usa :: austin :: general

whorishconsumer

The Barney's co-op men's section in the Domain is still pretty small but supposedly they are expanding. They mostly have Jeans and button ups right now. No shoes but are supposedly getting some in the fall. They start a new sale today I believe, a lot of stuff almost half off. They have one rack of APC but no APC denim really. It is a good start though.

Any of you guys know a good tailor in Austin? Thanks

so i'm born and raised in austin, though i went to rutgers for college, and lived in shitty san diego for a hot minute, i also work at waterloo records, as well as host a few weekly and monthly dj parties around town.

I'll agree that this town can at times leave something to be desired in terms of shopping and a wider range of cultural activities. However, in the 28 years i've lived here i truly think that this is a really interesting time to be in Austin. It's a city thats changing and growing. Some feel for the worse, others cant wait to get their money into a "loft" downtown.

As a dj i have to agree and admit that unless it's red river rock n roll, or indie rock there isnt much "interesting music" happening in the public eye. It's sad, but there are people in this city who know what goes on in other cities and are trying hard to bring an alternative in party life here. It'll happen one day i'm sure.

As for places to shop:

First i second, third, and forth the Factory People nod, but you need to also check out Feathers (mostly only womens stuff) on South Congress and Palinberg over on northloop, i bought half of their mens stuff the other day when i went in there. there's also Service mens wear, but they're kind of hit or miss.

If you wanna rep local designers dont sleep on Parts & Labor also on S. Congress.

For music:

like i said i work at waterloo so come on in, ask for ian i'll point you in the right direction.

but also with out a doubt head over to end of an ear on south first, cross the street and hit up dj dojo, if you want punk head over to sound on sound on north loop, but my personal favorite is the Back Spin records on north burnet just shy of north loop ( and across the street from the best thrift store.) Back Spin has the tasty records, disco, electro, italo, hip hop, miami bass, old prog, old metal...one of the best vinyl selections in town...the prices are a little high, but it's worth it.

ok that was a long one...gotta go

• 1 month later...

I finally got around to checking out Factory People. They had a fairly good selection of jeans especially in smaller sizes like 28 and 29. For everything else though I thought it was disappointing. For t-shirts and hoodies and things like that I think Barney's Co-op in The Domain has a better selection of designer stuff.

The only other thing that really stood out to me about Factory People was they have a few nice designer shoes. A few Surface To Air shoes and some other brands.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

I've got plans set for moving to Austin in 2 months. Just wanted to say what up to all my future Austinites.

Current plan is to survive off of as little as possible while I spend most of my free time on research & development of a high end whamola or similar instrument (I suppose we'll see how it develops). Also plan on joining up with the Austin Longboard Club, assuming they'll take me in with open arms. Gotta figure out how I'm gonna afford health insurance though. Come on, Obama...make it happen!

I'll be in Austin this weekend. I read this thread. There were a few clothing spots mentioned (mostly Barney's and factory something). Any other good spots? Vintage?

Also, what bars are good as far as delicious beer goes?

How about coffee/lunch spots?

Any help is much appreciated.

I'll be in Austin this weekend. I read this thread. There were a few clothing spots mentioned (mostly Barney's and factory something). Any other good spots? Vintage?

Also, what bars are good as far as delicious beer goes?

How about coffee/lunch spots?

Any help is much appreciated.

factory people is gone, unless it has come back and I don't know about it. Check out Bows and Arrows. http://shopbowsplusarrows.com/ Their mens selection is a bit better than on the website, though.

For beer, you have some options. Kind of depends on where you are staying. Around UT, I like this place called Crown and Anchor. Decent to good selection and good happy hour prices.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&client=safari&rls=en-us&ei=FVraSZndH9TgtgflvM3hDw&resnum=0&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=crown+and+anchor+austin&fb=1&split=1&gl=us&view=text&latlng=17984295875017539577

For pure selection, there is this place called The Flying Saucer, but it's a chain and is kind of cheesy and overpriced.

I'd say to try out some local stuff. Live Oak Hefeweizen, Live Oak Big Bark, Real Ale Brewhouse Brown, etc...

Again, food and coffee kind of depends on where you are staying/transportation and what you like. Around UT, my favorite coffee is at a place called JP's. (http://www.jpsjava.com/). They have a Clover machine, so you can get a really good cup of coffee there. And nice patio if the weather is good.

I'll recommend food after you respond with a few more details, but you should try to make it to Torchy's for tacos regardless.

