minya

SUPERDENIM SMALL QUESTIONS THREAD (Use instead of making new threads)

On 4/24/2020 at 3:53 AM, julian-wolf said:

@JDelage, mine are tagged size 8 (I think this was the largest size, 185 cm?) and measure 22 1/4" across the chest, 19 1/2" across the tops of the shoulders, and 18 1/2" across the backs of the shoulders. It's worth noting that the sleeves are fairly long, measuring 9 1/2" from the shoulder / 5 1/2" from the pit. This is all consistent between two tees, one of which has been through the dryer and the other of which hasn't.

Next time I order from them, I think I'll go a size down.

another thing with tezo tees in my experience is that the feel of the fabric seems to change according to the dyes used. i have one of the blackest colours they have and the fabric on that one apart from seeming a bit "thicker" when worn has stayed soft after (7?) years, meanwhile my "mourning" colour tee has become sort of rough and almost crispy especially after a wash even though supposedly both of them started off as the same plain loopwheel tees. 

Anyone wear fancy briefs or boxer briefs? Any recommendations? Have a couple pairs from Merz that I like a lot, and a pair from Ues that I don't like so much—both because they lack a fly and because they're part synthetic. For years I wore Kalvins and pretty much nothing else, but they changed their fit at some point around 2–3 years ago to one that no longer works for me; my stash is starting to dwindle and I figure this is as good a time as any to start upgrading more consistently. The Stevensons look good, but the only place I'm seeing them for sale is Self Edge and, while I'm sure it's a reasonable price for what I'd be getting, $80 / pair is more than I'm willing to spend right now. Looking specifically for 100% natural fiber.

@kiya, I remember you talking a few years ago about doing some testing yourself and putting together a list. Did anything ever come of that? (Am I just imagining things here? Wouldn't be the first time…)

Hanes. :D

I've drawn up some designs for some and have vintage (unworn ;)) examples of 1930-40s boxers, but I'm wondering if there's much of a market for it. Certainly, modeling them will be interesting!

@julian-wolf I’ve gone through a lot of boxer briefs trials. 
Duluth Buck Naked boxer briefs are the best! Lots of support and don’t lose their shape after a lot of washes. 

Posted (edited)

they weren't handmade by a little old lady in the swiss alps, but CKs are still fairly bombproof to me. there are tons of cuts/colours/materials, too.

Edited by conqueror

33 minutes ago, conqueror said:

they weren't handmade by a little old lady in the swiss alps, but CKs are still fairly bombproof to me. there are tons of cuts/colours/materials, too.

Yeah, if they still did a cut that worked for me I'd be sticking with them without question. Do wish they were a little less sweat-shop-ey, sure, but they've always been comfortable and have consistently lasted me 3+ years of weekly wear, so no complaints there. Since I'm having to switch either way, though, I figure I might as well go for an upgrade…

@ecsong187, heard good things about those, but very much not interested in synthetic blends.

I just go with Uniqlo underwear; 

4 hours ago, Iron Horse said:

I've drawn up some designs for some and have vintage (unworn ;)) examples of 1930-40s boxers, but I'm wondering if there's much of a market for it. Certainly, modeling them will be interesting!

Would that be the kind that have a v shaped yoke in the front & three pearl buttons? Seriously I remember seeing some like that in a vintage store. 

2 hours ago, CSL said:

Would that be the kind that have a v shaped yoke in the front & three pearl buttons? Seriously I remember seeing some like that in a vintage store. 

I might have some of those. ;)

Sunspel Boxers are a great fit - but ultimately they’re not worth the 500% uplift over M&S boxers which is my go to

However I would be interested in a proper vintage style french back boxers (I think Brooks still something similar)

B89844F6-707B-4900-A5F9-E970A816D9D9.jpeg

9 hours ago, SLAB said:

I just go with Uniqlo underwear; 

Yup, me too 

9 hours ago, Duke Mantee said:

Sunspel Boxers are a great fit - but ultimately they’re not worth the 500% uplift over M&S boxers which is my go to

However I would be interested in a proper vintage style french back boxers (I think Brooks still something similar)

B89844F6-707B-4900-A5F9-E970A816D9D9.jpeg

Yeah. These are what I was talking about. I wasn't brave enough to try them. Probably should have but then again if I'd become a devoutee where would I have found more? (This was in the pre internet days).

12 hours ago, Double 0 Soul said:

Marks & Sparks for me

S&M underwear for me too

Posted (edited)

Int'l shipping is such a mess right now. Here are the packages I've been waiting for:

Coming from:    Sent date:    Latest update:
USA                   17-Mar-20    Spent 1 month in JP (?) before being sent out on Apr-23. Out for delivery in France... Edit: Just delivered, 0n Apr-29...
USA                   23-Mar-20    Departed Chicago March 29
USA                   25-Mar-20    Departed NYC Apr-27
Australia            1-Apr-20       Departed Sydney on Apr-2. I worry is stuck in JP.
Japan                9-Apr-20       Departed Osaka Int'l on Apr-24
Lithuania            15-Apr-20    Departed Vilnius Int'l on Apr-18

Pretty stressful as it is; would be much worse without tracking....

Edited by JDelage

I may be a bit biased because I'm friends with Christian but Choctaw Ridge from Left Field makes supima boxers briefs as well as 3 button yoke boxers. The boxer briefs are kinda low cut but have retained their shape quite well. The boxers are higher cut almost sitting on your natural waist. They are really breathable for sure. 

@JDelage first world problems

Dang @JDelage that’s a lot of gear on the way! Haha 

what all did you buy? 

The point of my post is just to give people an illustration of the delays. We're not talking about a 1 week-to-10 day delay, more like 1 month plus.

Yea I’m glad I held off ordering anything when covid hit. 
i got my 1947 601xx from Hoosier a week or two before lockdown began 

Anyone know where to cop the Real McCoys SS chambray shirt without the USN stencil?

Any Jp-based dealer of Buzz Rickson / SC who would ship int'l (1) without tax and (2) marking down the value?

I used to buy all my SC from Vari, i was on really good terms with the staff and the answer to your question is yes, but i am talking more than 10yrs since i placed an order with them. The manager is/was called Hirofumi Udono and speaks excellent english, they're really good to deal with but i'm not sure how much of the range they carry nowadays.. they used to stock most of it.

@JDelage

Have you tried approaching Naoki-san of Pants Shop Avenue?

Always a pleasure to buy from.

Posted (edited)

You may strike lucky at Milwaukee. I can’t remember the manager’s/owner’s name as I haven’t bought anything there in years but they’re pretty good and even publicise their overseas mail order service.

Edit: I think his name is Mario.

Edited by Maynard Friedman

anyone bought the unbranded 16oz slub? any reviews?

Anybody have a good technique for minimizing the shrinkage on the first soak of unsanforized denim?

I have a new pair that fits perfect/tight as can get and there's really not much room to shrink.