usa :: los angeles :: general

Omnivore

I bring most girls to Fred 62 and they love it, but that's only when we're both wasted but got the munchies. Or get some tapas at Minibar.

HI, I've had a little bit of a look but thought it would be more efficient to create a new thread, the city guide isnt working for some reason (was it ever?).

Basically, I'm travelling to LA on the way back from a months backpacking in Mexico/central america, rather than just transfering back home ive decided to spend a couple of days as ive never been to america before. This is all happening in mid August btw.

1. Where should i stay? Good hostels preferably as I'm backpacking. Close to everything i'm going to want to do.

2. What are the best shops and where are they? I heard theres a new APC shop and and i'll be having a look in Supreme but doubt they'll be much there in August. So basically high end streetwear/casualwear etc.

3 . Good places to visit? Bearing in mind I'm only there for 2 days/nights so only the essentials.

Plus any other tips would be welcome. Thanks!

1. I've lived in LA for +21 years and have no clue where hostels are located in that city. There might be a few nearby Hollywood Blvd, which could be an interesting place to shack up for 2 days, along with easy access to check out some of the more mainstream places like the Mann Chinese, Hollywood Walk of Fame, blah, blah, etc.

2. Check Fairfax, La Brea and Melrose for streetwear. Definitely do-able in a day.

3. Use the search function. Tons of places to see and check out.

did anyone go to EDC "yesterday" night?

i was the only guy selling glowsticks.

i dont think i noticed any sufu people... just etards and crazy white kids.

if you can rent a car, your life will be easier. even though you're going in august, the month which probably has the highest gas prices, you're still going to find it a bargain compared to the UK. If you don't rent a car, well, it's still doable; however, i think that since it's just 2 days, you REALLY should just get a car.

ps: the apc store is really small and not really worth visiting if you only have 2 days. then again, it's not too far by car from supreme/union/undftd/stussy.

good luck!

cheers guys, sadly i cant rent a car although i can see that would be a massive bonus, yeah theres a few hostels in the santa monica area that i might stay in, maybe i'll extend my stay to a few days more.

I would strongly urge you to reconsider. LA has infamously hellacious public transportation. If you aren't in a central area (Santa Monica/Venice, W. Hollywood, etc.) you are going to spend a minimum of 50% of your entire stay trying to navigate the shithole that is the LA bus system.

If anyone lives or goes out in Hollywood, and would like to go to this indie night thing at the Viper Room, drop me a PM and I can get you on the comp list or whatever...I think its 21+.

indie.jpg

Warning: it is indie night, so crowd will be silverlaker-ish...

On a side note, my friend is organizing this thing on the 11th? w/ Ed Bangor, Mr Oizo and DJ c town, if anyone is interested in that, send me a PM. Could be up some of your alleys.

Not Nightlife really but LA question nontheless.

I am going to be staying by LAX for week and a half for a biz trip - I like to get some good west coast tacos while I am stationed out there. Any recommendation for something relatively close to the airport (staying at the westin)? Other eatery in the neighborhood?

I realize this may be like asking someone for food rec around JFK or Laguardia - if someone asked me about spots around NYC airports, i'd have no idea - but thank you in advance.

I would strongly urge you to reconsider. LA has infamously hellacious public transportation. If you aren't in a central area (Santa Monica/Venice, W. Hollywood, etc.) you are going to spend a minimum of 50% of your entire stay trying to navigate the shithole that is the LA bus system.

I couldn't have said this better myself.

LA is not the place to be when you're commuting...I was there last April with my parents and I spent so much money commuting...because we were too impatient to deal with the bus/train system...but if you'll end up commuting..try to just stick with the hollywood/melrose area...

make sure to check out melrose...there are several nice boutiques there like marc by marc jacobs, marc jacobs, paul smith, sportie LA, mulberry, addidas store, etc etc

also check out la brea too where undefeated, american rag, etc etc....

have fun..

san francisco has way much better transpo system...

JP

Off of Melrose:

APC (Croft)

Supreme (Fairfax)

UNDFTD/Stussy/Union + American Rag + Buffalo Exchange (La Brea)

Merose

Hmmm...Melrose. This used to be the spot when I was in high school. Mostly you'll find shops that will make you look like a Persian clubber going to smoke hooka in Westwood with girls in velour sweatsuits. The only notables I can conjure up are Barracuda (stocks some Umbro Kim Jones and other cool things), Urban Outfitters (eww!), Brooklyn Projects (skateboard shop), and if you are into vintage: Slow and Wasteland.

