usa :: los angeles :: general

Omnivore

$1300/mo (living on your own) is gonna take some work (or a bit of good fortune) to find anything decent in the locs. mentioned. If I were you and cared about living in near the beach, I'd try Marina Del Rey or Mar Vista.

Culver City might be worth looking at, IMO.

Silver Lake is two words.

I always advocate to live near where you work, rather than picking some transplant ideal of what 'the best' neighborhood is. If you want some real advice, fill in more of the blanks; job, interests, language (4), transportation, etc....

-

and Watt's has plenty of well-kept, safe, suburban tracts, FYI. We don't really live in the crack 80's anymore....

Edited by Appleseed

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey guys been about a year since my last time through town....Is Sushi-Gen still about as good as it gets in town or is there someplace you really recommend for top notch sushi? Thanks for the input

Probably not exactly the answer you're looking for, but I was there recently and it was pretty good. But the night I went they were out of all mackerels :(

• 3 weeks later...

@Iceman87, I'd suggest staying at the Claremont in Westwood next to UCLA. It's super cheap and central... Otherwise, I'd suggest checking out Airbnb.. They've got some great deals. Or if you have an iPhone, get the HotelTonight app, it gives you a breakdown of all the hotels in the city for that night that are relatively a good deal.

Edited by Fizzm

@Iceman87, I'd suggest staying at the Claremont in Westwood next to UCLA. It's super cheap and central... Otherwise, I'd suggest checking out Airbnb.. They've got some great deals. Or if you have an iPhone, get the HotelTonight app, it gives you a breakdown of all the hotels in the city for that night that are relatively a good deal.

Thanks mate will definitely check out Airbnb and hotelstonight. The reviews on tripadvisor for claremont was quite bad so I think I'll try to find something else.

Am I the only one who has become addicted to dining at Ink?

can't get enough of that shit.

what's good now there ?

the only time i've eaten there was back when they had the foie gras waffle dish (pre-ban)

everything else was just OK tho

mostly been on a chinese food kick now tho,

don't make a point to go upscale unless it's really good

• 2 months later...
Guest Pauhpatatrupt

wu ling didn't permit him to associated with yang canvas shoes for men on the web truly admire destination to say need to learn somewhat to be able to toddler toms, allow him to yang small shocked toms shoes appear Boasting a lot more eroticism in the advertising campaign of computer ever shows on screen, Stanley Kubrick's 13th and last film is really sad, as opposed to bad. It feels creaky, ancient, hopelessly away from touch, infatuated with all the hot taboos of his youth and not able to connect with that twisty thing contemporary sexuality is becoming. (Kubrick had mentioned which makes it right into a movie since 1971.) One can understand why the piece attracted: It followed being a Jewish doctor and the wife, their marriage gone stale, were revivified with a dangerous turn of events in which a nasty sexual adventure of his turned into a dream of hers. That represented a magic, sexual unity, and back they went along to it, like a coupla bunnies inside a hutch. One presumes it had a sort of erotic tide with it, a flow of desire, a replication from the sensation of the semiconscious near-dream state in which the darkest reptiles of one's darkest, freest sexuality are allowed to wander, only if for some seconds.

Addressing common rumours in which avenue gangs may be planning attacks on police officers through New Jersey within retaliation with regard to Crockam's arrest, he was quoted saying, "We function as well as safeguard the actual inhabitants of New Jacket and there isn't any method that we'll down again from in which dedication. It was not right away apparent regardless of whether Matlosz knew of the arrest warrant or even whether or not which was why this individual contacted Crockam and began talking to him or her Friday mid-day.

wi inexpensive toddler toms, and also hardwearing . iraqi work usually are hand crafted clicked provide coalition klash athletic shoe

what's good now there ?

the only time i've eaten there was back when they had the foie gras waffle dish (pre-ban)

everything else was just OK tho

mostly been on a chinese food kick now tho,

don't make a point to go upscale unless it's really good

duck rillette, pork belly, octopus, beef cheeks. place is great, but hard on the wallet.

dudes like to front on the valley cuz its been done since like forever. but its not that bad. granted, you cant get $500 nikes and bespoke tanktops, but foodwise i think its just as varied as LA proper. the best portuguese bakery in LA [natas] is on ventura blvd with legit malasadas, especially since theyre made to order. the thai restaurants along sherman way are better [imo] than hollywood. of course, there's much hotter ass on the blvd. but foodwise, i gotta go with van nuys. and valley taco trucks destroy LA. first off, i dont think theres a joint in the NE valley that doesnt have hand made tortillas. i know it seems petty but it makes a huge difference. they also do al vapor which is pretty hard to come by in town. you can play it safe and stay along the hills and canyonlands. there is definitely ass along ventura blvd, its like the "not-yet-famous" set and tv douchebags which is just fine to gawk at. but im partial to the dirtier NE valley. its like the place in movies where mobsters dump bodies and torture snitches in salvage yards. hit up pacoima, sunland/sun valley if thats your bag. its definitely an integral part of the socal lifestyle.

