minya

SUPERDENIM SMALL QUESTIONS THREAD (Use instead of making new threads)

@UkeNo FWIW I've bought from the MF store directly a few times - the service has been spot on in  my experience. They mark as gift if you ask. Last item I ordered Wed PM and received on Fri at my door no taxes. Not sure if they have the ranch blouse in your size but thought I'd mention this.

What brands have their own specific blogs?

On 3/7/2020 at 5:16 PM, MJF9 said:

@UkeNo FWIW I've bought from the MF store directly a few times - the service has been spot on in  my experience. They mark as gift if you ask. Last item I ordered Wed PM and received on Fri at my door no taxes. Not sure if they have the ranch blouse in your size but thought I'd mention this.

I've been in touch. Thanks @MJF9

they've recommended a size 42 for me - which they only have in one wash. And no size 40s left in stock. I'm still in the fence about sizing? Standard and strange have a 40 though. 

@UkeNo I think mine is 42 so can measure that if it helps? I suppose though if MF have a washed version they will have given you the actual measurements. My personal view is these work well worn slim so I didn’t size up. Purely personal preference as I typically wear mine with a t-shirt or single layer only. They are appropriately belt skimming so worth checking length. 

I have the measurements, thank you though. 
Just need to make up my mind. :rolleyes:

Anyone making a good set of sport shorts in indigo?

I'm looking for a high quality short sleeve sweatshirt. Like Strke Gold or Stevenson Overall level.

I have a Todd Snyder, it's awesome but I wish it were softer. 

Anyone know of any?

The toys version is great, sizing is really snug though. 

Anyone know who makes a good military spec web belt with a metal buckle? Looking for something better quality than rothco or something along those lines.

Any suggestions for a good, slim, portable camera? Costing low to mid hundreds of £s. Thanks.

Posted (edited)

If you're only spending a few hundred quid and want a slim portable camera, you'll not go far wrong with a iphone/huawei, for such a small lens the camera's are brilliant.

Edited by Double 0 Soul

Thanks OO. Got an iPhone. Sounds like I’d need to up the spend. Any suggestions for the next rung up? 

A few years ago, on the advice of my mate who is a professional sports photographer, I bought Mrs F a Canon PowerShot for about £400 (can’t remember the model) but it’s great. Highly recommended.

I use a Lumix at work (second Lumix ive had) i can't remember the exact model number, it was around £480 reduced from £749 but its not exactly slim, the photo's are very good but no better than my wife's P30 and has a downside of shooting at massive file size, it's like 20odd meg so the photo's take an age to upload. I just use a 20yr old Canon DSLR (knocked down to 6.4mp) for the forums.

Posted (edited)

most compact/slim system cameras are price/quality wise so close to what you'd get for an iphone/samsung/huawei. I'd recommend the fujifilm xpro 2 if you want to up it a little bit and want to play around with lenses and stuff

i shoot an xpro 1 at the moment and while you can get fantastic results if you know what you're doing, it definitely is more challenging and that sometimes takes the fun away from it

Edited by veening

Buy an older model Panasonic or Olympus micro four thirds - you could get a GX80 for £279 here - very good little camera and I’ll give you a couple of lenses

Posted (edited)

Thanks lads and thanks for the kind offer Duke. I’ll do some reading up on them.

Edited by MJF9

Posted (edited)

Digital camera resolution is nearly irrelevant these days (16MP is plenty for all but the most serious requirements) but lens resolution will make a huge difference - so a camera with interchangeable lenses can be upgraded and be more flexible

Edited by Duke Mantee

11 hours ago, MJF9 said:

Any suggestions for a good, slim, portable camera? Costing low to mid hundreds of £s. Thanks.

What kind of pics do you want to take? What are the things you'd like to do with it that you cannot do currently with your phone? We can't answer your question without this info.

Landscapes, buildings, denim, people. Looking for details of interest to be clearer. Phone is functional so no rush.

On 3/23/2020 at 12:16 AM, Geeman said:

The toys version is great, sizing is really snug though. 

What size did you go with in the Toys McCoy? I'm 5'8" and 130lbs or 173cm and 59kg if that helps more.

I didn't get it as they didn't have my size, tried the L which is my usual size for MIJ clothes but it was to small

5 hours ago, cmr_reed said:

What size did you go with in the Toys McCoy? I'm 5'8" and 130lbs or 173cm and 59kg if that helps more.

Just type TMC1458 into google and it’ll lead you to pics/sizing etc

Looking for some advice about sizing...

I want to order a pair of mister freedom lot 54’s off their site. They’re made from a sanforized 13oz cone denim. Got to try em on in a store and though the 28 was tight, much tighter and they’d be too tight, it seemed like they would stretch out perfectly. I liked the way the 29 looked but there was a bit of space in the waist, and didn’t think that the inevitable stretch would do any good there.

but... I’m thinking with this pair I want “vintage fades”. Planning on washing hot after every ~2 weeks of wear. Maybe even throwing them in the dryer once in a while (though maybe that’s too unpredictable, I’m curious if anyone has experience with this).

should I still go with the 28? Maybe wear them for 2 weeks raw to stretch out and then do the hot wash? In that case I’d be worried about the inseam shrinking too much and throwing off the creases.

alternatively I could get the 29 and do my best to shrink them up front.

what do you think?

^I would go with the 29, had my fair share of Jean's bought too tight. Also if you wash and dry often they might shrink half an inch or so in the waist.

Do you find the COVID-19 / confinement crisis makes you change the way you dress? Consume denim & associated wares? We-who-are-not-essential-workers certainly have more time to browse online stores...

I’m working long days at home so am expecting some sick arse fades.
I’ve turned to jeans I haven’t worn for ages such as my old SC47s that I sized up on far too much, just for comfort. 
I reckon as a result I’ll embrace older cuts once CV19 blows over.