SUPERDENIM SMALL QUESTIONS THREAD (Use instead of making new threads)

minya

so should i soak my crates when they come in the mail??

as a general rule, most western (ie. not japanese) modern manufacturers (acne, apc, nudies, etc.) use sanforized denim, the exception being LVC, but i guess those aren't really "modern." Crates are also sanforized i believe; i don't own any but i've handled them before and they def feel sanforized. so no, you should not need to soak them unless you want to remove starch..

as a general rule, most western (ie. not japanese) modern manufacturers (acne, apc, nudies, etc.) use sanforized denim, the exception being LVC, but i guess those aren't really "modern." Crates are also sanforized i believe; i don't own any but i've handled them before and they def feel sanforized. so no, you should not need to soak them unless you want to remove starch..

Apcs are definitely not sanforized. edit: i meant they arent sanforized as most people think of them as they do shrink more substanially then other denim similar to them when washed but do end up stretching back to worn condition rather quickly, sorry for the mistake.

I was in Armani Exchange the other day and they have a Indigo One Wash Slim Straight Selvage Jean for sale. I rubbed some paper on them in the changing room and sure enough they bleed dark blue. They had rivets in all the right places and denim was very nice. I really didnt like the rear pocket placement. They were $120.00 USD, but they were brand new to the store.

Any thoughts? I didnt know where else to post this, I didnt want to get flamed.

Just to clarify, you mean that anything not sold by a "demim company" is just crap?

My original thought is that Armani Exchage is just trying to get on the selvage indigo bandwagon. I just wanted some thoughts on the actual quality and make of the jean.

of course i don't mean that. APC, for instance, makes a quality jean for a good price. but i would be wary of products from a brand that isn't a tried and true purveyor of jeans.

anyway, if you don't like the pocket placement, don't buy it. there are many other options, you can be picky.

i don't own the rrds, but my understanding is that they stretch an inch or so. i'm a regular 30, so if i bought the rrds, i would most likely get a 29. with the fultons, there's no way i can fit into a 29, because the 30 is already snug on me. if this makes sense to you.

in other words, if your 32 rrds are perfect on you, most likely the 32 fultons won't be right for you.

I'm looking at getting into some Japanese denim. Is it much cheaper to go through something like rakuten & 2000db or is BiG's pricing pretty close? I'm guess I'm wondering what the best method to purchase Japanese denim in the US is.

The best thing about BiG is that you can try it on if you are in New York. You can also touch, feel and smell the denim there. Don't know if they will let you taste it. The other thing is that they have at hand, are a few pairs that have been broken in already, which can really help on deciding which pair to get. Finally, and I think that this was the most important to me, they will hem any jean that you buy there for free. And they do it with a vintage Union Special chain stitch machine. Chain stitch is important for the hem because it creates a better "roping" effect than a regular stitch when you wash the jeans.

Pricing is comparable to Rakuten, because you end up paying in shipping and customs.

I believe that 2000db is the most price effective, but you don't get to try anything on, so you can't really hem anything correctly.

Best thing to do is to travel to Japan and go to a store, but BiG is definitely an great alternative. Besides, the guys there are real cool and are very helpful.

I have a pair of size 30 RRDS that fits perfectly. Need something of the same fit. Recommendations please? I got dize 30 Imperial Dukes but they were a bit tight all the way around the leg, but the bum was perfect. Should I maybe go size 32 Dukes or maybe 30 Kings or something? Or some o ther brand? This search has been ongoing for a year now with no result.. NEED NEW JEANS

Here's a question regarding denims.

I've narrowed down my search for a new pair of raw denim and it's between a pair of Dior Japanese 19cm's and the Corpus Selvedge Tal.

Pros for Dior (IMO):

1) Fit

2) I love the back pocket design

3) Stacking

Cons:

1) I'm not very tall at all

2) Expensive

Pros for Corpus (IMO):

1) Fit

2) I like to support these guys

3) Price

4) Details

Cons:

1) Not as big of a fan of the back-pockets

2) Haven't seen them on anyone for reference

In case you haven't seen them, the jeans are here: http://www.activeendeavors.com/product.asp?catid=2869&listtype=c&pfid=AED15310

Someone want to help me out here?

Hey, did you get the Corpus in the end? How do they fit? True to size? I'm thinking of getting one of these too...

The best thing about BiG is that you can try it on if you are in New York. You can also touch, feel and smell the denim there. Don't know if they will let you taste it. The other thing is that they have at hand, are a few pairs that have been broken in already, which can really help on deciding which pair to get. Finally, and I think that this was the most important to me, they will hem any jean that you buy there for free. And they do it with a vintage Union Special chain stitch machine. Chain stitch is important for the hem because it creates a better "roping" effect than a regular stitch when you wash the jeans.

Pricing is comparable to Rakuten, because you end up paying in shipping and customs.

I believe that 2000db is the most price effective, but you don't get to try anything on, so you can't really hem anything correctly.

Best thing to do is to travel to Japan and go to a store, but BiG is definitely an great alternative. Besides, the guys there are real cool and are very helpful.

hi you said something about the customs

do i seriously have to pay that if I order jeans from japan?

cuz i was thinking about getting a s5000vx straight from samurai's website next january

it's about 20000yen if I have to pay for the customs do u know how much will it be? thx

My postal people told me that anything under US$800 came in without customs fees. Certainly there IS a cap or cut-off figure. My people say $800. Can anyone else verify or contradict this?

P.S. - Toshiko says the new S5000BKs will be in by mid-February.

Guest SisterRay

I just bought a pair of 32x32 jeans which seem more like a 30x31. They are a bit tight on me, I want to stretch the waist to get a better fit. How do you go about doing this?

question: pretty new to jeans and im looking to get some raw denim. nudies SJDS looked good, but it seems like you guys here think theyre overpriced. right now all i have is the 7forallmankind slimmy in montana, which is a 15" leg opening. i dont think i can go much tighter, especially in the thighs, as i race road bikes semi-pro.

5'11"

143lbs

my real waist is 32" and my inseam 35".

what jeans should i look at?

• superfuture unpinned, featured, unfeatured and pinned this topic