usa :: los angeles :: general

Omnivore

If you're staying in Redondo, driving to downtown just to eat Orochon is stupid. Its a regular ramen place.

I like Animal, plus its a dope place to go after shopping if you're into streetwear shit: Supreme/Flight Club/HUF are literally 30 feet away and within 2 miles you have Opening Ceremony, Union, American Rag, Mister Freedom, etc. After dinner, go to a divey Mexican bar like El Compadre or go to the Village Idiot or The Surly Goat (just opening and has a great beer selection)

http://www.surlygoat.com/onTap.php

No visit to LA is complete without some grimey Roscoe's Chicken N Waffles steez. OR, if you're in that area hit up a BYOB Thai restaurant in Thaitown and go to Jumbo's Clown Room afterwards.

we won't be driving in specifically for Orochon but if it's cheap and we're downtown it'll be a good way to allocate more money to potential buys/booze.

would you guys recommend any spots to checkout that are touristy? i'm sure that my buddies will want to checkout some famous spots but i'd rather avoid overly lame ones.

we won't be driving in specifically for Orochon but if it's cheap and we're downtown it'll be a good way to allocate more money to potential buys/booze.

would you guys recommend any spots to checkout that are touristy? i'm sure that my buddies will want to checkout some famous spots but i'd rather avoid overly lame ones.

it;s not "cheap". it's not expensive either.

Do

Griffith Observatory on a clear night. Check some astrological blogs/sites and see if any planets are in view. On the night I went, by coincidence Saturn and Mars were really close and almost aligned. Amateur stargazers showed up with expensive telescopes and it was nice. You can also see all of LA. It's a nice scenic point.

Six Flags Magic Mountain is currently opened on weekends:

http://www.sixflags.com/magicMountain/info/parkInfo.aspx

It's the best thrill rides amusement park in Western North America. If you guys like roller coasters, you will not be disappointed.

Universal Studios Hollywood:

This is one of my favorite amusement parks. If it's your first time there, you'll definitely like this place. There aren't any major rides, but the live stunt shows make this place highly entertaining.

Any beach on a sunny weekend:

As long as it's not too cold, bitches will be out. Just don't swim in the ocean unless you're in Malibu or the OC.

Farmer's Market / The Grove on a weekend:

Good for people watching, and occasional celebrity sighting.

Getty Museum:

It's free, just pay for parking. This place is nice to check out.

Avoid

Hollywood Blvd / Hollywood Walk of Fame during the day:

This place seems like an obligatory visit for the typical tourist, but I honestly think it's a waste of your time. You'll find lots of European, Chinese, and Japanese tourists, as well as people donning Darth Vader and Spiderman costumes, collecting dolla bills for you to take your picture with them. You will NOT see any celebrities here, if that is at all a goal.

There are a lot of clubs on Hollywood Blvd at night though, so it may be worth a visit. Most of these clubs are hip hop and top 40.

Maybe

Santa Monica Pier. This place depends on your tastes. I don't think 3 25 year-old guys will really get a blast from coming here. This is more of a family or date spot. I recently went on the ferris wheel during a fresh and sunny day, and I thought it was nice. It's wild touristy though, and unnecessary.

You guys are only here for a week? You can do everything on my list, and all the shopping you want in 4 days. Consider spending 2 nights in Vegas if you've never been there before. Just bring money, you won't regret it.

It might be a bit tricky to budget your time if you only hit 1 weekend.

It's not worth your time to go to some touristy places if there are no people there, you know? Like I would never tell you to go to Vegas between Monday-Thursday. Likewise you can't go to Six Flags until the weekends. At the same time, if some place is too packed, it completely pisses me off. Clubbing is hit or miss depending on the night and the club. Wednesdays are usually ladies night, so you might be able to find something.

Another thing,

you guys honestly have no reason to go to Downtown LA other than to go to Little Tokyo to eat some ramen. Eat, walk through the little plaza across the street from Daikokuya, and leave.

Oh wait. I forgot about Grand Central Market for Mexican food. Yeah, those two things- that's it.

is azn8oi taking the mickey? if i grew up in the sgv, those might all sound like fun things to do to kill the time on a weekend without getting bombed. maybe. i grant you griffith is a nice place for a short hike when you get sick of driving everywhere.

downtown la has the moca and disney concert hall. if you're in japantown anyway, i guess you can check out rif - also a sneaker consignment place.

also the new lacma extension is awesome if you're into that kind of thing.

There are a lot of clubs on Hollywood Blvd at night though, so it may be worth a visit. Most of these clubs are hip hop and top 40.

i went to the highlands for my first time last thursday since some of my boys started promoting for that club (hip hop)..it was the grand opening for a new club called "epic"

they reached capacity of 3000 heads within an hour of their 9:30 opening

KAG galore if thats what youre into

pm me for moar details

Guest wockawockawocka

First post....here's my advice.

DO go to hollywood blvd. Why? It's Hollywood Blvd. Duh. Yeah there are a lot of tourists and shops with Hollywood tees but it'll give you a good idea of the blvd. When do you go? At night. Go have a bite at Skooby's Hotdogs. After that, slide over into Boardner's (the bar, not the bookstore Borders') for a drink. It's a small/hidden place but you'll meet some cool locals there. Then head on down to the trendy clubs all within walking distance where you can find some young hipster girls to prey upon. Beauty Bar, Tokio, over in that area you will find a few more little clubs and bars. They're all lame but it's a fun time.