I'm staying just northwest of the city. Not actually in the city. So my options are open as far as places to go, as we will be driving into town. Friday I plan on renting bikes, and riding around the city. The city seems small, so I figured we could get a lot in that way.

I definitely want to try local beer. I read once in a Michael Jackson book I have how the founder of hoegarden (not sure how you spell that), moved to Austin and started a new brewery. Since that was probably 20 years or more i figured people have figured out what decent beer tastes like down there. Thanks for the local suggestions, I'm gonna keep my eyes out for some live oak stuff.

As far as food goes, I want to get some authentic Mexican (gonna check out Torchy's), and BBQ. That's all I have at this moment. My girlfriend's brother made reservations at Lambert's. Seems good...local raised food and such, How do you feel about that choice?

Got any suggestions on good hikes? I searched and there are a million trails around Austin. So if you have a few that you prefer that would be an awesome suggestion.

I'm staying just northwest of the city. Not actually in the city. So my options are open as far as places to go, as we will be driving into town. Friday I plan on renting bikes, and riding around the city. The city seems small, so I figured we could get a lot in that way.

I definitely want to try local beer. I read once in a Michael Jackson book I have how the founder of hoegarden (not sure how you spell that), moved to Austin and started a new brewery. Since that was probably 20 years or more i figured people have figured out what decent beer tastes like down there. Thanks for the local suggestions, I'm gonna keep my eyes out for some live oak stuff.

As far as food goes, I want to get some authentic Mexican (gonna check out Torchy's), and BBQ. That's all I have at this moment. My girlfriend's brother made reservations at Lambert's. Seems good...local raised food and such, How do you feel about that choice?

Got any suggestions on good hikes? I searched and there are a million trails around Austin. So if you have a few that you prefer that would be an awesome suggestion.

Renting bikes is a good idea. Lots of hills, though, so be ready for that.

And yeah, plenty of good local beer to try.

Torchy's isn't exactly authentic mexican (at all), but it is still awesome. If you want more real mexican tacos, try El Chilito (though there are probably cheaper, better real mexican tacos to be had if you're willing to look for them). There's a place called Julio's that has some fucking AMAZING rotisserie chicken in a fun little neighborhood north of campus. And plenty of little Mexican places in South Austin.

As far as BBQ goes, most of the BEST places are a bit of a drive out of Austin, but if you want a day trip, you could do that. I've never eaten at Lambert's, but I know that it's like..."upmarket barbecue." It's supposed to be very good, though, so sounds like a fun choice.

I'm really not a big hiker, honestly, so I don't have much input on the trails.

For food reviews or to look for other places to eat, check out this site:

http://www.fearlesscritic.com/

Thanks for the help. I appreciate it. I'll most likely check out the places you recommended, and report back.

disclaimer: i haven't been to el chilito in a minute, and I've heard some people say it's kind of fallen off a bit with its rise in popularity...but others still love it. You could go there for breakfast tacos or something? Whatever...lots of good food to be had.

One of my favorites I forgot to mention is this indian place called Swad in far north austin...so probably closer to where you are staying. All vegetarian, all awesome.

• 2 months later...

just wanted to dig this up and put my 2 cents in about the city i live in and love.

if i was to give a description of austin it is a friendly hippie/folk, bohemian, progressive town (for texas), with a big dose of country, rock, jazz and blues music influences and a tiny, tiny ounce of scene.

its a laid back place. no one cares if your wearing the latest anne demeulemeester assymetrical cardigan. you'll definitely get good points for your creativity and your balls to wear it - but people will laugh at you when you tell them you bought it for $500.

austin style is a mish mash. of course you have urban outfitters/the 3 AA stores we have here dominating the younger crowd with skinny jeans, flannels, and wayfarers -

. . . but when i think of true indiginous austin style - like the style that would be here if there weren't all the young college kids copping the latest shit at UO - it would be more of that 70's country/folk/rock look - think crosby stills and nash, fleetwood mac, the eagles etc.

things i love about town - austin is all about local business and our hometown one of a kinds. i can't tell you the last time i frequented a subway, pizza hut, or taco bell (sick) - when we have local joints like thundercloud subs, homeslice pizzeria, and el chilito (a taco counter).

food is generally above avg here. i think what austin has going for it is the concepts. for example we have a burger joint called p.terry's. the owners conceived the idea after seeing 'supersize me' - so the decided to create a fast food joint with real, all natural food (including an in house veggie burger) and socially conscious values, all while still keeping the price point pretty cheap. this is just one example, there are tons of others.

