SUPERDENIM SMALL QUESTIONS THREAD (Use instead of making new threads)

minya

I don't see how y'all narrow down brands for people who ask which brand of denim they should go with without asking them what price they're looking for, cut, size, ounce of denim, etc.  I'm not judging anybody answering his question but I thought the question was too broad for me to answer IMO.

However, I tried that once awhile back with Denimio.  They asked the same thing regarding what exactly I'm looking for in terms of denim.

3 hours ago, i_denim said:

Samurai or Warehouse or orSlow? Wasn't looking for a new pair as just started breaking in my PBJ but some fade pics of a Samurai on another forum really killed me. Warehouse - everybody says they are the nicest jeans they've ever worn. I don't know why orslow appeals to me but it does.

Why not buy them all if you keep obsessing over everything you don’t have and not being able to enjoy those you already have? This isn’t a race to the finish line, why not enjoy the ride and take it slow? But for some reason some of you guys just keep pestering with the same kind of questions over and over again, you’re given help and advice and still the cycle goes on and on.

7 hours ago, mlwdp said:

I don't see how y'all narrow down brands for people who ask which brand of denim they should go with without asking them what price they're looking for, cut, size, ounce of denim, etc.  I'm not judging anybody answering his question but I thought the question was too broad for me to answer IMO.

However, I tried that once awhile back with Denimio.  They asked the same thing regarding what exactly I'm looking for in terms of denim.

Doesn't this depend on how the question is asked? There was no mention of price, or denim weight was there? He asked for a recommendation between three brands, and that's what he was given. 

If you prefer advice to come in the form of a criteria-matched algorithm, then stick with Denimio. 

I miss the days when people used to go out and discover denim on their own and then report back here. 

1 hour ago, UkeNo said:

Doesn't this depend on how the question is asked? There was no mention of price, or denim weight was there? He asked for a recommendation between three brands, and that's what he was given. 

If you prefer advice to come in the form of a criteria-matched algorithm, then stick with Denimio. 

I miss the days when people used to go out and discover denim on their own and then report back here. 

To each his own.

That's exactly what I did with my Trophy 1605bk.  I saw Trophy briefly mentioned here and the model I bought has no fades posted online and only 3 retailers carrying this style, none on Rakuten.  I have no clue on the fading speed of this denim as there is no info posted online.  I'm glad I did this because it's made a new fan of the brand.

Edited by mlwdp

20 hours ago, Bobbo said:

Wasn't there talk about arranging a meet-up in Tokyo some time ago? That would be crazy. 

There was! Kind of fizzled out, but Tokyo is a 3-hr flight for me, so whenever you guys are ready, I'll be there :P

CC Show (March/September) wouldn't be a bad idea considering half of the world's denim royalty is in Yokohama during those three days.

Edited by Iron Horse

On 27.3.2018 at 12:27 AM, superfuture said:

there was a major DNS fuckup. 

Glad it wasn't just me, yesterday it worked on my phone using the same router my computer is connected to but the PC just couldn't load the forum even after /flushdns. Thought I was not seeing something really obvious so too scared to ask :D

On 3/26/2018 at 1:23 AM, Iron Horse said:

There was! Kind of fizzled out, but Tokyo is a 3-hr flight for me, so whenever you guys are ready, I'll be there :P

CC Show (March/September) wouldn't be a bad idea considering half of the world's denim royalty is in Yokohama during those three days.

A Greensboro meetup would've been awesome, historic wise, especially with the (unfortunate) closing of the Cone plant.  

Question/help on some hemming issues.

I have never hemmed prior to a decent first wear and first wash to account for length shrinkage, which we can acknowledge exists even is some sanforized denim. However, I have a few pair which are way to long too wear out of the box.  In other words, so long they would be a triple cuff which looks ridiculous.  So my specific question is how do you all account for shrinkage if you really need to hem?   Do you just guess? Thanks

Have the veterans understood several "Cuts" well to be able to match the requirements to a fit? I am still confused between Regular tapered, Straight tapered, slim tapered, relaxed tapered and Loose tapered. I know I can't wear a leg opening of more than 15 inches, hence the interest in tapered fits. But the rest of the terminology is still confusing. My latest pair of PBJ 019 is sold as relaxed tapered but it is anything but relaxed. Or I could hop over to Self edge site and try to find something. 