You can also walk on down to Amoeba Music. Huge music store, gotta go.

I disagree about going downtown. I personally think Little Tokyo sucks, it's super small and the japanese is actually awful. I ate at some joint there once and both me and my girl left the food was so bad. Ended up almost dying. No joke. Instead go over to R23 for some bomb sushi and bomb atmosphere. Also trendy but worth it for the out-of-towner is going to the rooftop bar at The Standard in downtown. Find you a hot chick that is staying at the hotel, buy her some drinks and stay there for the night - plus the people who work at the restaurant poor some seriously strong drinks. Great brunch as well.

As far as shopping - just head over to Melrose or Robison. Or both.

The beaches are overrated and filthy.

The best thing to do is to grab in LA Weekly and find a good concert to go see. El Rey, Henry Fonda, Knitting Factory, Roxy, HOB, a lot of smaller clubs - you're sure to find something you'll like.

Want a good burger? Molly's burgers in Hollywood.

LA does kind of suck but if you're coming from out of town you got to enjoy yourself.

if you're going to hit up Melrose at all, check out Maxfield (it's down Melrose at Robertson)

worth checking out, besides the clothes, it's basically a mini-museum of curios, skull collection, taxidermy, etc etc

• 2 weeks later...
First post....here's my advice.

DO go to hollywood blvd. Why? It's Hollywood Blvd. Duh. Yeah there are a lot of tourists and shops with Hollywood tees but it'll give you a good idea of the blvd. When do you go? At night. Go have a bite at Skooby's Hotdogs. After that, slide over into Boardner's (the bar, not the bookstore Borders') for a drink. It's a small/hidden place but you'll meet some cool locals there. Then head on down to the trendy clubs all within walking distance where you can find some young hipster girls to prey upon. Beauty Bar, Tokio, over in that area you will find a few more little clubs and bars. They're all lame but it's a fun time.

You can also walk on down to Amoeba Music. Huge music store, gotta go.

I disagree about going downtown. I personally think Little Tokyo sucks, it's super small and the japanese is actually awful. I ate at some joint there once and both me and my girl left the food was so bad. Ended up almost dying. No joke. Instead go over to R23 for some bomb sushi and bomb atmosphere. Also trendy but worth it for the out-of-towner is going to the rooftop bar at The Standard in downtown. Find you a hot chick that is staying at the hotel, buy her some drinks and stay there for the night - plus the people who work at the restaurant poor some seriously strong drinks. Great brunch as well.

As far as shopping - just head over to Melrose or Robison. Or both.

The beaches are overrated and filthy.

The best thing to do is to grab in LA Weekly and find a good concert to go see. El Rey, Henry Fonda, Knitting Factory, Roxy, HOB, a lot of smaller clubs - you're sure to find something you'll like.

Want a good burger? Molly's burgers in Hollywood.

LA does kind of suck but if you're coming from out of town you got to enjoy yourself.

eww dont go to hollywood blvd.

yes to amoeba, R23, the standard, and concerts

la sucks if youre only visiting for a bit, which is why if you visit youd need to tag with someone who lives there and show you the real deal of la.

http://www.laweekly.com/content/printVersion/867257

^that list has lots of stuff you can eat all over la but since i dont eat mexican food, that list has less value to me ;/

my friends came out in the winter, I asked them if they wanted to do any tourist things, they said they wanted to go to the rainbow room on sunset because that's where axl used to hang out

When my friends and I were in LA in October we went there for the exact same reason.

• 4 months later...

Hey all!

Just trying to revive this thread!

I'll be heading to LA this Saturday for work (one week). And after that I decided to stay extra 2 days over the weekend.

I've only been in LA once before when I was 13 or something on a family trip so I don't remember much. But I do remember that I've done all the touristy stuff that everyone will be doing normally.

I'll be staying at West Hollywood during my 'work' period. But after that I need to find another hotel for the duration of my private stay. What will be the best area to go? I don't drive. So will probably only be taking cabs / walk.

Was thinking downtown, but not sure if that's a good idea?

If anyone can recommend a nice and cute hotel around 100-150 bucks a night it would be great!

Any other tip is also welcomed! Thanks! :)

Thanks!

• 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...
As long as you don't cause the thugs any trouble you should be cool. shit my old roommate would walk to his car dressed in false eyelashes, a shiny gold lame womens blouse, and tights and the hood rats never bothered him when i lived in Lincoln Heights.

there are some old studio apartments on hollywood near the los feliz AA store that i have seen go for about 900-1k for a studio on craigslist though this was about a year ago. they seemed well kept and spacious.

this is true of any major city for the most part. I have a 1 bedroom off the rampart/silverlake exit for 1100ish, 900 sq feet, 1921 building. I couldnt be happier with it, other than the squeeky hard wood floors.

My girlfriend is still in LA, and she lives in the Rosslyn building downtown, right off spring st, that in my opinion is by far one of the best deals Umbrian, she pays like $600 everything included for her studio, if I ever move back out there (which is highly unlikely as I HATE LA) I'd go straight for the SB apartments, by far the sickest apartments in the whole city.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...