Rakuten questions

hewmiri

Japan tax will still apply, And you can avoid customs tax in Canada if the declared value is under $20 for priority type mail or under $60 for air mail parcel.

Shipping cost is $20-30 and they use EMS for sure, either the store ships oversea or you use bid service.

As for if your size fits, I hope you read and calculated before you ask, but i believe Japan makes clothing size smaller but there are always exceptions.

thanks very much! so I WILL get customs tax because it'll be around $200, I guess.

The declared value on the package only, You can ask them to put it on lower value and if they put $200 , you might consider not buying becuz you will be burned with about 40+ in customs tax, and i heard for EMS, puralator steps in for customs (i am not really sure but i think it depends, i know ppl who got burned by puralator like this) and puralator will burn you like fedex with like another 50 bucks for handling fees.Overall, Canada customs is pretty gay.

Oh, man, it's been discussed so many times, not to mention I've posted about it in another thread just one day ago. I don't know why we have to have a separate thread for this.

I've ordered mine from Super Rag, love it and get tons of compliments. They still have some in stock. It's the Inapt "Admiral" Peacoat. Shipping is fast, mine arrived within 4 days, and it cost around $200 (canadian) including shipping.

peacoat.jpg

I bought a Large, I'm 6'2" and 155 pounds.

So, I guess it all depends on how you're built. If you don't have really skinny arms, it won't fit you. The shoulders will also be probably a bit too small. But then again, maybe not. You've got the pictures, you decide. :)

They won't mark it as a Gift or put a lower price on the package, it's against Japanese laws. But I didn't get charged anything by the Canadian customs, I guess I was just lucky...

You can always use 2000db, who will order it for you and then mark it as a gift and send it to you.

I've ordered off rakuten sites many times and I've never gotten charged extra for customs fee...They mark the value in yen on the shipping label and I don't think they'd be willing to lower said value. It should take about 3 days from the time they ship it out to get to Canada (assuming you live near say Vancouver). Just follow the guide on super-rag...

I figured it was'nt worth openning a seperate thread for this question but, what about the opposite of this situation? if I were shipping a package to japan from usa, would the person in japan get charged duty? if so how much? or how do i avoid them being charged duty on the package? if the value of the things being sent is around $250~.

I figured it was'nt worth openning a seperate thread for this question but, what about the opposite of this situation? if I were shipping a package to japan from usa, would the person in japan get charged duty? if so how much? or how do i avoid them being charged duty on the package? if the value of the things being sent is around $250~.

You have to mark it as a gift. Never sent a package to Japan, but this is how it works for every other country in the world, so Japan is probably no different.

You have to mark it as a gift. Never sent a package to Japan, but this is how it works for every other country in the world, so Japan is probably no different.

Yep, I've sent lots of stuff to Japan and have marked it off as gift... No one's ever been charged any additional fees, in my experience anyways.

I'm 5'9 and 160 and the large just barely fits me (in their peacoat not the admiral). My arms are too big (hyooge gunz j/k). I can't fit a longsleeve under the coat. Since you're my weight and about half a foot taller your build will probably fit a size large fine. The armholes are super high, arms cut narrow, and narrow in width. Nice fit for a slim guy, but i'm too fat for it, gotta go run more. If you buy it and it doesn't fit, you shouldn't have a problem selling it on here.

The declared value on the package only, You can ask them to put it on lower value and if they put $200 , you might consider not buying becuz you will be burned with about 40+ in customs tax, and i heard for EMS, puralator steps in for customs (i am not really sure but i think it depends, i know ppl who got burned by puralator like this) and puralator will burn you like fedex with like another 50 bucks for handling fees.Overall, Canada customs is pretty gay.

Purolator will handle packages sent by EMS but will not charge any administrative fees like they would for a regular package (same as UPS and FEDEX) cause EMS is handle by Japan Post and they are not allowed to do so (they sometimes will ask for 5 $ though). so you will only have to pay taxes, but in my experience, they almost never charge you anything when you use EMS. and yeah, Canadian Customs and Canada Post fucking suck.

i have never been charged anything by Japanese custom and when i lived there, i use to order stuff all the time from abroad (mostly Amazon) and i have never been charged any custom fees and the packages were almost always marked at real value so it you lower the value and declare it a gift, you should be fine. it seemed to me that Japanese custom didn't care.

• 10 months later...
Anybody have a rough idea of how much shipping would be for two peacoats, value of about 25000 yen, shipped to Toronto? Any help is much appreciated.

I would guess about 40 or so USD. They will email you to confirm shipping so you can

always back out if it seems like too much.

• 7 years later...

Posting here so it's easier to find. Can anyone describe what the ordering process at Rakuten usually looks like?

I ordered two t-shirts from a shop on Rakuten Global and checked out (with pending shipping costs). A few days later I got their shipping quote by email. As I understood it, you simply reply to the email to confirm the order, which is what I did. It's now been over two weeks and I haven't gotten word from them. My credit card hasn't been charged either, as far as I can tell. I even sent another email a week after asking them to confirm the order, but I didn't get a reply.

Is this normal? Or is there a step I missed?

Any help is much appreciated.

Steps:

1) you made your purchase and received an automatic confirmation from rakuten

2) the rakuten shop will email you confirming the order and will usually say it will take them couple days to determine the shipping rate

3) you will receive an email from the shop with the updated shipping cost

3) you will then receive an email from the shop saying that the item has been shipped (with the tracking number) (they usually ship via EMS)

4) wait til you get your stuff

normally, you don't even need to reply to any email. 

also, did you receive a tracking #?

and the charge on the credit card usually takes a bit (maybe a week or 2)

check out my blog post on shopping on rakuten (also covers a bit on duties and shipping reference): http://furugiyaism.blogspot.ca/

btw which shop did you buy from?

Edited by whizzy