usa :: los angeles :: general

Omnivore

LACMA on Wilshire and Fairfax is free after 5PM and has a Dali exhibit up

i was wondering what shops, stores are a definite to visit over that weekend and also is there anything going on as far as events, parties, etc?

i know of the diamond store on fairfax, and the crooks store opening on melrose as well but im looking for a dope little boutique or something along the lines of it.

thanx to all who reply!

bumping this old thread...

I'm heading to LA pretty soon, having never been there, I'm curious to get some ideas for places to see. I'm pretty sure I got stores and food sorted out, so I'm mainly looking for where to drive, where to walk, where to hang out in the day, compulsory sights etc.

some were already mentioned by england earlier and some I know:

- Venice (around Abbot Kinney blvd? other streets/areas?)

- Santa Monica (main street? beach/promenade/pier?)

- Sawtelle

- Melrose

- La Brea? (or around scout, south willard, farmers market etc)

any other ideas? I havent been in the city and since I have quite a few days, I wanna check out different neighborhoods, areas, streets and whatever interesting comes to mind. cool hillside roads, interesting residential areas, sights, beaches, parks and others are welcome.

bumping this old thread...

I'm heading to LA pretty soon, having never been there, I'm curious to get some ideas for places to see. I'm pretty sure I got stores and food sorted out, so I'm mainly looking for where to drive, where to walk, where to hang out in the day, compulsory sights etc.

some were already mentioned by england earlier and some I know:

- Venice (around Abbot Kinney blvd? other streets/areas?)

- Santa Monica (main street? beach/promenade/pier?)

- Sawtelle

- Melrose

- La Brea? (or around scout, south willard, farmers market etc)

any other ideas? I havent been in the city and since I have quite a few days, I wanna check out different neighborhoods, areas, streets and whatever interesting comes to mind. cool hillside roads, interesting residential areas, sights, beaches, parks and others are welcome.

I may be repeating several points here, but here's some more info. nonetheless:

You can't really walk to the stores on La Brea (American Rag, Union, Stussy, etc.) as they are at least 1.5 miles east of Farmer's Market and Scout, etc. (these are all around Fairfax & Third). If you go a mile or so north on Fairfax of the Market (around Melrose) you will hit Supreme, Flight Club, blah blah.

Anyways, Farmer's Market and the area around Farmer's Market is one of the funner places in LA for food and browsing. In the market, eat at Pampas Grill (an awesome, cheap Brazilian place). La Lotteria has great, cheap tacos and Singapore's Banana Leaf is a cool little Malay/Singaporean spot. The Grove (attached to the Market) is a nice-looking but mediocre outdoor mall with Banana Republic, etc. but it does have a decent Barney's Co-Op and movie theatre and a pretty garden/fountain.

If you go about two miles west of the Market on Beverly (above Third) you will hit Maxfield (Rick Owens, CCP, etc.) at Melrose, and a block or so away is Maxfield Bleu (discount previous season stuff). You will also be right next to the enormous Beverly Center (you can't miss it). Not really any notable stores in here.....though Traffic does have Helmut Lang, Paul Smith, Vivienne Westwood and such, it is horribly overpriced. Do check out OPENING CEREMONY though, which is about 5 blocks up from Beverly Center on La Cienega. Afterwards, get a macaroon at the Boule bakery across the street. For a very cool dinner around this area, go to Dan Tana's (you won't be disappointed - I actually brought your admirer Djrajio here a few weeks ago, ha hah), and if you're with a female and want something romantic, you can't beat The Little Door:

http://www.dantanasrestaurant.com/

http://www.thelittledoor.com/

For breakfast around this area, eat at Breadbar:

http://www.breadbar.net/

In Venice, you can do Abbott Kinney / Main St. as well as the Santa Monica Promenade (only about 1 mile away) in a day. The Promenade is super touristy, but it does have Fred Segal (that's about it) and a fun British Pub (The King's Head). Food in this area is mediocre; don't waste your time.

For some more shopping, you have the area of Beverly Hills around Rodeo (Dior Homme, Martin Margiela a mile or so away).

Regardless of what anyone tells you, stay away from the following shit-hole, celeb-gawker spots and or overrated tourist traps:

- The Ivy

- Urth Cafe

- The Standard

- Pink's Hot Dogs

- Tito's Tacos

There are countless interesting areas in LA, but unless you are going to specific places to meet friends or check out a certain restaurant, etc. they are hard to justify as worth visiting for someone new to the city (places like Sunset Junction, Westwood, Korea town, etc.)

As cheesy as it is, and as long as I've lived here, I have never gotten tired of simply driving/walking/jogging around Benedict Canyon/Holmby Hills/Beverly Hills (above Santa Monica Blvd.) and looking at the phenomenal houses.

Great list england.

I would just add:

Amoeba Records (Sunset and Ivar).

The Silent Movie Theater -- they have recently started showing a lot of great hard to see films http://silentmovietheatre.com

In-N-Out Burgers (esp. if you've never been to LA)

Drive up Pacific Coast Highway

In my opinion, Peet's is the best chain to get decent coffee in LA, esp. for straight espresso.

Maybe go downtown during the day. So much there. Old theater district on Broadway; Chinatown, Little Tokyo, Garment District. Downtown is really quite overwhelming and bizzare.

Check Flavorpill for weekly culture http://flavorpill.com/losangeles

Great list england.

I would just add:

Amoeba Records (Sunset and Ivar).

The Silent Movie Theater -- they have recently started showing a lot of great hard to see films http://silentmovietheatre.com

In-N-Out Burgers (esp. if you've never been to LA)

Drive up Pacific Coast Highway

In my opinion, Peet's is the best chain to get decent coffee in LA, esp. for straight espresso.

Maybe go downtown during the day. So much there. Old theater district on Broadway; Chinatown, Little Tokyo, Garment District. Downtown is really quite overwhelming and bizzare.

Check Flavorpill for weekly culture http://flavorpill.com/losangeles

good stuff, thanks.

yea I was thinking of driving downtown, theres a japanese area next to chinatown as well, right?

• 2 weeks later...
repped.

If any of you guys want Chinese food, just ask me. I live in the heart of the Chinese/Taiwanese area.

where u from man? im from cerritos and there's ALOT of chinese/taiwanese around here.

repped.

If any of you guys want Chinese food, just ask me. I live in the heart of the Chinese/Taiwanese area.

where u from man? im from cerritos and there's ALOT of chinese/taiwanese around here.

whateva: i live near arcadia.

apu, you're in LA? where are you staying?

as for the rest of the visitors, please feel free to PM me if you are interested in setting up a meetup. i can try to gather a grip of people. or not.

no problem apu.

ride the train to Union Station (the central public transport hub in LA), then take buses. if you're lucky and we setup a meetup, we might be able to get cars to pick you up after you get to union station.

i don't know how far you are from (north) pomona station, but it shouldnt be more than 10 minutes away from wherever in pomona that you are staying in. get someone to drop you off to the station.

www.metrolinktrains.com you need to take the san bernardino line.

don't knock it. it's not bad at all.