someone mentioned local breweries. there are about 4. there's the new uncle billy's which is a restaurant where all the beers are served in house are made on the premises. there's 512, live oak, and one other i can't think of. then of course there's lone star which is like THE cheap beer to drink in this town.

bars? where do i start? we've got dives galor. one of my faves is called Rio Rita and they serve 12 different infused locally distilled vodkas (lavender, raspberry, even habanero, it's awesome in a bloody mary). if you want upscale or a little more straight laced go to 2nd street (but its mostly filled with the yuppies in the lofts that move there and don't really do austin the right way). 6th street is gross to me, but its one of those places you take someone if they've never been to austin - 3 blocks of laid back bars and live music - but mostly frequented by annoyong college kids and fratties or tourists. i think most sufu'ers would dig the 7th/Red River district - it has hipster/scene/old school punk tendencies but it really is where you'll find the latest and greatest in music and live shows.

its a healthier city than most texas cities. people are very active and outdoorsy. its impossible to see the trails and the river that runs through the city empty on the weekends. tons of bike routes run through the city for the cyclists and all the hipsters on their single speeds ha. barton springs is a natural cold water spring located in south central austin that attracts crowds of people on weekends. whole foods started in austin so we have the ginormous headquarters downtown.

music scene is growing and becoming more diverse. austin is more of a rock/blues/country influenced town. i'm originally from houston, and what i know we lack is a decent hip hop/rap scene. indie rock/pop is starting to make more of a presence which i've noticed more and more over the last ACL's and SXSW music festivals.

for shopping, again, you're not going to find a bunch of stores, but the stores we do have, have a slightly more adventurous, deeper product depth and less conservative feel than anywhere else in tx. factory people and by george (the men's shop) are now gone. few places to checkout would be service menswear, bows and arrows, hovercraft, barney's coop.

not a huge list but remember, austin is laid back, no one gives 2 shits about labels. there isn't a pressure here to look expensive as much as there is to look creative and unique. there are more upscale sophisticated places to go here, and we do dressup on occasion but its never flashy or over the top.

living here in austin and working as a marketing consultant you come to realize austin really does have its own very unique, hometown feel. i've seen many, many businesses come through here, not do their research, not do enough to try to blend in and become part of the culture, and totally fail in a matter of months. i've traveled to a lot of places people consider similar - and i do endup liking them, but i don't know what it is about here, that makes me always want to come back to it.

anywho, come visit.

For food reviews or to look for other places to eat, check out this site:

http://www.fearlesscritic.com/

i say use Yelp instead. the austin community has one of the most active Yelp communities.

besides, the fearless critic just rated Pho Saigon the best pho place in austin - when i liken it to the Walmart of pho joints here - extremely fast, cheap, but totally, completely bland and lacking the soul that real pho tastes like :)

oh yeah austin HATES walmart

• 6 months later...

I lived in Austin for about one year from 2007-08

Throughout that time I had the opportunity to try some of the best pho and tacos I have ever had.

BEST TACOS: Taco Deli

www.tacodeli.com

BEST PHO: Pho Saigon

www.phosaigonnoodlehouse.com

Trust me, this is my first post on this forum but I have been using superfuture for years. The fact that I am actually spending time posting all this information is because I mean it. I have been to countless number of Taco/Pho places and NOTHING ELSE COMPARES TO THESE.

Please enjoy.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Kind of early but I'm considering UT Austin for graduate school in about a year. For my program, the school seems great.

The city sounds pretty interesting as well. Here's my background: grew up in Los Angeles, went to high school in Tampa, went to college for two years in NYC, but now I'm back in Florida (Gainesville) for the last part of undergrad. I have a year left.

NYC was really great but at the same time I really did not like having to balance school with living in such an awesome place. Gainesville on the other hand, is really laid back and while the school is good, the town can get pretty boring. Austin seems like a good balance between the two and I really am into live music so that is another plus.

This isn't super important but I was just wondering about the climate. I honestly like living in a place where it's warm all year round but Florida is TOO hot and TOO humid. Los Angeles has pretty ideal weather for me.

How's the weather in Austin? Humidity? Winters? Keep in mind I'm coming from the sunshine state but I've also lived a few years in NY.

Thanks and I'd appreciate the help. For now, UT and UCLA are the two schools I'm really aiming for.

Kind of early but I'm considering UT Austin for graduate school in about a year. For my program, the school seems great.

