supertalk6
minya

SUPERDENIM SMALL QUESTIONS THREAD (Use instead of making new threads)

Found this denim jacket....here are some pictures of it.  Details - denim feels like average weight, maybe 14 oz.  Small E red tab but large E tag where patch usually is.  Made in USA.  Non-selvedge denim.  Can anybody tell me anything about this jacket?  All that I really know is that it's made after 1970-something and Made in the US.  Specifically, I am interested in the origin of the "LEVIS Casuals" tag as it related to a jacket like this.  Also, there is a tag with some codes on it. 

levis1unnamed.jpg

levis2unnamed.jpg

leviIMG_5761.jpg

IMG_5760_(2).jpg

LLLunnamed.jpg

Edited by jeffrx

The '0299' on the care tag could indicate that it was made in February 1999.

9 hours ago, Maynard Friedman said:

The '0299' on the care tag could indicate that it was made in February 1999.

Yes, certainly sounds reasonable.  I'm wondering why the big E on the neck label and the small e on the red tab mostly.  Does this mean it's a LVC production of something from the 80s?  Do they even do that?  LOL  I'm not sure what the point would be. 

Interested in purchasing a pair of Sage's 5th Chieftan, but it's my first time with unsanforized denim. I'm in love with their design and cut, so I'm gonna stick with them. Having some trouble with sizing though. My UB121s in size 30 are my best fitting jeans, and I measured the waist to 33" flat. Would the size 32 Sage with a 34" waist be a good choice for unsanforized? The rest of the measurements are comparable between the two, and I'm mostly concerned with the waist.

The waist is the easiest part to stretch and often stretches back to raw measurements. If your current jeans are a 30 and the new jeans a 32 that may be a bit of a jump in size, although I don't know if UB are  intentionally vanity sized. 

12 hours ago, Geeman said:

The waist is the easiest part to stretch and often stretches back to raw measurements. If your current jeans are a 30 and the new jeans a 32 that may be a bit of a jump in size, although I don't know if UB are  intentionally vanity sized. 

That's my one concern - vanity sizing. The online measurements for UB121s said the waist is 31", which is a full 2" less than what I measured. Trying to get hand measurements from Sage at the moment.

The rise is a little higher on the sage, so take that into account.  Might not make a huge difference.  Also, if you are comparing the UB site measurements to your current pair, keep in mind that the waist in your pair has probably stretched over time, so use that measurement to compare to whatever info you get from Sage.  Make sure you know how they are measuring.

If your current well-fitting jeans measure 33" at the waist, you should get the 32 (34") sage.  If it shrinks to 32, it will stretch to whatever your current waist measurement is.  I am not sure you would want to try the 30 and hope for all that additional stretch. 

Edited by HGS
typo

2 hours ago, HGS said:

If your current well-fitting jeans measure 33" at the waist, you should get the 32 (34") sage.  If it shrinks to 32, it will stretch to whatever your current waist measurement is.  I am not sure you would want to try the 30 and hope for all that additional stretch.

Thank you, this was my hunch, I appreciate the solid advice.

Could somebody clarify TCB a bit more for me? Are they a sub-sect of Levi's, are they a different brand entirely? What makes them so coveted? Does TCB really stand for "Taking Car of Business"?

TCB is a Japanese brand that has nothing whatsoever to do with Levi's besides, like many other Japanese brands, aspiring to replicate the "good old times" Levi's experience.

1 hour ago, hudsonjames said:

Does TCB really stand for "Taking Car of Business"?

I believe it stands for "Two Cats Brand". Levi's has long been known as "Two Horses Brand" for the iconic image used on their patches; TCB uses a similar image, but one that features playful cats rather than workhorses.

^^^ I think you mean LVC rather than TCB. These TLAs are very confusing!

Edited by Maynard Friedman
Needed an extra ^

2 hours ago, julian-wolf said:

I believe it stands for "Two Cats Brand". Levi's has long been known as "Two Horses Brand" for the iconic image used on their patches; TCB uses a similar image, but one that features playful cats rather than workhorses.

Aha, that's why I was confusing them, the patch looks so similar. Thank you for the clarification!

