usa :: los angeles :: general

Omnivore

Hi all! :)

I`ll be visiting my aunt in Los Angeles (San Bernardiono to be exact) in March 17-27. As I haven`t been in US for 10 years now, I really don`t now any places anymore. :/

I`ll be happy to receive any advice on clubbing, shopping (especially clothes, gadgets and books), places to see, galleries to visit, areas to avoid and so on.

I know that 10 days is not much, but I still would like to make the most out of it; so, if you know a nice place please tell me about it. :)

Should I rent a car or the public transport decently fast enough? Is it safe to go partying alone? And if anybody living in the area would like to spend a night clubbing with a Finnish guy (24yo), I wouldn`t mind. :D

Anyways, thanks for reading this far and please answer. :)

-A-

Roses are #FF0000

violets are #0000FF

all my base

are belong to you.

• 1 month later...

I don't suppose anyone has any advice for apartment hunting in LA? I'm moving there in September with my girl and we've just been looking at craigslist rentals to get an idea...but the city's so damn huge I can only go on my gut that we probably want something Hollywood/Los Feliz/Silverlake but I say that without really knowing those places from the ground.

What will you be doing? Where will you be working mainly? Important information.

Los Feliz / Silverlake is coolest depending on what your scene is. Hollywood is a good middle ground if you find the right nieghborhood.

There's Larchmont / Hancock Park...

All depends though?

I know a lot of people start in one of several apartment buildings on Franklin in Hollywood (right buy the Runyan Park area) just west of La Brea... & then after a year or so there they figure it out. That area isn't amazing (no real vibe) but seems to be a good spot to get west (West Hollywood, Bev Hills, Santa Monica, etc.) north into the valley is right over the hills & east into Los Feliz / Silverlake.

There are some excellent spots just east of La Brea from say Beverly to 3rd or 6th. In that Stussy/Union/UNDFTD/American Rag neck of the woods particularly.

-Dub

• 2 weeks later...

Rent's a bit cheaper in the Valley but you'll have to cross over the 101 or Laurel Canyon to get into LA proper. Like mention before it really depends on what you'll be doing and where you'll be working. I currently live in K-town (Korea Town) where rent used to be cheap but they'll getting on up nowdays. A lot of folks have discovered this part of town and I'm getting architects, photographers and other more design-oriented folks in my building.

For me it's a good middle ground for me. My office in downtown is either 15 minute drive to the east, Miracle Mile 10 minutes to the west, Hollywood 15 minutes up north. Silverlake's 15 minutes NE......

Expect to pay about $1,000 average for a one bedroom unless you're more in the shady parts of town.

If you need more details, feel free hit me back.

Cheers,

E

What's buggin' my ears now :

Telefon Tel Aviv - Map of What is Worthless

Klute - Fear of People

Sidestepper - 3 am : In Beats We Trust

KLF - White Room

• 3 months later...

things to buy and do and drink in the vicinity of the Beverly Hilton in la/beverly hills?

thanks!

kiya

basically i was looking for places to spend my money on things like Rogan, Trovata, Band of Outsiders, etc...

and cool places to drink at after..

:)

-k

• 3 weeks later...

i need advice..

i've lived in sf my entire life and i'm going to LA for a week in september..

what ONE neighborhood should i stay in?

please base your answer on what 'hood has the best shopping and bars...

i'm really into Rogan, Trovata, Nudie, APC, Band of Outsiders, etc..

LA seems so huge i have no idea where to start..

thanks!

-k

Here's the deal. I've lived in LA my whole life. There are many different areas that are cool. Hollywood has a whole sceney scene going on as far as going out at night. The Roosevelt Hotel is the "it" spot right now. You'll probably see cast members of the OC or Paris Hilton for sure. Another new spot is called LAX on Las Palmas and Hollywood. Geisha House is also in this area. On the other side of town, Venice is very dope. Way more chill. The people are much more down to earth. Good shops and places to eat on Abbott Kinney Blvd. An LA trip wouldn't be complete without a visit to Fred Segals: Lunch, shopping and a total who's who. Robertson Blvd also has some great stores. If you want to be a tourist hit the 3rd street promenade or Melrose. After your social hangover take it to Runyon Canyon (fuller north of franklin) for a cool hike and a view of the entire city. Take a drive up the coast and spend the day in Malibu too. You're welcome!

• 2 months later...

well, i'm going to drive down to Los Angeles from the San Francisco area and i'm wondering where are some good, yet affordable places to shop in LA? For example, some stores that sell sneakers/streetwear/etc. Some brands being Stussy/nike/adidas/asics/onitsuka/etc.

Please help! All suggestions will be appreciated!! Thank you. =)

*Nicole.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

everything's spread out as hell in LA, but your safest bet would probably be the trio of Union, Stussy, and Undefeated out on La Brea.

Union carries LA / NY street stuff, as well as some Tokyo (Silas, Neighborhood, etc.)

Stussy, duh.

Undefeated is the legendary kicks shop.

funny to see how many people just hang out around the shops - not to mention the odd "new hot shit" MC or DJ pimping his CDs.

Im heading to L.A. tomorrow and Im also interested in this. Does Union have a website? Are they right of La Brea? Does anyone know where the H&M store is, their website is useless.

Edited by ktothe on Dec 26, 2005 at 10:47 PM

they have a temporary location, dont they?

im looking for a reasonably priced hotel in LA

that is not too far away from like la brea, melrose, fairfax area

how is standard in hollywood?

Quote:

hey KTOTHE.

you're goin` there today, then? i'm driving down on friday. and yeah, i'm interested if they have an H&M there, also. i know one just opened over here in san francisco.

--- Original message by xxQyOoTPnAYxx on Dec 27, 2005 12:34 PM

I went out to Palm Springs instead since nobody seems to know where the H&M store is. Let me know if you find out.

That's because there is no H&M store in LA. The only one in Cali is in San Francisco. They are planning to open a store in a new Shopping Center their building in Anaheim. Completion date unknown. They are also going to open a Mango store at Santa Monica promenade, completion date unknown. That is just word on the street.

If you are going to be in Pasadena, you should just stop by Grey One, small boutique to your taste. greyone.com 2220 E. Colorado Blvd.

http://www.ocstreet.com

Real Orange County Street Fashion and Culture

Quote:

That's because there is no H&M store in LA. The only one in Cali is in San Francisco. They are planning to open a store in a new Shopping Center their building in Anaheim. Completion date unknown. They are also going to open a Mango store at Santa Monica promenade, completion date unknown. That is just word on the street.

If you are going to be in Pasadena, you should just stop by Grey One, small boutique to your taste. greyone.com 2220 E. Colorado Blvd.

--- Original message by ocstreet on Dec 31, 2005 02:33 AM

Well I guess that would explain it then huh? Thanks for the Info...any idea when the store will be complete? Anaheim seems like a fairly odd choice of locations.

• 4 months later...

I'll be going back home for two weeks from June 3rd. Haven't been back to LA in over a year and a half. What are the most exclusive/best/most interesting clubs/lounges/etc/nightlife spots nowadays. Also, hook-ups are welcome. I'll certainly repay the favor if you're ever in Tokyo. Thanks.

Edited by djrajio on May 23, 2006 at 06:59 AM