sick of pop fiction...

keri

And that's all I've been reading, I have been reading stuff out of my in law's collection mainly lately, and I'm getting a little bored with it.

So any recommendations for either really good fiction or some non boring non fiction would be appreciated. I'm pretty into boigraphies and history type stuff.

Guest StuckOnStupid

Gravity's Rainbow, and The Crying Of Lot 49...both by tommy pynchon

then you should read Kafka on the Shore by Haruki Muramaki...this book made me feel really good.

fuck it read Muramaki first. it's that great.

Austerlitz by W. G. Sebald. Great book.

I guess anything by Murakami is pretty good, I like Kafka on the Shore and The wind-up Bird Chronicle.

If you like history you'll like The Devil in the White City by Erik Larson. Tell me what other books you liked (or disliked) and I can give you few more.

• 3 weeks later...

for historical books i'd go with the Flashman papers every time.

that may just mean i'm a sexist bigot, though.

he's an imperialist anti-hero but, rather than coming across as offensive, the books are just fucking funny. and the historical detail in them is heavy. there's about 12 in the series, by George MacDonald Fraser, should keep you occupied for a while.

for really good fiction, i'd maybe go for Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy.

for biographical tings, i've never read better than the Proud Highway by Hunter S Thompson.

personally, i'm off to get that motley crue book though...