WESC - Robertson - West LA

(nice knits)

Little Tokyo - RIF (sneakers), Pop Killer (Vintage)

The Grove (3rd and Fairfax-ish) - They have a Barney's COOP

Scout and Built by Wendy are also on 3rd near the Grove/Farmers Market

Blends/Carve (Downtown LA - 4th St., between Spring and Los Angeles St.)

Carve carries some high end shit like Junya Watanabe.

Situation Normal is across the street if you wany aNYthing and that sort of jazz.

Hollywood Trading Company (Beverly)

Nice place! Last time I went they stocked Rag & Bone, Rick Owens, Nudie, etc. Havn't been there for months though. REALLY nice guys. Check em out!

A whole truckload of American Apparel stores around LA...check the site

If you want to be all boo-jhee (two B.A.'s and I can't spell the damn word) you can check Rodeo Drive off Wilshire.

Going to Orange County?

If you get a chance to head south towards Orange County you can check Proper in Long Beach if you are looking for trainers (in my opinion, the best spot to catch sneakers) and South Coast Plaza (which has high enders like Gucci, Burberry, John Varvatos and Barney's COOP) and the LAB/Camp down the street in Costa Mesa. The Lab houses Blends (sneakers) Carve (Different from the one in LA...stocks VisVim, APC, and the like), Buffalo Exchange, Urban Outfitters (in my opinion, the worst store in history, but if you like it that's cool) and some other stores that I've never been in, but look kinda cool). The Camp across the street has Active (skateboard shop) and Commissary (stocks Supreme, Bounty Hunter, HUF, invisible:man, BBC).

Whew!

Man I really don't want to review another contract. I know...I'll plot out a route for you instead! :D

Go down Melrose and make a left on La Brea and hit UNDFTD & Friends and American Rag. Continue down La Brea and make a right on 3rd St., pass Fairfax and hit Scout and Built by Wendy (left hand side). U-turn on 3rd and make a left on Fairfax and the Grove/Farmers Market parking lot should be on your right (Barney's COOP, grab some great food at the Farmers Market). Continue down Fairfax the way you were going and hit Supreme (left hand side) and SLB, TheHundreds, Diamond and Flight Club if those shops tickle your fancy. Continue down Fairfax, make a left on Melrose and a left on Croft for A.P.C. (619 Croft). Shit, I forgot to include Hollywood Trading Company! Well, if you can fit it in (highly recommended) it is on Beverly which is perpendicular to La Brea. If you are coming down La Brea from Melrose, make a right on Beverly and if should be on your right hand side (look out! It's a small store). And if you have time to kill you can continue up Beverly to get to the Beverly Center (mall).

Have fun burning up in LA! Don't forget your cool-guy sunglasses.

Kix is down in L.A. and hopefully I can drag him out to a few places. Hope he's a good wing.

did anyone go to EDC "yesterday" night?

i was the only guy selling glowsticks.

i dont think i noticed any sufu people... just etards and crazy white kids.

i was there... you were selling glowsticks at that one place in the main room right?

damn what a night... wish i could go back to above&beyond... amazing performance. fucking pissed me off cause i was peaking when it ended.

I took the Flat Head president and two managers to Spago last night and they loved it.. They were a little confused by the presentation of the sashimi appetizer we ordered, but besides that and the lack of Japanese beers they loved it.

• 1 month later...

melrose (atLEAST after fairfax going east).

take it from the word of a native that has watched the street transform over a number of years. what was once a merchandising mecca is now a common hangout for the wannabe couture, highschool children, and highly warped "street culture".

Basically the entire area is burnt. Rather than having unique and vastly different styles it just caters to those who want to blow their weekly paychecks on things they think will make them feel like celebrities.

Believe it or not, the side of melrose after fairfax used to offer vastly different shops with pretty cheap prices for items you wouldn't find anywhere else...

I guess it got too good for its own good?

Anyone know of any up and coming streets or areas that show promise? I'd say downtown but im not sure..... yet.

Roscoe's Chicken and Waffles is always the correct answer. Google for their website since they have a bunch of locations and pick one closest to you.

But where else in LA can you get a ridiculously overfattening hot dog and pick up a prostitute on the same street corner? You ain't gonna be able to do that on Robertson.