trip to the Smokey's later this month. I'll shoot some 35mm also to compare

Just bought my first dslr. Any recommendations on what books I can purchase to help me in taking pictures. I pretty much know close to nothing. I know this has probably been asked before but I can't use the search button, for some reason it takes me back to the sufu main page whenever I click it.

im thinking bout getting my first dslr, my friend is suggesting me to get the canon rebel xsi. he has a 40d and said we can swap lenses which would be cool. Would this be a good camera for someone just getting into photography? or should i look into something cheaper?

rebel xsi is a good camera to get into digital photography. you also can look at canon 20d which is more pro and sturdier/better grip though older. if you feel like spending less money you can get a rebel xti. I had one 6 months when i started photography (it just came out) and liked it a lot.