usa :: los angeles :: general

Omnivore

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

good posts so far on where to eat!

Wurstkuche, avoid going on friday-sat after 5PM, very long line. may be less lline at the venice location.

Pie hole & Black top coffee are across street from Wurstkuche, if you want dessert/coffee in that area.

Guisados on sunset blvd in east LA, excellent tacos.11117165_440842466084223_1214531619_n.jp

Parks BBQ in ktown - pricey, but good, around $25-30/person. (anywhere cheaper to get good kbbq?)

Outside LA - North -

Stout burger in studio city - great place for lunch, burger, garlic fries & good beer.

San Gabriel Valley  -

The Boiling Crab (3 locations) - best cajun seafood for $10-12/person. I waited an hour+ last time I went to the rowland heights location, and it was worth it.

tea - AU79 tea house, half&half, id cha on valley.

Donutman - glendora

I'll be trying out bay cities and maybe sprinkles in LA this weekend, will report back.

Edited by Tiger_style

They have a "potted plant tea" that's really tasty. Made with Oreo crumbs on top.

pictures look interesting.

wound up in west LA area this weekend so I went ahead and tried bay cities in samo, very good. great ingredients, & cheap.  I ordered straight from the kitchen too, I couldn't even finish the sandwich.

11085166_1059596267388453_421453576_n.jp

10004152_870033886391444_708973805_n.jpg

Honestly if you want  a pretty comprehensive review of what's worth eating in LA just look at "Kevineats" blog. There's a map feature and best thing i've ever ate section. 

Normally when I'm in LA I hit up:
Wexler's
Black Hogg (and their sandwich spot) 

Bestia
Gjelina 

Gjusta
Sqirl

Republic

My favorite is Wolvesmouth but I'm not sure wether or not to count that since it's a reoccuring pop up. Still one of my favs

I feel like some nights animal is really on top of it, but ive been a few times where they totally drop the ball and dishes I normally get taste completely off. Definitely a place to check out at least once or to bring people that are into "weird" offerings. 

Also throwing it out there that Son of a gun's fried chicken sandwich fucking rocks, and Night + Market's fried chicken sandwich does too. 

Night + Market good place to get drunk and eat salty thai food. 

kinjiro is prob my favorite jp restaurant in little tokyo right now. worth the $$$. other than kagaya, marugame monzo and q sushi, everything else in dtla/lil tyo is pretty sub-par. go to torrance if you want real jp food. there are also really good jp restaurants in bev hills/west la (some michelin star rated sushi places) and fountain valley/costa mesa areas.

other noteworthy places not yet mentioned:

italian:

chi spacca

angelini osteria

bestia

burgers/sandwiches:

pie n' burger

bill's hamburgers

pier burger (even though it's kind of a tourist trap but they crust their burgers pretty well. i'm not into gourmet burgers. fuck father's office.)

little jewel of new orleans (shrimp po' boy)

langer's (i'm sure this has been mentioned)

figueroa philly cheesesteaks

chinese:

din tai fung

newport seafood

huolala

mien nghia noodle express (chinese/viet place with really good hainan chicken rice. homemade sauce is crack.)

dessert:

salt n' straw ice cream

carmella's ice cream

patisserie chantilly

montmarte

bonjour

st patisserie chocolat

yakiniku:

tsuruhashi

anjin

tacos/mexican:

el huarachito 

best fish tacos in ensenada

taco zone truck

southern/soul food:

my two cents

carolyn's kitchen

serving spoon

mostly everything in compton/inglewood

french:

le comptoir

l'assiette

trois mec

I cosign Gjelina and Bestia. Bestia is kinda tricky to get into if you don't have a reservation though. Try to go really early or really late if you don't. 

Wurstkuche is rad if you're into beer and they have one cider option.

Little Jewel was disappointing, but I probably order all the wrongs things. Whatever you DO NOT get the crawfish mac and cheese unless you want warm crawfish pasta salad. Don't bother with the muffaletta.

When it comes to mexican food, I'm lazy and go to a neighborhood joint called La Reyna in the Arts District and its decent for what it is. 

Was it Guerrilla Tacos that had that fucking $20 quesadilla with ingredients that don't belong in anything remotely like a quesadilla?

Am I the only one that doesn't like Chego?

:sleep:

Edited by neptunecitylocal

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Anything in particular to do while in Palm Springs? I've never been.

I may book a weekend stay at Riveria/Ace this summer, any cool places to see beside the hotel pool? :mellow:

Edited by Tiger_style

• 2 weeks later...

Any recs for tailors? It's kind of one of those things where there's so many it's hard to choose one. I'm in Silverlake, so I'd prefer someone not too far away.

Anything in particular to do while in Palm Springs? I've never been.

I may book a weekend stay at Riveria/Ace this summer, any cool places to see beside the hotel pool? :mellow:

If you go while it's hot you probably won't wanna be too far from the pool for long. Ha.

thanks.

Any recs for tailors? It's kind of one of those things where there's so many it's hard to choose one. I'm in Silverlake, so I'd prefer someone not too far away.

If you go while it's hot you probably won't wanna be too far from the pool for long. Ha.

might depend on what you're having done.

I had a suit tailored at Franks Shoe Repair & Tailoring in Pasadena on lake ave, really liked the outcome. 

I actually had a professor who is a lawyer, & I pressed him on where he was getting his suits tailored since they looked excellent

If it's just a basic pant hem any dry cleaner should be fine.

Edited by Tiger_style

• 1 month later...

Wurstkuche is where I take my friends that are new to eating awesome food. Intro to LA, if you will.

Good to see they're getting some love!

If you go you must get the fries with truffle oil.

Found a spot recently called Juice Served Here right up the street from the Venice Wurstkuche that has cool juices like green milk and charcoal lemonade. If you're in the area try their sampler.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...