I'm placing an online order with a UK retailer (they have couple brick n mortar stores in UK), and paid via credit card. I've then got an email from some third party service called nofraud.com, which is an american company, asking me to reply 'YES' if i indeed placed the order, and then asking for an email with picture of a valid photo ID and picture of my credit card but hiding first 12 digits of card number.

I then emailed the retailer and they confirmed it is legit and a new service they are using.

Is this common practice? Or is it even legal?

To me it feels completely dodgy. I have no problem showing ID in store, but I will not send my personal data like that over email. 

@Niro I have never experienced that, ever, and share your concern about sending information like that over email.  Honestly I can't imagine how a company that is supposed to prevent fraud would encourage sharing that type of information over email.  It seems like a proactive fraud prevention service but I wouldn't feel comfortable using it. 

I'm sure you have googled Nofraud.com, but this page seems to explain the process that was asked of you and may be helpful for anyone else who experiences this. 

https://www.nofraud.com/ecommerce-fraud-detection

Edited by HGS

That seems pretty dumb. I don't see why a third party service like that is necessary with things like "Verified by VISA" or the Mastercard equivalent existing... especially since writing emails back and forth takes all the speed out of online transactions.

1 hour ago, Niro said:

I'm placing an online order with a UK retailer (they have couple brick n mortar stores in UK), and paid via credit card. I've then got an email from some third party service called nofraud.com, which is an american company, asking me to reply 'YES' if i indeed placed the order, and then asking for an email with picture of a valid photo ID and picture of my credit card but hiding first 12 digits of card number.

I then emailed the retailer and they confirmed it is legit and a new service they are using.

Is this common practice? Or is it even legal?

To me it feels completely dodgy. I have no problem showing ID in store, but I will not send my personal data like that over email. 

I would NOT comply

furq dat

thanks guys, that's what i thought.

I've sent email to cancel the order. I contacted their London shop and they have what I want in stock there so I will just buy in person

having trouble digging through the sufu archives figuring out how size Eternal 811...

If I want a fit similar to TCB 50s (true straight) how should I size for Eternal 811? Debating between 28 and 29.

I wear 28 in TCB for a perfect fit. My Resolute 710 are size 29 and too snug in the waist and thighs. My FC 1101 size 28 are too loose in the waist (I measured 30) but the thighs are fine. Thanks

a worthy article on the rise in popularity of denim thanks to the youth of the civil rights movement having their own 'vintage' resurgence...

"Hippies aimed to be “salt of the earth” with their communes and community farms, but for black sharecroppers, the style was a function of poverty, not fashion"

https://www.racked.com/2017/10/30/16496866/denim-civil-rights-movement-blue-jeans-history

What can people tell me about 'The Hill-Side'? I see that they sell items by Tender as well as their own label. How is the quality (of the H_S label)?

Edited by JDelage

The only thing I've ever gotten from the Hill Side was a pair of green, selvedge chinos about 4 years back, but it was made in Japan by J.S. Homestead. Have never heard complaints about HS stuff, but they also don't get much play here or on Denimbro. 

@JDelage I can't speak of their HS clothing line, but I once ordered from their store and had zero issues. Fast shipping and nice packaging. I'd say be a early-adopter and tell us about their gear. Maybe you'll start a new trend :-)

Does anyone know anything about this brand 7CCR and these slip on chukkas? I saw them in the back of a photo on the Tender co thread, and I dig the elf/jedi vibe.

https://diaries-shop.com/7ccr-7corpuscumreverso-model7170-belt-chukka-vacchetta-natural

http://store.silver-and-gold.com/?pid=114577157

Both stores seem to have them out of stock, and need to be contacted for pricing so that probably means I can't afford them lol

All - who makes a nice M-65 jacket? Looking for quality of materials & construction above absolute repro accuracy...  Thank you!

Perhaps Alpha Industries if you don't want to go Buzz or RMC? 

@elevenwolvesclothing makes a nice M-65 jacket, to get one you'd have to DM him on instagram as he hasn't released them yet

Tried to search but no luck. 

What do some members consider "must read threads?"

I read the entire "denim blunders" thread (which I feel any new member should read in its entirety), I read most of my favorite brand threads and enjoyed that. 

Any recommendations for some good reads? New or old. Thanks.