You should forget about the idea of reading much into such descriptions, as they are entirely manufacturer-/marketing-dependent and tell nothing about the actual measurements or fit.

What you should also do is check the measurements of your best-fitting pair (those PBJ, presumably) and decide where it’s off and by how much, to then be able to proceed with finding a pair that’s similar-but-not.

Do all brands offer a pair with a cinch back? Searched on Okayama, Self Edge and Rivet but couldn't find anything. That is THE one thing missing on my pair of PBJ and FH I figured. Warehouse 700 seems sold out everywhere and looks like a decent high rise/tapered/cinch back. Never did buy much on eBay but here I come.

Off to Google to search Flathead Cinchback, PBJ Cinchback etc.

I will not obsess. I will not obsess.

1 hour ago, i_denim said:

Have the veterans understood several "Cuts" well to be able to match the requirements to a fit? I am still confused between Regular tapered, Straight tapered, slim tapered, relaxed tapered and Loose tapered. I know I can't wear a leg opening of more than 15 inches, hence the interest in tapered fits. But the rest of the terminology is still confusing. My latest pair of PBJ 019 is sold as relaxed tapered but it is anything but relaxed. Or I could hop over to Self edge site and try to find something. 

My God, you’re still at it! You’ve been told already many times: don’t pay attention to anything else than the measurements, different makers use different terminology!

Do all brands offer a pair with a cinch back? Searched on Okayama, Self Edge and Rivet but couldn't find anything. That is THE one thing missing on my pair of PBJ and FH I figured. Warehouse 700 seems sold out everywhere and looks like a decent high rise/tapered/cinch back. Never did buy much on eBay but here I come.

Off to Google to search Flathead Cinchback, PBJ Cinchback etc.

I will not obsess. I will not obsess.

Are you serious? Or a troll?

Edited by mrman

15 minutes ago, Critical Observer said:

Cinch is not a common feature by a longshot

Lee 101 Cinch Tapered, however...

- 13,5” front rise in size 36

- 14,5” leg opening in size 36

- cinch back

- super-badass denim, fadez for dayz

Thanks. That is helpful.

^^^  this shit HAS to be trolling. I dont understand. I cant read these questions anymore

Please for the sanity of the other members of the forum, could you please actually put on a pair of your jeans and show us a photo, or atleast take a photo of them on your floor or something.

No more measurement, cut, fabric or termonology questions please

14 minutes ago, MasonAlexander said:

^^^  this shit HAS to be trolling. I dont understand. I cant read these questions anymore

Please for the sanity of the other members of the forum, could you please actually put on a pair of your jeans and show us a photo, or atleast take a photo of them on your floor or something.

No more measurement, cut, fabric or termonology questions please

Here's some fit pics of my PBJ https://supertalk.superfuture.com/topic/117942-pure-blue-japan/?do=findComment&comment=3273160

1 hour ago, i_denim said:

Have you checked out reddit’s raw denim page? I think you’d like it because the topics are more related to the cuts/brands you seem to like, and people are more receptive to answering basic questions from people with a more recent interest in denim.

@i_denim I think you're not winning much favor from folks around here in large part because you seem to be overlooking the fact that superdenim is a huge archive of information. You don't always need to ask questions when you can very often answer them for yourself by reading the years and pages of others' insights, experiences, and opinions. Also, don't forget to just wear and actually enjoy your jeans; for the sake of an analogy--you can know all the rules of chess regardless of whether you have a board or pieces, but you're never going to learn how to play the game until you actually start playing the game.

• superfuture unpinned, featured, unfeatured and pinned this topic