SUPERDENIM SMALL QUESTIONS THREAD (Use instead of making new threads)

minya

If I were heading to Japan I'd have to check out some Toys McCoy iron clad boots - been on my bucket list for ages but customs charges would be extortionate.

I had half a thought about proxy, but not sure how you would be able to get away with undervaluing boots. I'm gonna wait until I'm in Tokyo in March and hopefully be able to try a pair

• 2 weeks later...

Where is the best place in the US to ship my Samurai jeans off to get a small dick hole fixed?

I've only heard of Self Edge.

Cheers 

I would like to second Indigo Proof. It might seem a little pricey, but I promise it'll be worth it. Have a look at the Strike Gold thread to see my recent repairs.

This may be a silly question but does anyone have any experience with using a fabric steamer on heavy denim (Samurai 710 if matters).  I'm getting some awkward bunching above the cuff of my jeans around the shin area and I'm wondering if steam will maybe smooth that out. That area seems more rigid than any other part of the jean, I imagine because there's less wear and no bending/pulling in that area.  If anyone can offer any suggestions, I would greatly appreciate it.  Hope I explained that in a way that makes sense.

Edited by VivaMarlon

This may be a silly question but does anyone have any experience with using a fabric steamer on heavy denim (Samurai 710 if matters).  I'm getting some awkward bunching above the cuff of my jeans around the shin area 

Without seeing it, I'm willing to bet the inseam is too long and the excess fabric is bunching up.  Recuff them to a shorter length and see if that fixes it.  

Without seeing it, I'm willing to bet the inseam is too long and the excess fabric is bunching up.  Recuff them to a shorter length and see if that fixes it.

This is what I was thinking. The cuff my feel a little high at first but will settle as that bunching falls out.

Hello,

I'm thinking of purchasing a pair of the contest Samurais from denimio. But am unsure if I should choose a size 32 or 33? and will Sam's stretch up to an inch in the waist?

https://www.denimio.com/sizechart/index/chart/id/18483/

Here are some jeans that fit me well:

Pure Blue Japan Size 32:

Waist: 16.5 inches

In-seam: 36.5 inches – I cuff them still a bit long.

Front Rise: 10 inches

Rear Rise: 14.5 inches

Thigh: 11.5 inches

Knee: 7.75 (12 inches down inseam)

Calves: 7.5 (18 inches down inseam)

Leg Opening: 7.5 inches

Iron Heart 8301s SBG Size 31:

Waist: 16.35

In-seam: 37.5

Front Rise: 10.35

Rear Rise: 14.5

Thigh: 11.35

Knee: 7.9 inches

Calves 7.6 inches

Leg Opening: 7.0 at opening 7.25 at cuff

By that do you mean a bigger/wider cuff? I don't think that's the issue cause they're already cuffed relatively high. They're basically at my ankles, don't touch my feet/shoes when I wear low top Vans for example.  I'll try and take a picture of it to explain.

The taper may be too aggressive.

This seems more likely, even though I wouldn't necessarily say it's an aggressive taper.

Not so much about baby-ing my jeans, just kinda don't like how it looks.

This is what I mean, I know it's an odd thing to care about, but it makes for an awkward fit.

qdYcO8q.jpg

D9zHPca.jpg

Edited by VivaMarlon

that happens on all my pairs that are cuffed even once—i imagine it is the taper doing it as the hem is both the strongest and narrowest part of the lower leg. when you bring it up above a part of the leg that's wider it has to fold in on itself. kinda like putting a tight collar on a bulldog.. all that skin's gotta go somewhere.

Eng-bulldog-dog-collar-with-plates-33bro

Yeah, unless you hem them you'll have to live with that type of bunching up. I do the same "chainstitch show cuff" on two of my pairs, the folds aren't that bad on straight jeans but with a taper it will end up more pronounced like that, like chicote says, the fabric has to go somewhere.

By that do you mean a bigger/wider cuff? I don't think that's the issue cause they're already cuffed relatively high. They're basically at my ankles, don't touch my feet/shoes when I wear low top Vans for example.  I'll try and take a picture of it to explain.

This seems more likely, even though I wouldn't necessarily say it's an aggressive taper.

Not so much about baby-ing my jeans, just kinda don't like how it looks.

This is what I mean, I know it's an odd thing to care about, but it makes for an awkward fit.

qdYcO8q.jpg

D9zHPca.jpg

Ok, now I see what the issue is.  To answer your initial question, no, a steamer won't fix that.  To lessen that pleating/pinching, you need a narrower cuff.  How many of inches of inseam are in that cuff?  Four, five?  You maybe could lessen things by rolling it into a standard triple cuff, but odds are you need to lop about three inches of inseam off those things and go with a regular single or double cuff.  If you want that exposed hem double cuff, you really need a straighter leg jean.     

Thanks for all the help guys! I guess I sort of knew that was issue, just want to figure out a way to maybe relax the fabric so it isn't so pronounced. Like I said, it doesn't get much wear in the area since there's not pulling/bending in the shin. Hope it kinda just goes away with more wear but otherwise sounds like that's just how it's gonna be. Thanks again!

Hope it kinda just goes away with more wear but otherwise sounds like that's just how it's gonna be. Thanks again!

Won't go away and will probably start wearing along the edge of the pinched area.  Don't know if that will bother you or not, but want you to have a heads up.  

Personally, I think any jean as tapered at the 710 should be hemmed, and worn with minimal staking and no cuff.  Kinda defeats the purpose of a tapered jean to have the leg narrow down to a bunch of cuff or stack at the ankle.       

Thanks for all the help guys! I guess I sort of knew that was issue, just want to figure out a way to maybe relax the fabric so it isn't so pronounced. Like I said, it doesn't get much wear in the area since there's not pulling/bending in the shin. Hope it kinda just goes away with more wear but otherwise sounds like that's just how it's gonna be. Thanks again!

It will start to wear along the edges of the crease, happens on almost all of the pairs. 

Example (not pants, but same concept): 

DSCF2580.jpg personally, I like it but to each their own.

Have a look down the first page: TCB is a stalwart contender for SuFu favorite this year--a bunch of regular posters have just finished a spectacular contest with the "50s" model, and are in the process of setting up a world tour; Ooe Yofukuten is another well-liked recent brand that seems to have created a universally flattering cut in the "02"; I personally have been rather fond of Tender, although it's a far cry from the repro aesthetics of the former two brands. Have a look through those--I'm sure you'll find something you like!

TCB jeans

Hi folks!
Haven't bought any new jeans for a couple of years now. Any new brands that have popped up recently that's SuFu approved and worth looking into?

TCB has my vote.  sheer quality pieces, minimal branding and lover of cats!!!!!!!! 

Thanks for the recommendations, I will look into them carefully.

Nice to see you're still around MF!

It's been a couple of years, but so many new things to catch up on!

Most people over at denimbros?

• superfuture unpinned, featured, unfeatured and pinned this topic