dudes like to front on the valley cuz its been done since like forever. but its not that bad. granted, you cant get $500 nikes and bespoke tanktops, but foodwise i think its just as varied as LA proper. the best portuguese bakery in LA [natas] is on ventura blvd with legit malasadas, especially since theyre made to order. the thai restaurants along sherman way are better [imo] than hollywood. of course, there's much hotter ass on the blvd. but foodwise, i gotta go with van nuys. and valley taco trucks destroy LA. first off, i dont think theres a joint in the NE valley that doesnt have hand made tortillas. i know it seems petty but it makes a huge difference. they also do al vapor which is pretty hard to come by in town. you can play it safe and stay along the hills and canyonlands. there is definitely ass along ventura blvd, its like the "not-yet-famous" set and tv douchebags which is just fine to gawk at. but im partial to the dirtier NE valley. its like the place in movies where mobsters dump bodies and torture snitches in salvage yards. hit up pacoima, sunland/sun valley if thats your bag. its definitely an integral part of the socal lifestyle.

i'll admit i was being dismissive in my post. good point on mentioning van nuys and ventura blvd. for some reason i never consider van nuys, noho, etc as being in the valley even though it technically is. i mainly associate "the valley" with northridge, granada hills, chatsworth, porter ranch, etc. your guess is as good as mine.

i'm interested in the valley taco trucks > la taco trucks sentiment though. first time i've actually heard that.

nightlife is definitely better in proper la although the valley does grow good bud as inferred in my previous post.

i'm interested in the valley taco trucks > la taco trucks sentiment though. first time i've actually heard that.

simply put, its the handmade tortillas. they actually take the extra 30 seconds to pinch off a knob of dough and mash it in the press. there are trucks in LA that do it, but its the exception, not the norm that it seems to be in the NE valley. its comparable to the difference between a decent sandwich, and a decent sandwich with excellent bread.

al vapor style tacos are a special treat. theyre steamed whole like tamales so the tortillas turn reddish and soak up all that meat grease and are super tender like dumplings. they just remind me of the low end street food in mexico city that dudes sell out of giant baskets [tacos de canasta] for like 20 cents each.

my favorite lebanese joint, carnival, is in the valley. its much lower key than spots like carousel. no belly dancers and shit, just og lebanese dudes, generic decor and extra extra fresh produce. their desserts are the business too.

a lot of the prop houses dump off their goods at various spots throughout the northeast, but i hate giving away those spots. if you find them, theyre goldmines. i got a brass fire hydrant and an old la weekly newspaper vending thingie on the cheap out there not to mention countless records. a million times better than thrift stores cuz they have giant fixtures not just pitily bric-a-brac.

one [not so]secret spot of mine i will give away is the san fernando swap meet. trust me, its no secret if youre latino. theres a vendor there that claims he drives in from mexico every week with imported oaxacan cheeses, herbs, dry goods and its the only place in LA ive ever found those giant puffed tostada things. i dont know what theyre called but they are legit. they sell them by the garbage bag load for like $20 worth every penny.

thanks for the well thought out post. i'm always going up to the valley to visit my friends, but it seems like you've shown me more gems through a internet post haha.

the prop house dump is intriguing as fuck. i'll definitely be looking into that.

there are trucks in LA that do it, but its the exception, not the norm

this is, sadly, all too true. i've only seen a handful of trucks/stands do that in la.

• 5 weeks later...

Hey guys been about a year since my last time through town....Is Sushi-Gen still about as good as it gets in town or is there someplace you really recommend for top notch sushi? Thanks for the input

Sushi is sort of my forte, so...

Urasawa is god tier. Be prepared to spend $350+

N/Naka

Mori

Sushi Zo

Sushi Park are all considered to be the next best thing. About $120-$175 

Kiriko

Hikko

Sasabune are considered to be all pretty good. I personally love Kiriko. About $70-120. 

Sushi Gen

Hide are the 'bang for your buck'. Pretty good, and surprisingly cheap. I once spent $60 at Hide, and I really had to try. Ordered like five servings of toro. $40-$60. 

Have fun! I can personally vouch for all of these places, and no matter where on this list you go, you will have a good meal. There are a couple places in the hood that have just opened up that I haven't been to, like a 'secret' sushi bar in the back of the Sugar Fish in Beverly Hills, which apparently is amazing. 

• 3 months later...

Me and my Girlfriend are moving from London to LA for 8 weeks ( She is doing a course ), I am going to take an extended holiday and if I have any luck with my visa do a little bit of work. 

We are going to be doing a road trip up north for the first week we were planning to do :

Screenshot2013-08-26at173459_zps22753ebc

Is there anything I would be a fool if we missed or didnt get to do? 

I am booking into the Madonna inn for a night and have heard its a pretty special place, going to be spending the road trip filming a little 16mm film, so if there are any views or quirky spots I would never have known about, basically any information is appreciated. 

Also if anyone wants to go skate or take photos in LA ill be about from the 16th Sept I will be in the Silver Lake area

Thanks in advanced 

i've always wanted to go to the winchester mystery house in san jose

that place looks sick, but then again, i have shitty tourist tendencies

i would definitely make a detour to see hearst castle and big sur 

and obviously eat lots of chinese food between the LA and SF areas

for cheeseball tourist inspiration, i recommend you watch california's gold with huell howser 

(classic)