usa :: los angeles :: general

Omnivore

the only good boba spots are in sgv

need the good egg pudding in your drink

not talking about half & half tho.. meow meow and black & white are good

meow meow is way too decadent but very good

haven't been to black & white yet

the rose milk green tea at factory tea bar would be amazing if they cut some of the sugar.  i might ask for reduced sugar next time

yeah unless u wanna be pre-diabetic soon u gotta ask em to cut that syrup to half or even a quarter..

at black & white i always got this oreo drink, probably the worst thing u could do to urself but its good if u like that kinda thing

other LA news bits, corner showcase tomorrow night (anthony parasole, shawn o'sullivan, beau wanzer, and raiz) and levon vincent next weekend

Edited by domdomdomdom

• 2 weeks later...

I'll be in town fri-monday. down for any meets and open to any refs. Please help!

*especially lunch spots

Which Friday, starting today?  I'm here now!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Where in Beverly Hills are you moving? I'd say check out downtown around the new Ace Hotel, Melrose, W. 3rd, and get going to all the touristy places out of the way. I figure though that anything you miss in the few days you are visiting can be seen again when you come back permanently. 

Reeves Dr down near Olympic. It's like half a mile south of Rodeo Dr.

Ace Hotel sounds awesome. I work in hotels so I definitely wanted to check out some of the big ones in the area since I don't have a job yet (gotta live off my sugar mama for a bit since she got the job that we're moving for). Are talking about a downtown area of Beverly Hills or just downtown LA? Like I said, never been before so super ignorant.

On the subject of DTLA, anyone live in the central downtown area? In a similar boat as brooks, moving down to LA in the near future for my girl's job. Her job is smack in the middle of downtown (near The Standard), and just wondering what living in that area is like. We've seen what looks like some pretty cool lofts for way cheaper then the east coast but not sure if it's too good to be true or what

On the subject of DTLA, anyone live in the central downtown area? In a similar boat as brooks, moving down to LA in the near future for my girl's job. Her job is smack in the middle of downtown (near The Standard), and just wondering what living in that area is like. We've seen what looks like some pretty cool lofts for way cheaper then the east coast but not sure if it's too good to be true or what

I don't live downtown, but I'm incredibly familiar with it. Basically every loft downtown has been built in the past ten years, and almost all of them are pretty good quality. I'd stay away from anything that sounds like a TMNT (Orcini, Michelangelo) or starts with SB (which stands for Shy Barry, a developer notorious for cheaping out on his projects).  Beyond downtown, Silverlake and Echo Park are also cheaper, cool, and close options, though you'd probably need a car. Koreatown is a little grungier, but is probably even cheaper, has some of the best food in the city, and you wouldn't need a car. If you have any more specific questions, feel free to PM me. 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Posted over in the SF thread, but also wanted to ask here as well.

My friend and I are flying into LA at the end of August.  We're staying there for a couple days, then driving up to SF for a few days and then back to LA.

I haven't been to LA in years, so I don't really know what all there is out there.

We just want to make the most of a short trip and get out of Austin for awhile, so we're open to all suggestions.

We're both into beer, coffee, food and denim if that helps at all. Suggestions would be much appreciated!

So I think the way we have it set up now we're really only gonna have a day or two in LA.

What would you say your top spots are?  Food / drink wise.

Definitely going to Self Edge too.

Are we only talking about downtown here? If so, I'd say check out Wurstkuche, Wexler's Deli at the Grand Central Market, Guerrilla Taco, and if you wanna spend a little more, Alma, Bestia, Fifty Seven, or Faith and Flower.  

• 4 weeks later...

Daikokuya is probably my least favored ramen place. I don't get the hype and line-ups for the Little Tokyo location.

Shin-Sen-Gumi is definitely much better if you're trying to eat downtown. Marugame Monzo is also good if you want to do udon - made by hand in front of u.

Same with ramen row in west LA. I'd do Tsujita > Tatsu > Daikokuya.