usa :: los angeles :: general

Omnivore

England did a good job of covering the main highlights to your LA trip.

Perhaps some additional fun can be had at the clubs/bars in Hollywood at night and be sure to check out stores along LaBrea, Melrose, Beverly Blvd. and Fairfax.

I guess I'll need to reiterate the Korean BBQ thing:

http://www.chosungalbee.com/

Other interesting sites that cover the LA scene:

http://mrkimsays.com/

http://thehundreds.com/

• 2 weeks later...

I know you're probably not in L.A. anymore. But for anyone still looking for places I suggest trying the site yelp.com

it's got a gang of reviews for restaurants in San Fran and L.A. and comes with google-maps ^_^

• 2 months later...

Was wondering where some cool spots around sunset, downtown LA, or Santa Monica could be found? I know that's a little broad. Just wondering if they're are any particularly delicious and afordable restaurants? ($20 and under) Any cool areas to walk around, Or any can't miss used clothing butiques or thriftstores? I'd imagine it would be a little easier to find used designer clothes around some of those areas. Also any record stores aside from Amoeba?

Your thoughts...

• 2 weeks later...

search didn't seem to work..

I'm looking for a hotel for my folks who are heading to LA later in the year. I was looking into the luxury spots in mainly beverly hills and santa monica, any suggestions? many of the classic hotels seem a bit washed out, is this the case with many places?

so far Loews in Santa Monica seems like a decent option

any ideas are welcome

Mike,

The Loews had a decent brunch from what I can recall. But in my opinion, Santa Monica and the westside in general is a bit boring and all activities near the beach can be done in a day - the Santa Monica pier, 3rd Street Promenade, Venice beach, etc.

Some hotels in the Beverly Hills area off the top of my head...

1. Beverly Hills Hotel - located on Sunset Blvd. past the strip heading westbound. Sunset Blvd. gives the parents to check out amazing houses located on the Hill and goes westbound all the way to the beach. Classy.

2. Beverly Hills Plaza Hotel - located on Wilshire Blvd. right on Rodeo Drive. Walk out the front door and there you have Rodeo Drive in its full glory. The hotel is old but quite famous.

3. Four Seasons - located in Beverly Hills but closer to La Cienega/Robertson Drive. There are some decent restaurants on La Cienega including the Beverly Center (mall). Robertson Drive also has some really good spots for food too!

4. Peninsula Hotel - located on Wilshire and little Santa Monica Blvd. Location is whatever but its a nice hotel. You have the option of checking out Century City (outdoor mall) or drive 5 minutes east to Rodeo Drive.

I'll come back to this thread a bit later as I'm shooting blanks right now...

• 4 weeks later...

what are some choice affordable places to stay in Los Angeles? I know that's a vague and broad area to refer to but I'm curious to know if there's a typical franchise of motels, hotels or hostels that are RELATIVLY cheap to the area.

thanks alot for any kind of advice

yea yea,i know...this thread is probally posted on a daily...ive been in china working for the past two years, and im heading back stateside and flying into LA and gonna see some friends. where do i need to go now to have a good time? ...somewhere thats just loads of fun, could be chill...im not helping much i know. haha

i trust you guys.

Check out any of the bars on Hollywood Blvd. but entry might be selective depending upon venue. If its your first time in LA, Sunset can always be an option (although quite cheesy). If your into the music scene, you can always check Melrose Ave for fliers.

monday skanight@akbar sunset/fountain

tuesday dub@bar 107 4th/main st

wednesday shotgun@the eagle santa monica/hyperion

thursday bait@ MJs rowena/hyperion

or la cita downtown

Century Blvd is so dead nowadays. I lived in Inglewood last winter and there was only one gang related shooting, so lame.

Serious answer, go for some tapas at the minibar lounge before a show at the troubadour or something. I also have caught a bad habit of acting extra gay at Mark's so they don't card.

• 2 weeks later...