usa :: los angeles :: general

Omnivore

• 1 month later...

I've read through this thread, but some of it is kinda dated especially for bars/clubs. Anyway, I'm taking my girl out to L.A. the weekend after new years and wondering about some recommendations for nightlife/food. We're staying in West Hollywood. I would like to hit a dance party one night, maybe a show or just a chill bar the other. I'm not into lines or places that you have to "get into". Feedback will be much appreciated, this will be my first time in L.A.

Just an update to this thread..

Le Duex is the shit on Monday nights if you're into any kind of rock music.

The Short Stop in Echo Park is somewhere I have never ever had a bad time at.

The Standard can be lame but is free on Thursday and is cool to go to just to see the view.

Lacita usually sucks.. but almost every bar in Downtown is hit or miss on any given night, so check it out if you have a night to kill but not if you are aiming to have fun on that night as you may be disappointed.

Tender Greens in Culver City is an awesome restaurant for very little money. You will be surprised.

Mao's Kitchen in Venice will give you a similar effect.

AOC and Lucques are great restaurants if you are willing to shell out the cash.

Urth Cafe is cool if you want to be seen I guess.

The Arclight is a fun place to go catch a movie, as is the Landmark Theater on Pico and Overland.

Bodega Wine Bar in Pasadena is awesome on a Wednesday night.

anyone with recommendations for decent hotels in hollywood(ish)? i actually want to be on the westside but ms ready needs to be able to take the metro into downtown so i think it's a decent compromise even though i actually hate the hellhole that is hollywood and vine.

i've seen recommendations for villa della stelle and hollywood hills hotel to give you a sense of what i'm talking about, but figure there may be better, lesser known boutique options out there.

thanks for the info. i'm semi-familiar with la since my family moved to the san gabriel valley but not so much with the hotels.

i go to pizzeria mozza about once every year and last july was really disappointing, really lackluster and lacking in imagination. was there some sort of change in the chef or maybe silverton's attentions have been sucked into the osteria?

my latest fave is el atacor 11 - potato tacos by the ten pack for like 8 bucks, enough to prevent a couple hangovers at least

anyway ms ready nixed my idea of making her take the metro so downtown corpohotel it is...

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Hey, I am looking for some museums to visit this weekend, and I was wondering if I could get some opinions on your favorite museums here in LA. I am into a broad spectrum of things, from fashion, history, science, to design. Any input would be much appreciated!

Hey, I am looking for some museums to visit this weekend, and I was wondering if I could get some opinions on your favorite museums here in LA. I am into a broad spectrum of things, from fashion, history, science, to design. Any input would be much appreciated!

MOCA

Getty

Museum of Jurassic Technology

• 4 months later...

I'm heading out to Los Angeles for a week in February with some friends and we're currently compiling a list of places to visit and I thought I'd check with some sufu LA heads to see what's good.

basically, i'd like to find out what some good restaurants are (on the cheap and higher priced), which bars & clubs are worth going to, and if any of the touristy spots are worth visiting. i've done some research into older threads on sufu so i went ahead and got a rental car, now i just need some destinations!

Any particular preferences for anything? Are your friends sufu heads or is going to looking at clothes muy homo? Carne asada burritos and horchata, or chow mein and chinese food?

What kind of music?

the friends i'm going with aren't sufu heads at all. one of them would be interested in stores i'm likely going to visit (OC, barneys, w/e else) but he's mostly focused on going to stores like UNDFTD and Flight Club. the other dude probably won't care, he'll be down with whatever we do.

food wise i know all of us wanna eat some taco track jawns and my friend mentioned wanting to go to nobu (i have a feeling it's highly overrated and i'm going to get made fun of for this). other than that, we're pretty diverse when it comes to eats, so whatever you think is good let me know!

musically my first friend is kinda an underground hip-hop head who can get down with other stuff too, and the second is more of a top 40 kinda guy. i just want to have a good time so i'm down to go wherever isn't too douchey and i don't want to have to wait in line all night to find out we aren't getting in.

There are a lot of good food trucks around LA right now. My personal favorite is the Frysmith, french fries with a myriad of toppings. There's also really good Mexican stands and trucks all over town. Just depends on where you're staying.

In terms of restaurants, I would recommend Animal or Church & State (more expensive/New American), Daikokuya or Honda-Ya (Less expensive/Japanese), Pizzeria Mozza (more exp/italian). Those are some of my favorites in LA, but there are a lot more. Just depends on what you want to eat.

In terms of shopping, Opening Ceremony and Craft are near each other. Confederacy is not really near anything else but is worth the drive. Mister Freedom is always a good stop and is somewhat near Undftd, Union, AmRag. There's also Douglas Fir and South Willard on 3rd st.

When downtown, along with Church & State, I would recommend Lazy Ox and Bottega Louie. Both are pretty good/interesting spots. Honda-Ya is great, as is Haru Ulala, and Orochon Ramen. A good little hole for sushi is Toshi's, which has thankfully escaped the hype machine even though it is one of the best deals in Little Tokyo.

I'm just gonna through out that I'm not a huge fan of Animal.

we're actually staying in Redondo so i'm hoping that we'll get out fairly early each day that we're coming into town. thanks for reminding me, JL, Mister Freedom is DEFINITELY somewhere i want to stop by. also, thanks for the recommendations, Appleseed, Orochon sounds amazing, definitely going to be a hangover cure one of the days. list is pretty solid so far.

Orochon is like the worst idea for a hangover. Daikokuya is better for that lol

Also... did you already book an entire week of hotels for Redondo? Or are you staying over at a friend's place? I'll tell you now... staying over at Redondo Beach is highly, HIGHLY inconvenient. You can hit up Long Beach for some bars though, it's not too far from there.

While you're at Redondo Beach, definitely hit this place up: http://www.yelp.com/biz/quality-seafood-redondo-beach

No visit to LA is complete without some grimey Roscoe's Chicken N Waffles steez. OR, if you're in that area hit up a BYOB Thai restaurant in Thaitown and go to Jumbo's Clown Room afterwards.

Man up and get an Oki dog once you completed the Roscoe's run and shit yourself crazy.

BTW - sup Ted.

Roscoe's, don't believe the hype.

Blu Jam Cafe for brunch

Wurstkuche for german sausages

Daikokuya FTW

Grand Central Market for Mexican surely?

If you go to Opening Ceremony, you might as well walk 10 metres down the street and check out Craft for workwear.

i think daikokuya is crap compared to santoka