SUPERDENIM SMALL QUESTIONS THREAD (Use instead of making new threads)

minya

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone successfully flattened the rivets on the back pockets? Been using my lvc ‘33s and they’re scratching up my furniture.

If you have, how did you do it?

On 6/12/2019 at 8:04 PM, Spiraltoy said:

Anyone with experience of the DC4 hemming service? Going to Berlin in a couple of weeks and thinking of bringing a pair that needs shortening. If there’re any better places in Berlin, please tell me!

On 6/12/2019 at 9:38 PM, beautiful_FrEaK said:

I was always pleased with the hemming from DC4. I don't think there is a better option in Berlin

agree - apparently, B&S (Burg & Schild) is gearing up for a Union Special at one point in the near future, too...

Edited by Foxy2

8 hours ago, mikecch said:

Jewelry hammer and a solid surface for striking. Not too difficult :)

Do you happen to have a photo of your handiwork? I was wondering if a small file would be helpful.

thanks

Edited by Pedro

1 hour ago, Pedro said:

Do you happen to have a photo of your handiwork? I was wondering if a small file would be helpful.

thanks

used ordinary hammer and stone stairs as a surface - went fine

On 6/22/2019 at 5:32 PM, Spiraltoy said:

Has anyone successfully flattened the rivets on the back pockets? Been using my lvc ‘33s and they’re scratching up my furniture.

If you have, how did you do it?

Same thing happened with my SDA D1507. Took a regular hammer and carefully tapped them flat like dau. Zero exposed back pocket rivets in my future. Here you go, Pedro.

B3C5683F-F722-400E-AE76-9E49CD4020E7.thumb.jpeg.ab0f83c0f31171150775361a88f57e3e.jpeg

Edited by lance

Nice! That looks like it would scratch things less. I’ve got a vice and all sorts of hammers so I’ll give it a try. Will post finished alterations when.

• 2 weeks later...

I always used Blue Owl and had good results until the last pair I sent.  The hem width on that pair was much wider than previous pairs. 

I later found out that the guy that had previously done all the hems left to start his own shop and took his machine with him.  You might want to email to confirm, but I'm 95% sure he's the guy that would have done my previous hems.  If so, I would highly recommend his work. 

https://www.wrighthandtwill.com/products/hemming-service

Edited by fresh1

• 2 weeks later...

I have just listed a number of items on eBay under my user name (Joss3). They include Strike Gold & SDA sweats, an SDA Fox cotton jacket, and a few more items by Tender & MFSC, all with a $0.01 start price...

Mold.

Kapow! Knock out mold using these basic steps.

B8F6ECBB-33C3-49B2-A0A7-A7CB3781C3AC.jpeg.b8381620f6dddbd1b5169d53a45954a8.jpeg

These arrived from an Asian online auction. 

Soak in Undiluted White Vinegar for an hour. (5% Acetic Acid).

Then soak in H2O2 (Hydrogen Peroxide).

You can spray mist these on or just soak them. I would soak denim since its such thick fabric.

Wash in the machine as usual. 

Strong UV Sunlight helps but exposing to heat above 140*F for 20 minutes is excellent as well.

BTW, be careful buying used denim on EBay, Grailed, etc because it can be contaminated and then you store the item in your wardrobe and whamo! 

I decided to throw this pair away after thinking about it. It came from Asia and the thought of catching some kind of exotic rot in my privates was not worth the risk.

DF839919-ADFC-40F7-9302-58589E46625F.jpeg

94C7070E-9C2C-464E-8A13-4DCE993BE16D.jpeg

4674F385-B67B-4B17-9355-3661BF09B2E1.jpeg

Edited by Pedro

@kicks79

Everything that kills mold is potentially damaging to natural fibers. Every product has to be rinsed out with a wash cycle using detergent.

If left in for long enough then that would become a risk. In the US, I think most consumer grade H2O2 is about 3% but it is possible to find industrial grades in higher concentrations. Unfortunately, mold is very resilient. For example, one method to eliminate mold is bleach. 

I don’t recall the exact numbers but I think vinegar is effective against approximately 90% of molds and H2O2 is effective on close to 90% of molds; however, between the two, the effectiveness is 100%.

Both vinegar and Hydrogen Peroxide are damaging if not thoroughly rinsed out. That is why following with a wash cycle in detergent is imperative. 

EDIT:

Oxiclean (the granule form) creates H2O2 when added to water. The percentage would be dependent on the quantity of water but this does give some insight into the relative colorfastness of H2O2.

Edited by Pedro

• superfuture unpinned, featured, unfeatured and pinned this topic