Digital SLRs?

nairb49

just got a sony a100 w/ lens kit and filters for a late hanukka present

Anybody have any recommendations of their favourite lens filter for a Nikon D40?

I've seen video cameras with shooting glasses that make everything look fuzzy and warm... anything for a Nikon like that?

where's a good place to learn about lenses? I have a nikon d80 with the stock 18-135mm lens and am not feeling it at all. Need something a little more advanced but dont really know where to look. Dpreview doesnt seem to have too many lens reviews

my buddy has a 24-105mm f/4.0Lfor his canon and that thing is a sweet ass lens. Is there anything comparable to that for nikons?

For the most part you can type in ________ (name of lens) Review on google and a decent amount of results will come up.

Also check http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/. The reviews are more diverse and candid and offer a great place to just do some quick research to see what sort of problems (if any) can be associated with a lens.

i really didn't give it any thought until a friend of mine showed me some deal where you can pick up the 20d for 500.

is trading my xti worth it?

probably not. you get fewer megapixels (8 vs 10) so if you want to crop or blow up you'll have less flexibility,. maybe mp's don't matter to you though. the screen is much smaller and lower res on the 20d. as far as camera IQ goes, i don't know that it's any better because it's about 2 years older than the xti. i would think the only real advantage of the 20d over the xti is the build quality. maybe someone else has a different opinion, but as a casual shooter, i would say stick with the xti and learn how to use it before moving on to semi-pro gear.

jesus christ, after reading ken's review of the d80, i can see why you tihnk hes an idiot. God only knows what he's basing his reviews on, lol

thanks to everyone for their help and recommendations. Does anyone have any experience with the 16-85mm VR? I had a chance to mess around with one and i did like it a lot.....

anyone interested in an 18-135mm?

I just found out that I have some dead pixels on my D40's sensor? Everytime when I take a picture, there's a red line in it. I'm probably screwed, since I bought this camera in the US and therefore the warranty doesn't apply in Europe.

Is there any way I can fix this myself easily? Or how much would it approximately cost me to get this fixed? I read somewhere that they might need to replace the sensor...

^ congrats but those 2 lens suck, sell them and get a 50/1.8 instead.

the 50/1.8 may be a good lens, but that doesn't seem like the best advice for a beginner. those two lenses cover a wide focal range. that'll help him figure out what he likes to shoot the most, which will determine what his next upgrade will be. i don't see the point in limiting yourself right off the bat. maybe to focus on "fundamentals," but i don't know if he'd really be better off that way.

sunkenshoes, sounds like you're out of luck. there's no way you can repair the sensor yourself and i'm sure it'll cost a bundle to have it replaced. good luck.

just upgraded from a d60 to a d90. Does anybody have any favorite color settings? from what i've been looking at, it seems that "vivid" corresponds to color mode III while standard is color mode II. Is there a better way to weak these rather than using the presets?

get a sigma 30mm f/1.4.... a 50mm is too restrictive with the cropped sensor

yeah a 50mm on a 23.6mm frame camera is a 75mm equivalent in 35mm frame terms, which is getting on for a portrait lens.

so i want to get my girlfriend a dslr for her birthday but unfortunately i know nothing about photography/cameras. anyhow, she's really into art and needs an upgrade from her point & shoot. looking to spend little more than 1000.

i read through the thread a bit and it looks like the canon 40d is something she'll be able to start with and keep for a while. however, does anyone suggest any other body to start with that might be lighter for her hands without feeling cheap?

also, will body affect what kind of lenses she can use since i'm not in the price range for a full frame sensor body? should i go with the typical kit like ones from bestbuy or just buy the body and glass separately (it seems like most of you dislike the kit lens 28-135 but she's just starting)?

any advice would be great, cheers.