The city sounds pretty interesting as well. Here's my background: grew up in Los Angeles, went to high school in Tampa, went to college for two years in NYC, but now I'm back in Florida (Gainesville) for the last part of undergrad. I have a year left.

NYC was really great but at the same time I really did not like having to balance school with living in such an awesome place. Gainesville on the other hand, is really laid back and while the school is good, the town can get pretty boring. Austin seems like a good balance between the two and I really am into live music so that is another plus.

This isn't super important but I was just wondering about the climate. I honestly like living in a place where it's warm all year round but Florida is TOO hot and TOO humid. Los Angeles has pretty ideal weather for me.

How's the weather in Austin? Humidity? Winters? Keep in mind I'm coming from the sunshine state but I've also lived a few years in NY.

Thanks and I'd appreciate the help. For now, UT and UCLA are the two schools I'm really aiming for.

It appears that Austin is hotter and marginally less humid than Gainesville.

Austin:

http://www.myforecast.com/bin/climate.m?city=30113&metric=false

Gainesville:

http://www.myforecast.com/bin/climate.m?city=KGNV&metric=false&selectedMonthNum=6

I'm finishing up undergrad at UT, but have lived in Dallas my whole life and spent a lot of time in Austin before going to school there, so there weren't really many surprises.

Basically, here's how I see it:

Good: Food (particularly on a student budget), quite bike-friendly, music, grocery stores, outdoorsy stuff/pretty environment, bars, coffee shops, JetBlue flies into the airport, good bus system, etc...

Bad: Weather, traffic and bad drivers and shitty roads, Spurs fans, no professional sports teams (and the Spurs are the closest thing), identity crisis, etc...

Basically, it's a great city with a lot going for it. And bad traffic. I bet you'd enjoy spending a few years there even with the heat and humidity.

Feel free to PM me if you have any other specific questions or just want to talk about the school or whatever. I'm happy to help.

I'm original from Houston, and spent 4 years in Austin for undergrad at UT. Austin does have a lot going for it, but I honestly think it's slightly overrated (great for college though, I just wouldn't want to live there right out of college).

People from Houston love to say how Austin is "dry heat" compared to Houston, but IMO that's BS...both cities are godawfully humid in the summertime.

Great good if you like texmex, BBQ, and brunch. Not much at all in terms of authentic international cuisine. Sure there are so bougie ethnic eateries, but nothing like you'd find in NY, Chicago, LA, Houston, etc.

Not very racially diverse either. Apart from the university population...Austin is predominantly white and Mexican.

Great good if you like texmex, BBQ, and brunch. Not much at all in terms of authentic international cuisine. Sure there are so bougie ethnic eateries, but nothing like you'd find in NY, Chicago, LA, Houston, etc.

this isn't really true so much anymore.

A few good indian places off the top of my head, some good real mexican, vietnamese, ethiopian, pizza, and others.

Obviously not on par with those other cities you mentioned, but it's a much smaller place, so it's not really a fair comparison. Austin is getting better in that regard though, from what I can tell.

this isn't really true so much anymore.

A few good indian places off the top of my head, some good real mexican, vietnamese, ethiopian, pizza, and others.

Obviously not on par with those other cities you mentioned, but it's a much smaller place, so it's not really a fair comparison. Austin is getting better in that regard though, from what I can tell.

Funny you say that, cause when I made that statement, I was specifically thinking of Indian food in my head.

IMO, the Indian food in Austin is some of the worst in the country, even for a city its size. Clay Pit is pure garbage. Shalimar is even worse.

You're right about Vietnamese though, I have had some good pho on the north side.

Funny you say that, cause when I made that statement, I was specifically thinking of Indian food in my head.

IMO, the Indian food in Austin is some of the worst in the country, even for a city its size. Clay Pit is pure garbage. Shalimar is even worse.

You're right about Vietnamese though, I have had some good pho on the north side.

agree on clay pit

shalimar is hit or miss, for sure, and definitely slightly americanized pakistani/northern indian...I had some goat dish there that was pretty damn good though, once.

Swad, basically across the street from shalimar, is great. All vegetarian, but very good. Best dosa I've had, probably.

And there is this new place called G'raj Mahal (riding the food cart craze). Basically a trailer in a back yard down where red river runs into the river. It certainly has a trendy tinge, but the food was good. I forget exactly what I ordered, but it was a nice dahl dish of some sort.

For pure authenticity, Swad is probably the best bet.

• 2 years later...