supertalk6
minya

SUPERDENIM SMALL QUESTIONS THREAD (Use instead of making new threads)

On 12/23/2017 at 2:21 PM, LQW said:

Going to Japan in a week! Luckily there's plenty of cool shopping recs posted all around superdenim but I'd love to hear any normal recommendations from you guys. Food, places, overrated destinations, general musings... fire away!

What kinds of stores/brands are you interested in?

My favorite part of Tokyo is taking day trips out of Tokyo (cop out answer). Kawaguchiko is a great spot for viewing Fuji, for example. There's also Hakone, Kamakura, Enoshima, Yokohama, etc.

Overrated? Shibuya Scramble didn't really impress me, but maybe because I've been in Asia for a while. Harajuku Takeshita is interesting only for the freaky middle-aged men dressed as neon school girls. If you've been to Kyoto/Nara/anywhere historical in Japan then I don't Sensoji will impress you too much. Do go to Robot Restaurant (but don't eat the food there). 

Occasionally people cross-post Instagram photos in the threads, which seem to be infinitely sized when viewing on an iPhone and make it impossible to scroll past or continue viewing that thread. Consequently I have to back out of the thread.

Does anyone else experience this or know how to prevent it from happening?

7 hours ago, Maynard Friedman said:

Occasionally people cross-post Instagram photos in the threads, which seem to be infinitely sized when viewing on an iPhone and make it impossible to scroll past or continue viewing that thread. Consequently I have to back out of the thread.

Mmh doesn't happen on Android smartphones.. I would suggest you to change phone!

12 hours ago, Maynard Friedman said:

im on iPhone and it does not do this.  Everything looks totally normal.    I use Chrome browser if that helps.  

Slim fitting “modern style” denim with slightly higher rise(not relax taper)

Would appreciate any reccomendations.  My current collection is more of a 50s style with wider legs (Roy,IH 634 LF GREASER etc)mostly due to the fact that I usually ha e had an issue with the lower rise pairs I’ve tried (IH633).  So had to go more retro to get the rise.

Can anyone suggest a pair that is slim straight or with a slight taper that runs a bit higher in the rise than 11 at a 35 to 36 waist. Also looking for something with thighs closer to 12.5 

For example my ideal pair would be a Railcar spike, neat, no adornments or arc, slimmer thighs, but the rise is too,low 

thanks in advance 

Edited by kbuzz

Maybe try 3sixteens Slim Tapered cut?

The ST model comes in a few varieties of denim. The rise and thigh measurements for the 36" should be close to what you are looking for.

6 hours ago, Bobbo said:

Nice to see your face again Ranonranonarat!

7 hours ago, beautiful_FrEaK said:

We are still here mate ;)

good to see familiar faces still!

6 minutes ago, Geeman said:

I use Grailed and everything's sold. 

(Shameless plug , momo and RMC for sale)

https://www.grailed.com/users/myitems/4878

I also listed on grailed. Some Stevenson and a pair of LVC and I have a Gladhand/Gangsterville jacket. I just wasnt sure if maybe our little Japanese brands were to obscure for Grailed. 

(Side note: Ive actually been watching your RMC shirt on there. Didnt know it was a SUFU family hahah)

There's quite a bit of Sufu appropriate brands on there.  It's not all yeezy and supreme;)

Definitely grailed. Though ebay as the last resort. Fees for grailed are much better than ebay since you only pay once.

On 1/8/2018 at 11:12 AM, ranonranonarat said:

shit man it’s been a while. anyone here who remembers me still know what happened to everyone else? 

Ranon, good too see you, bud. I took a few-years vacation as well. 

On 1/9/2018 at 3:24 PM, lance said:

Is Gordon still associated with Blue in Green?

Lance, yes he is, and replied to a few of my emails over the last six months. Though the delays in his responses give me the sense that he's less directly at the helm (or in the store) than he used to be, possibly due to the store's expansion. Dunno, but when he hasn't replied himself directly, I've received replies from his always-friendly staff.

On 12/17/2017 at 3:26 AM, Spiraltoy said:

As a quite short person (170cm/5’7), I’ve often wondered about the fact that most Japanese denim only come in one length. This works ok if it’s a true straight cut but what about tapered cuts like the ‘66 or more modern cuts. The fit would be drastically different on a person of my height compared to one who doesn’t need to hem at all. I need the jeans hemmed at about 29 inches (after shrinkage) compared to the “36 that most jeans come in. Thoughts?

