What are you getting your friends/family for christmas?

CaptMomo

• 5 years later...

I have about $600 set off to the side for people this year, mostly just cash or gift cards.

Last thing I want to pickup is clothes or home goods. Not sure what else that leaves in, but I am not too creative. Surprised my bro thought about this one: Life on Blueray, those Nature DVD's since my folks do not have cable, don't have the money or time to travel, but really love nature, animals and everything else in between as documented. They also recently picked up a flat screen for the bedroom and put in a wall mount. Pretty nice. I thought bro's idea was very thoughtful and easy.

A Tahoe trip is also in the works with friends, perhaps I can put in some money to the trip for everyone? FWIW people around me and the family do not celebrate Christmas but we recognize the holiday.

Girlfriend will get headphones because I think hers are broken (BRAINWAVZ HM3) and a "ocd cutting board" because I thought it would be a fitting gift for our new flat and she sort of has ocd's and like cooking.

If my lil sis comes for xmas i'm gonna have to find her a gift, maybe a dinner at that nice sushi place I always walk past but can't exactly afford.

Might get some last minute gifts to people depending on with whom I spend xmas with.

dad: billykirk zip wallet, his old wallet broke and thought this'd be a good replacement

mom: not sure yet, maybe shoes? i dunno.

grandma: a louis vuitton wallet/purse i found on consignment

girlfriend: flowerbomb perfume and some make up brushes she's been wanting

brother: rag & bone shot glasses from nieman's/target

Dad: my older sisters and I split the purchase of a new Meisterstück since his other one disappeared.

Mom: a few painting related items off of her Amazon wishlist my sisters and I get every year via email + a couple things I bought when I was in Israel.

Oldest sister & her husband: a couple random books taking up room on my shelf (we exchange books every year) + a Visa gift card + bottle of Chimay (tradition (hate this word) with my two brothers-in-law)

Second oldest sister & her husband: few knick-knacks from Israel + Visa gift card + bottle of Chimay

Younger sister: a few books she wanted from Taschen + iTunes gift card + two tickets to see Fun. in Oakland in February with one of her friends + a Moleskine + a subscription to Teen Vogue which she will 'hate' but read cover-to-cover every month + her own Netflix account so our parents don't "ruin her suggestions and ratings" + a Keith Harring iPhone case + more useless shit I'll buy her between now and Christmas. Whenever I get her something serious she doesn't like it so I get her the same shit I would have gotten her when she was 12-14.

And I think I may buy myself a Kindle. But idk.

• 2 weeks later...

I get annoyed that my parents pretend to like the gifts I give them. Despite giving them what they said they wanted - and this includes gift cards, I see the stuff lying around unused the rest of the year. Last year I just handed them cash and it turned into an argument from Seinfeld (not unlike Jerry and his parents squabbling about money), but they spent it on their vacation anyway. So that's what I'm doing this year

Edited by wrong_move

girlfriend - cdg candle, many of them (the fashun book), beatles eleanor rigby/yellow submarine 7" japanese pressing, debussy LP boxset, tom ford lipstick.

mum - chanel mademoiselle perfume (has always been her favourite since she first got it a few years ago).

dad - aesop/apc post-poo drops, cheap bottle of wine (we aren't close).

granddad - norton t-shirt (norton's and triumph's are his life).

grandma - big wooden owl i found (she collects them).

i feel bad, i should have got my grandparents more but i ran out of money.

Edited by conqueror