SUPERDENIM SMALL QUESTIONS THREAD (Use instead of making new threads)

minya

Yo, bud. Chill.

Are you like the forum police? Or did someone die and make you King? Lol

I asked someone what the intended purpose was of the coverall. Its a high quality piece but I could not picture a suitable environment; however, I am interested yet unfamiliar with European practices and thought maybe it is well purposed for some endeavor over there which I was not aware.

Possibly vintage aircraft since there is not much grime & grease? Certainly it lacks the versatility of denim.

I thought the Seinfeld clip would sufficiently show the good nature of my post but apparently you missed that, bud.

Edited by Pedro

16 minutes ago, julian-wolf said:

You’re on a forum completely centred around folks spending hundreds or thousands of bucks on basic workwear, bud, really not sure what you expect

Sounds like there is a new sheriff in town, eh bud?

C1740E52-217C-4DF8-A99D-97DD5BDE3A63.jpeg

Edited by Pedro

As an example, I think those coveralls would be perfect if you were showing your vintage car with other collectors. 

In other words, in pursuit of a passion rather than a workplace as I originally attempted to envision.

5DD64D36-E3ED-4B4B-BEE7-045B8A76A8A4.jpeg

I don't think there's any work or hobby reason for the request, it's a (perhaps ill  thought) desired style purchase? 

Right up Cabourns street, who has to be one of the worst dressed guy on IG!

9 hours ago, Pedro said:

Yo, bud. Chill.

Are you like the forum police? Or did someone die and make you King? Lol

I asked someone what the intended purpose was of the coverall.

What the flips going on here? why does somebody need to justify a purchase of something they would like to wear by it needing a specific purpose, most folks i see wearing Canada Goose or Woolrich are not working at an arctic research facility they're stood at the bus stop... this might come as a surprise to you, idk..but you're on a denim related 'fashion forum' where most folks wearing workboots work in an office, folks wearing M-65's wern't in Nam (when i was a kid, the only folks i saw wearing M-65's were penniless students) folks wearing J-100's are not on their way to The Ace Cafe and folks wearing A-2's were not WWII flying ace's, you really need to come to terms with this or find a more like minded forum.

Saying that, you yourself... only a few weeks ago was looking at Sugarcane Carpenter pants but you're not a carpenter are you? what was their desired purpose? New Yankee Workshop re-enactment weekend?

I see coveralls worn "fashionably" all the time here in Tokyo, admittedly mostly by women. Went into two different stores today that had examples for sale. My wife has been thinking about getting a pair for a while so my attention ha been called to them quite often. Also, most of the ones I see are at least $200 if not much more.

I can't get my head around this kind of trolling.. Its like me joining mumsnet just so i can tell them that having children is environmentally irresponsible...you've offered us no contribution beyond the occasional washing instruction you've yet to offer us any fit pics, fading examples or denim knowledge your prime reason for being here is causing friction because folks are doing what 'they' want as opposed to what you think they should be doing.

1 hour ago, Double 0 Soul said:

No baseball caps unless you intend to hit a ball with a stick and certainly no sportswear for the circumferencly-challenged.

I think they’re called “people of weight” now

Haha, i never imagined my simple request to generate a small buzz. Thanks for the replies guys! It made my day. Almost threw out my military style clothes (never did army duty), my leather biker jacket (dont have a motorbike) and my vintage inspired denim (did not live in those times).

Anyway I understand its somewhat of a hate-love garment piece. I do like the aesthetic so i mwant to give it a try combined with a top though. Will check the clubstubborn as it is one of the cheapest available on the market.

9 hours ago, Double 0 Soul said:

What the flips going on here? why does somebody need to justify a purchase of something they would like to wear by it needing a specific purpose, most folks i see wearing Canada Goose or Woolrich are not working at an arctic research facility they're stood at the bus stop... this might come as a surprise to you, idk..but you're on a denim related 'fashion forum' where most folks wearing workboots work in an office, folks wearing M-65's wern't in Nam (when i was a kid, the only folks i saw wearing M-65's were penniless students) folks wearing J-100's are not on their way to The Ace Cafe and folks wearing A-2's were not WWII flying ace's, you really need to come to terms with this or find a more like minded forum.

Saying that, you yourself... only a few weeks ago was looking at Sugarcane Carpenter pants but you're not a carpenter are you? what was their desired purpose? New Yankee Workshop re-enactment weekend?

What are you talking about? 

I see absolutely nothing wrong with the coveralls. Like all items discussed and favored by this community, the coveralls were a quality piece of clothing from material to assembly. My question was what the buyer intended to use them for since coveralls are worn 99% of the time as an outer layer to protect ones clothing from getting dirty or scraped or torn. I could not think of a work environment that would allow them and simply was curious. 

Then I get some challenging response with someone who is not a Mod calling me “Bud”. Obviously a disparagement and disrespectful by intent. My name is Pedro. 

I have never seen coveralls worn in a social context. Dinnerware? Family Bar-B-Q? Business meeting? Ball game? Nada. So I asked the member.

With further thought, I realized that they would be cool to wear if yiu were a vintage auto collector. I think they would also be excellent if you had a watch or antique clock repair. They would fit the part. 

As for my question on overalls, yes, I am a carpenter of sorts, my brother has a business repurposing old boards and timbers to homeowners who like the authentic appearance. He also has clients that build post & beam (as I used to do) and the larger timbers are obviously hard to find so he works as a middleman and contracts with guys from the Upper Midwest who take down old barns and containerize them and ship them. I occasionally work with him (when I am not in SE Asia) both at his retail shop as well as grading the boards by their condition. I am not going to ask if thats OK with you because I certainly don’t need your permission. But I would not wear these overalls when I am fixing my old motorcycles or working with grease/oil since that sort of grime stains while sawdust can be brushed off.

