supertalk6
minya

SUPERDENIM SMALL QUESTIONS THREAD (Use instead of making new threads)

Hi everyone,

What are the cuts from Stevenson Overall like? Mainly looking at 727, 737, 747 and 767. Looking into something not too slim or tapered. I wear jeans mainly with workwear inspired outfits or just t-shirt and boots.

The cuts I've owned (727, 747, 767) have all been a bit weird for their own reasons. 727 is very slim; my thighs outgrew them which has never happened on any other pair of jeans I've had, besides maybe my jeans from baby gap. 767 was very loose in the seat for me, sometimes that's okay but for some reason it looked quite bad on this pair. 747 was great except the rise felt like it should have been higher for the rest of the cut. I've never owned a pair of 737 but it seems like the best/most well-rounded straight cut out of all of those, judging by measurements... that'd be my recommendation.

46 minutes ago, Maynard Friedman said:

Surprisingly those 747s never really took off...

Strangers in the night

Why is no one talking about the 340 Calistoga when SOC is mentioned? They were high on my want list for some time, I thought they'd be a great slim straight pair.

^Tbh for me, as great as that cut looks, i wouldn't get it because it's only been released since SOC's rebrand, which really made them fall off the radar for me. Prior to 2016 or whenever the change happened, SOC's detailing was amazing—the old patches were *so* cool, their greencast denim was totally in a class of its own, and the back pocket design was distinctive enough to set it apart from other brands imo. On the other hand, the new pocket stitching and belt loops look sort of contrived, not to mention that their new denim looks way more irregular and less vintage-y than the lovely denim the old models came with.

Anyone have any suggestions for nice, heavy hooded sweatshirts that aren't like $300?  

3sixteen hoodie are great, don't own one but have handled. JMC are nicer but priceier

23 hours ago, chicote said:

The cuts I've owned (727, 747, 767) have all been a bit weird for their own reasons. 727 is very slim; my thighs outgrew them which has never happened on any other pair of jeans I've had, besides maybe my jeans from baby gap. 767 was very loose in the seat for me, sometimes that's okay but for some reason it looked quite bad on this pair. 747 was great except the rise felt like it should have been higher for the rest of the cut. I've never owned a pair of 737 but it seems like the best/most well-rounded straight cut out of all of those, judging by measurements... that'd be my recommendation.

did you think the rear pockets should have been slightly higher?  for some reason in every pic i see they remind me of some G-Star jeans where the pockets are way too low.

I want to like Stevenson but the listed measurements are never where I need them to be, mostly with the front rise.  

@garden gnomes in space Nah I thought the pockets were great! Probably my favourite back pockets ever actually, or maybe tied with tender -- so spacious without looking or feeling oversized or baggy. Check page 2 of the Stevenson thread, there's a pair of 767s there that show how the pockets stretch out... amazing. I wonder if the low-slung look might be due to how they were worn in photos you've seen--never thought or experienced that personally.

Hi @chicote and the rest,

Thanks a lot for a really meaningful answer. Looks like 727 is out of the picture.

I am looking for something not too tapered and maybe not too low in the rise. So maybe 767 or 737...

Sun Surf, but that's more for aloha stuff.

I could turn one of my chambray Rite Stuff shirts into a short sleeve if you like though. :P

Sun Surf, but that's more for aloha stuff.

I could turn one of my chambray Rite Stuff shirts into a short sleeve if you like though. :P

I have the IHSH-174-IND and I really like it. It was a bit too warm for the heat of Summer, but it's OK now. I added MOP buttons and it really works well on this shirt. I also have the Samurai SBD17 (like this one: http://www.e2nd.net/br-sj/sj-251-01-f/sj-sbd17-s01-ai.html) and it is a favorite. The fabric is light, with a crunchy feel, and a very 3D texture. I'm super excited to be wearing it over the next few years. WRT indigo, I regret not getting the patchwork PBJ shirt.

Most of my other ss shirts are madras, which I love. I have too many to count...

Can anyone tell me the differences between all these stitches? They are all "chainstitches" but look different (and it may just be me, but I think they produce different roping effects as well).

This one is done by Blue Owl using a Union 43200G. I love the look and the roping looks really nice in real life but I can't get over the width of the hem. According to Jay, .5 inch (with the stitch itself at 3/8 inch) is the tightest their union specials can handle.
IMG_2586.thumb.JPG.c2d6970d036111b0aa055cbfd7685133.JPG
Meanwhile, here is the chainstitch done by Railcar (also on a Union Special though their site doesn't seem to make mention of the kind). The picture may be too dim but the stitch is much tighter and is raised higher off the surface of the denim. In real life it almost looks like the kind of weave you would find on a rope. The picture doesn't quite capture what I'm trying to describe, see the comparison pic further down. An older pair I have that was also hemmed by Railcar never seemed to exhibit nice wavy, even roping. On the bright side their machines can hem to 3/8 of an inch.
fullsizeoutput_21.thumb.jpeg.2eaa04064e8e179105bf20a9a2911adf.jpeg

Here is the factory hem on a pair of Fullcount jeans. This kind of stitch is the most 'flat' looking of them all and seems to produce the best roping among my pairs. Denimio hems also look like this. This is my favorite of the ones I've displayed-- I like the flatness, the roping effect is strong, and the hem width is 3/8 of an inch. Unfortunately, it seems this option isn't attainable in the US since blue owl's hem is .5 inch and Railcar's is that thin 'rope-braided' looking stitch. Maybe someone can share their experience with a denim service based in the US.
fullsizeoutput_1f.thumb.jpeg.cd22e3e1e49f56703113ee64c4eb5fab.jpeg

Here is thin and high Railcar stitch next to the fat and flat Fullcount stitch
fullsizeoutput_27.thumb.jpeg.14a2eff2dc280683427dc4a35dafb627.jpeg

Here is the blue owl side by side with Railcar. Note the difference in hem width.
fullsizeoutput_25.thumb.jpeg.876c4301d15bb69d5ebae25ac86f81de.jpeg

Sorry for the bad quality pics. Any thoughts?

I don't sew, but it could be that each company listed uses different tuning (tension?) / needles on the same machine to produce different results.

Edited by Sensuki

Really informative! Thanks for the answer :)

Great answer re chainstitching but I can't help but wonder if the Fullcounts hem is a "faulty" they've decided to remake. Because I can't help but think that that they are just that particular about their details. 

Am I being stupid, or does Unionmade really charge $60 for international shipping?

Is there a thread on the Scandinavian brand SOSO Clothing and does anyone have any experience? Denimhound reviewed some of their custom jeans, and despite some of their denim options being China-made, the quality looks good and I'm about to pull the trigger on a pair with the 13.5oz greenline indigo. You can't beat the price or the custom options.

Any input appreciated. 

http://www.sosoclothing.se/

I'm not sure if there is a thread on Sufu but I've seen several posts about SoSo clothing over on reddit and there feedbacl was mixed. The quality was more so-so like they said.

Honest question, did the Denimhound ever put out a bad review?

I've never read a bad review there. T=I've read lukewarm and less than enthusiastic reviews, but never negative ones. I guess he understands the dynamics of his place in the denim food chain. But I like his reviews nonetheless. 

On 9/7/2017 at 6:03 PM, Frost said:

Am I being stupid, or does Unionmade really charge $60 for international shipping?

Nope, they do really charge that much!