Spiraltoy, I'm not sure if this question was answered to-point, but being a less than 30" inseam wearer myself (I like 'em unstacked, high and cuffed), and preferential to tapered cuts, I've found that tapered cuts these days will increase in leg opening as they are hemmed. This is the case for me with Oni's relax taper, Tanuki, Momtaro tight taper and SDA's Denimio contest 002's. The continuous taper from knee-down usually isn't as drastic as it may seem, so you might have a variance of only .25"-.3" across when hemmed from 33" inseam to 29". So "drastic" isn't a word I'd use. Keep in mind too that after shrinkage, a 36" inseam may only end up being 33-34".

13 hours ago, mlyngard said:

Spiraltoy, I'm not sure if this question was answered to-point, but being a less than 30" inseam wearer myself (I like 'em unstacked, high and cuffed), and preferential to tapered cuts, I've found that tapered cuts these days will increase in leg opening as they are hemmed. This is the case for me with Oni's relax taper, Tanuki, Momtaro tight taper and SDA's Denimio contest 002's. The continuous taper from knee-down usually isn't as drastic as it may seem, so you might have a variance of only .25"-.3" across when hemmed from 33" inseam to 29". So "drastic" isn't a word I'd use. Keep in mind too that after shrinkage, a 36" inseam may only end up being 33-34".

Giles at Ironheart suggests using this method to calculate the effect oh hemming on tapered jeans. Sure theres a bit of variation due to degree of taper pre/post soak etc but works as a guide

Total inseam in inches minus 13 = Lower leg

Knee minus hem in inches = Taper

Taper/Lower Leg = Taper per inch (TPI)

Number of inches you want to shorten inseam by multiplied by TPI equals the amount the hem will be larger than original hem

John Lofgren Sneaker sizing in UK? 

I'm looking at the Denim Lofgrens and have seen recommendations to size down half a size from standard US sizing. 

I'm a UK 10, so should I be buying a US11 or a US10 as they run a bit big? 

Thanks

5 hours ago, UkeNo said:

John Lofgren Sneaker sizing in UK? 

I'm looking at the Denim Lofgrens and have seen recommendations to size down half a size from standard US sizing. 

I'm a UK 10, so should I be buying a US11 or a US10 as they run a bit big? 

Thanks

They run slightly longer than normal (i.e. Vans, New Balance, Adidas), but about the same as Converse. I measure a 9.0 US, and a 8.5 US in these Lofgren's fit well. 

I wear 10 in Lofgrens, Converse, and Vans; measure 10E Brannock.

John's shoes and boots are essentially E width, so I just follow my Brannock size with his footwear. 

Are there any pics of the Trophy 1605BK Black Dirt Denim as a faded pair only?  I've read that the pair fades to gray but I want to see it for myself to ge an idea.  Can't find a picture anywhere of a heavy fades pair, only as a new pair, which is odd.

Does anyone know how to read Japanese because I'm trying to purchase something from Bears on Rakuten, and I don't know what option to choose in the dropdown box.

Here is the question thingo:

デニム永久保障の要不要 

And these are the two options you can choose from:

付けない(BEARS '印を押さない)

付ける(BEARS '印を押す)

I tried using Google translate and other online translators, but I still don't know what they mean haha Anyone able to help out?

They do have a international site where all things should be translated into English.

But if I see that correctly it's about a stamp on the leather patch. Choose the first option you have posted.

17 minutes ago, beautiful_FrEaK said:

They do have a international site where all things should be translated into English.

But if I see that correctly it's about a stamp on the leather patch. Choose the first option you have posted.

Yeah, I went on the international site where it was already translated, but I couldn't understand what it was referring to... Ended up trying the Japanese site and using other online translators to see if it came up with something I could understand. It ended up saying the following on global Rakuten:

デニム永久保障の要不要 = Unnecessary of the denim eternal security required

付けない(BEARS '印を押さない)= I do not attach it (I do not push the BEARS' mark)

付ける(BEARS '印を押す)= Attach (I push the BEARS' mark)

I guess I'll choose the first option, so thanks for your input!