I think you need to take a chill pill.

EDIT: I have also helped a Thai friend get started in a similar business repurposing old rice warehouses and tobacco buildings. The reclaimed lumber market is quite in demand in BKK.

Edited by Pedro

2 hours ago, Double 0 Soul said:

If you go on Crystal Maze you'll get one for nowt

image.thumb.png.b4880a2116b3b0aae6afad35753d6a0f.png

If I had posted this you would be telling me I need to find a new forum and that its terrible I am making fun of the member who had originally asked about the coveralls. 

But your photo does further the legitimacy of my original question, in what context can a guy wear coveralls outside of the workplace and not look a bit ridiculous?

Edited by Pedro

2 hours ago, SLAB said:

Haha, i never imagined my simple request to generate a small buzz. Thanks for the replies guys! It made my day. Almost threw out my military style clothes (never did army duty), my leather biker jacket (dont have a motorbike) and my vintage inspired denim (did not live in those times).

Anyway I understand its somewhat of a hate-love garment piece. I do like the aesthetic so i mwant to give it a try combined with a top though. Will check the clubstubborn as it is one of the cheapest available on the market.

Wow. Have you all lost your minds?

Do you honestly not see the difference between military style clothing, your leather biker jacket and vintage inspired denim compared to coveralls?

Each of the clothing items you mentioned are quite stylish in any number of contexts outside their originally designed purpose.

Obviously, the same cannot be said for coveralls, ergo, my original question. Where are coveralls fashionably acceptable? I mean this is a fashion forum so it seemed a very simple question.

At no time did I suggest you had no right to wear them. 

Edited by Pedro

7 hours ago, Double 0 Soul said:

I can't get my head around this kind of trolling.. Its like me joining mumsnet just so i can tell them that having children is environmentally irresponsible...you've offered us no contribution beyond the occasional washing instruction you've yet to offer us any fit pics, fading examples or denim knowledge your prime reason for being here is causing friction because folks are doing what 'they' want as opposed to what you think they should be doing.

Oh boy, where are the forum rules I am breaking? 

This recent forum outburst of yours is a perfect example. At no time did I ever suggest anything along the lines of who should be allowed to wear what clothing item or what anyone should be doing. The concept you hypothesize does not even make any logical sense.

I have not been intentionally disrespectful to anyone on here and the one time I was accused of it, I offered sincere apology. The same can certainly not be said of you or a couple others in your communication to me.

As for not contributing denim knowledge? Are you serious? Why would myself or 90% of the members attempt to offer denim knowledge to guys like yourself or a few others who are obviously expert? We come here to learn. 

As for fitpics. Yeah, I could show some but who the hell wants to see a pudgy Mexican wearing ill-fitting denim? Seriously. Do you?

I don’t and when you are gordo then all clothing is ill fitting. 

Edited by Pedro

..so there we have it, you create conflict where conflict didn't previously exist, absolve yourself of guilt by telling everyone else to 'chill' and take victim status... meh, its a pretty transparent and continuing mo.

What is it you wish to gain from your time here on superdenim? you very rarely venture outside the realms of small Q's or the general nonsense thread, the same threads where it's easy to generate argument without knowing anything about the subject matter of denim, which is the primery reason the rest of us hang out here.

I asked someone where they intended to wear coveralls that could not be worn in a workplace due to PPE regulations and you come unglued on me. Not victimhood, simple fact. Read your posts.

I like Seinfeld. That skit was one of my favorites. 

I think old photos are fascinating as well as early aviation history and Zepellins . I spend freetime perusing early photo archives and visiting historic sites. I have a real appreciation for natural fibers and textiles in general. Thats my interest in the forum, a great appreciation of the effort to recreate this period. 

Yeah, I am a real rabble rouser.  

Lol

BTW, back to original question: Where is it fashionable to wear these coveralls? Its a fashion forum so should be quite easy to answer for such an expert as yourself.

EDIT:

I find your last post hilarious. The amount of self importance you and a couple others have assigned yourselves is a real study in forum psychology. You actually think you have a right to question others on whether they have a right to be members. That is whacked Double-0.

I really have found your SC thread very insightful and useful. I have learned alot and it has given me an opportunity to maje some good purchases. Some of you guys seem to really need your Egos stroked, so hopefully this compliment to you will get you off my back.

Edited by Pedro

13 minutes ago, Pedro said:

BTW, back to original question: Where is it fashionable to wear these coveralls? Its a fashion forum so should be quite easy to answer.

Nigel cabourn made some coveralls and present them at London fashion week a couple of years ago. That's a pretty fashionable event right?

15 minutes ago, Pedro said:

BTW, back to original question: Where is it fashionable to wear these coveralls? Its a fashion forum so should be quite easy to answer.

Like I said above I see people wear similar styles regularly in Tokyo, it's not some wacky, out there fashion choice or anything.

15 minutes ago, Daf123 said:

Nigel cabourn made some coveralls and present them at London fashion week a couple of years ago. That's a pretty fashionable event right?

It sounds like a fashionable event, yes.

Are you seeing them worn in the wild now?

13 minutes ago, pudaspriest said:

Like I said above I see people wear similar styles regularly in Tokyo, it's not some wacky, out there fashion choice or anything.

OK, yes, I have been to Tokyo and it is certainly the bastion of “non-whacky, out there fashion”. For example, here is some conservative Tokyo Street Style..

Meant in good humor.

0D86D115-C070-4C9A-8CF5-8AD9F076ACA1.jpeg

• superfuture unpinned, featured, unfeatured and pinned this topic