SUPERDENIM SMALL QUESTIONS THREAD (Use instead of making new threads)

minya

On 11/6/2019 at 7:33 PM, julian-wolf said:

Super pretty fabric, but spending that much on jeans just for the fabric just doesn’t make sense. The whole thing’s out of balance—it’s like if Roy started making jeans from the fabric Levi’s uses for modern-day Walmart 501s. Good fabric deserves good construction, and good construction deserves good fabric.

I’ve got nothing against Gustin as a company, but releases like these or like the various $300+ N&F jeans made using world-class denim with the same standard construction and detailing 100% do not make sense to me.

Agreed. They do use some nice fabric, but their overall construction and detailing looks just meh. And, I can't stand their exposed selvedge on the belt loop. If they got rid of that, upgraded their rivets, and did a littlemore with their stitching, then I'd get a pair just to try. Their various cuts look good on their models, but I'm not sure there's one that I'd prefer - they seem a little low in rise and slim in the thighs. 

^ I don't think it's an issue with the company as a whole—some of their more standard offerings are really reasonable "entry-level" jeans. For those that can make the styling work, I think their sub-$100 options are some of the best on the market within that price range.

The Straight cut has a real low rise, but besides that it's not too slim. I have big thighs and was able to make it work okay. I wouldn't go back to them now, but I'm still glad that I started off with them and not Naked & Famous or any of the other fashion-ey brands.

Going back to the vests conversation from a few months back—how's the sizing on Rocky Mountain Featherbed? I generally wear a 42 in Japanese brands, but shoulders are often the limiting factor. Would I more likely be a 40 or a 42? Started checking Yahoo for them regularly and enough pairs seem to show up new or lightly-used that I'm thinking I'll probably go for one sooner or later.

6 hours ago, julian-wolf said:

Going back to the vests conversation from a few months back—how's the sizing on Rocky Mountain Featherbed? I generally wear a 42 in Japanese brands, but shoulders are often the limiting factor. Would I more likely be a 40 or a 42? Started checking Yahoo for them regularly and enough pairs seem to show up new or lightly-used that I'm thinking I'll probably go for one sooner or later.

Obviously the shoulders are a misleading measurement to go by for them due to them being vests. I wear a 40 (and usually a Japanese size L ) which is a little snug over a tshirt and thick hoodie or denim jacket but they do feel snug due to the padding. I'd suggest looking at the 42 and consider the chest and length. They are quite boxy. 

Great vests.

Quick question... Have any of you sold things via Instagram (e.g. through your stories/posts)? Any luck? 

I got a heap of things I want to sell. I went back onto Grailed then got discouraged by the amount of lowballing and how slow/old the site is.

@JDelage Clutch just off Oxford Circus isn’t bad https://clutch-cafe.com/ they have a nice budding selection and a few of the staff crossed over from Son of a Stag https://www.sonofastag.com/ , not the best website better to go in person as the have floor to ceiling of denim stock. Some of their pieces have killer prices...

'kase' dyeing is a dyeing method whereas 'ai' usually means natural indigo which then is also often hank dyed or in terms of SDA's wording is kase dyed (although I haven't heard this term so often).

So 'ai' could be rope dyed.

But in this situation, it's likely the same between SDA and PBJ

Edited by beautiful_FrEaK

• superfuture unpinned, featured, unfeatured and pinned this topic