minya

SUPERDENIM SMALL QUESTIONS THREAD (Use instead of making new threads)

A friend of mine served in the USN in the early 60s. He has nothing but bad things to say about pea coats and the level of warmth they provide.  I know they are classic fashion, but I don't think I'd ever invest in one for serious winter wear.

This makes complete sense. Even when buttoned up a fair bit of chest is exposed right?

Eastman make some pretty sweet sheepskin Air Force repros.

I have a Schott peacoat with the quilted (nylon) lining. It's incredibly warm and buttons to the neck to ensure no chest is exposed. It is wind and water resistant as far as I can tell. I've had it for about 8 years and had another one prior to that. I will need to replace it at some stage as it's getting a little worn. I tried on a RMC but the fit was wrong for me so I may try on a BR. My only concern with these is that they both have a rayon lining, which I don't think will offer the same warmth as a quilted one. The other option is an Iron Heart model, which has quilted lining plus storm cuffs. If not, I may just get another Schott for half the price!

I've always liked the look of the Schott pea coat and wondered how they compare to the IH,RMC, BR versions. I think you've answer my question Maynard!

Other than the schott I've only handled the IH, it's a serious piece of kit.

I have a Edwin peacoat, well it's a bastardized version of a peacoat as it has a shawl collar rather than the original collar. as the Schott it has a quilted nylon lining. it's super toasty, when it's cold I just wear it layered with a denim jacket and a thin wool jumper and works great.

Thanks for the input guys, quite an interesting discussion whether the pea coat does it job or not. 

I have a Schott peacoat with the quilted (nylon) lining. 

That makes a big difference I'm sure.  The vintage reproductions just have a rayon lining for easy on and off, but does nothing to help retain body heat.  Without some sort of bulky wool sweater on underneath, I wouldn't expect much out of the Buzz or RMC pea coats below freezing.      

Looking for a wabash vest, any suggestions?

From the top of my head you can choose from brands like Sugar Cane, The Flat Head and Freewheelers. If The Flat Head uses the same fabric on their vest as on my shirt you'll love it.

What are some great Made in Japan brands that do suits? Doesn't have to be limited to any particular style of suit (I don't want to buy one). I only know of Haversack, there have to be some other gems?

Yeah sure seems like it. Saw a real good looking pair of their 50's cut the other day too. Too bad nobody on Sufu is beating up a pair.

Frost, Freewheelers make suits but sell them as separates.

Genco Clothing website has a huge range to check out.

OK, a recent convert to raw selvedge and been watching quietly in the background here of recent.

I have a question... Why do so many online sites not provide measurements for their jeans? It is incredibly frustrating and has stopped me numerous times from making purchases. Is it a clique snobby thing where people in the know should just know how different denims fit? Doesn't make much sense then, when dealing with new brands trying to break on the scene... Anyway, needed to vent as it's been driving me farking nutz. 

What sites are you going to that don't provide measurements? I can only think of a couple places that I buy stuff that don't.

Where are you based, we could point you in the direction of reputable sites with decent measurement charts? Oh and what denim you looking for?

The possibility of getting customs on the ooes scares my alot. I've already started to save money for that haha!

What sites are you going to that don't provide measurements? I can only think of a couple places that I buy stuff that don't.

Thanks Pudaspriest. Recently, it was with Feltraiger and Levi's. I also have the same lack of sizing issue on the Cultizm page (and model clarification for that matter).

Where are you based, we could point you in the direction of reputable sites with decent measurement charts? Oh and what denim you looking for?

Thanks Geeman. I know there are plenty of good online stores and brands out there that are more than helpful. I just wish they were all that way. I'm still finding my own style and size. I've been wearing my first raw selvedge, (Edwin 55 11.5oz white selvedge unwashed) for the past 5 months. I live in Hong Kong so wanted a lighter weight to get through the summer humidity over here as my first raw experience.

I have traditionally gone for a regular fit with more room in the seat, but still some taper in the leg (ed-55 fit this bill well). Though, now I'm starting to look more towards the slim tapers. I have bought quite a number of different jeans in the past 6 months to get a gauge on sizing and fit. So, now when I see measurements I have a better idea of how they will sit on me (well, at least before they stretch out).

Has anybody had any experience with Feltraiger jeans? Opinions? Feedback?

http://www.feltraiger.com/

How about Dumluck?

http://www.dumluck.nl

Was just curious. I quite like digging around and finding some of those smaller, lesser known brands.

Thanks Pudaspriest. Recently, it was with Feltraiger and Levi's. I also have the same lack of sizing issue on the Cultizm page (and model clarification for that matter).

If you're after LVC, your safest bet is to contact a Levis store.  They've always been helpful measuring what ever size/model I've been interested in.  A store like cultizm should have the measurements on their site, but they will measure jeans when asked. 

I'm on the hunt for cinch back jeans, denim and ducks.

SO far the brands I've found that do them are:

LVC

Sugar Cane

Red Cloud.

Can anybody help with any others?

There are loads out there, though maybe not in their current line-ups. 

Warehouse have cinchback on both the 700 and 1004.

Wanted Fullcounts 1922 model myself for quite some time.

Studio D'Artisan also have made cinchback models, Denime, Evisu and Indigofera too.

The word is TCB is making a 30's cut aswell.

Plus:

- Lee

- Samurai

Mister Freedom and Roy have both produced cinchback models in the past too.

pherrows lot 500SW

5B75E125-D426-44FE-9BD2-FF8847333DAD.png

great fit I think.

warehouse 700 is discontinued as far as I know.

Ill get the TCB for sure. thing with chinch backs is that the rise is usually very vey high. to high for my built (= belly!).

TCB will not be super high waist, about the same as the 50's (under 12 inches front rise which is my max limit).

let me ask again!

he said to me that he wanted to make a 30's chinch back from quite some time but still had not found a original to measure. then later on he wrote me "please look forward to completion of TCB 30's in 2016" which made me think he finally found out an original to copy.

I'll ask him again and let you know.