SUPERDENIM SMALL QUESTIONS THREAD (Use instead of making new threads)

minya

Those look crazy, is all that damage real? 

I have a pair of samurai s0003jp that are way to long in the leg for me. I've given them two soaks in the bath as hot as the tap can run, first 1 hour and the second around four hours. I'm going to take them to a tailor but I want to know how much longer I should keep them to account for future shrinkage. 

I'd usually have the backs of the jeans sit on the floor when not wearing shoes after them hem. Is that going to be long enough? 

I was looking at my iron hearts and my roys tonight. Roy has more stitches per inch than usual, and supposedly "higher end" garments always have this as well. I'm wondering if that translates to greater strength in high tension areas etc, or really what's the point if not for durability. This might not apply to either Roy or IH because of poly core stitching, but just wondering if there's any insight into this. The only reason I started thinking about it is because iron heart and others often use thicker thread and there are less stitches/inch in the back yoke.

Edited by SuperJackle

Those look crazy, is all that damage real?

Well, some of the fading is from the factory washing (like I said: it's not raw denim), but other than that, yes, it is. The fabric apparently is / has become quite fragile, so I can't wear them for more than about two weeks before they need to be repaired again. (Hence my original question how to make the ageing proceed more slowly rather than quicker.)

To any owners of natural (read: natural cotton color, not natural indigo dye) selvedge denim out there, most natural selvedge seems to have a selvedge ID line that's a darker, contrasted color. In your experience, does soaking and washing in hot water cause the darker ID thread to bleed into the natural cotton?

e.g. I have a new pair of natural denim, the denim is from Cone Mills, with a dark red and blue ID line. Will the red and blue bleed out in a hot soak/wash?

Thanks in advance.

Hey Bobbo,

I guess that would all depend on how bad the bleed was! Since it's both dark blue and red, if it did bleed, I was expecting (at the worst) a lot of blotchiness on the outseam—like watercoloring-time outseams. If it was very minimal, and didn't bleed through to the point where you couldn't see anything on the outside part of the fabric that's actually visible, then I wouldn't care too much at all and just keep wearing them.

FYI, the hot soak is really just to shrink the waistband down a slight. It's not like the fabric needs any softening. No crunchiness here.

Thank you for the advice!

Sure I can post some pics - as you can see the invisible repair thing is not so important at this point:

Those jeans are bad-ass.  The fact they are not raw denim does not even matter anymore with this pair.  You have achieved a very cool pair right here. 

I'm in need of a pair of dress shoes/boots under $100. Being an educator, I go through a lot of leather shoes but I can't afford ones that are $200-$300!

I need some sharp looking shoes, it helps students take you more seriously!

I remember when you could get a pair of allen edmonds for around $100, sadly I think those days are over. Also, I don't want to buy used shoes...

Can someone help out a starving educator before I go out and buy a pair of Clark's Or ECCO shoes?  ;)

Edited by brainmonster

priere footwear from Indonesia fit nicely your bill. they look nice. I have a pair of their longwings and they look great. they're good for that money. Blake stitched rather Goodyear welt, they can be resoled easily. I think the leather is corrected grain but honestly it ages quite well, the more I wear them the better they look.

need to buy some proper leather care product for my boots.

I have Red Wings Iron Rangers 8111, a pair of Santalum in a waxy, oily pull off leather (similar to RW) and Tricker's. is there a good product that I can buy easily within the EU (better even in Italy)? I've been googling for Peckards, Obenauf and Venetian cream but can't find EU dealers, and doesn't make sense to pay US shipping for a can of boot cream...

Don't think there is a delete button mate (or I have yet to find it). There is an edit button though in the bottom right corner of your posts, next to the quote buttons.

Don't mind being first on the WAYWT-pages, we're not gonna throw rocks at you for hogging some limelight!

I'm hoping to get some reccommendations on a new pair of jawnz. I'm wearing Warehouse 800's right now, but would like to get a second pair to put into rotation.

I like the cut of the 800's pretty well, but would like something slightly slimmer. I'm aiming for a hem in the neighborhood of 7.75"-8". A slightly slimmer thigh wouldn't hurt, either.

In terms of weight, 14-16 oz would be perfect.

My natural waist is 34".

I was looking at Skull 5010xx, Dry Bones Red D, and the Oldblue Co./Chainstiches collaboration jeans. Any input on any of these? Anything else I should look into?

Thanks.

I'd look into the Stevenson 727 or 714, depending on how much room you'd like in the thighs. Stevenson makes the best jeans on the market right now in my opinion.

Self Edge's measurements:

727 raw measurements (size 34): 37-inch waist, 37.1 inseam, 12.6 thigh, 8.7 knee, 7.9 leg opening.

714 raw measurements (size 34): 37-inch waist, 37 inseam, 12.8 thigh, 9 knee, 7.6 leg opening.

I figure after washing and hemming the leg opening on either pair should be right in the range you're looking for. Hope this helps!

Hey Guys,

This a noob ? So please forgive if this has been asked a 1000 times before(which it probably has), but would like to know if there is a Thread or post that is definitive in terms of breaking-in jeans and trying to achieve epic fades.

I scrawled through the HWDC 2011/12 thread and saw what Joshlye achieved with his N&F jeans, and would like to see if I could replicate his success.  But just need some guidance/pointers on how to go about this.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks.

If I'm not mistaken Josh never washed his jeans until the end of the contest, but I could be wrong.

Any way, since "epic fades" is defined in different ways there's not definite way to go about it and therefore (probably) no thread about it. We all go about it in different ways. I guess if you find someone who have fades you like you could write them a PM and ask how they treat their denim.

But here's a crash course: It's not my cup of tea but if you're looking for more contrast in your fades, wash them more seldom; if you want less contrast, wash them more often.

Fitzrovia/Soho puts you in walking distance of Rivet and Hide (beautiful denim store), plus easy to get to Oxford Street leading to Carnaby street for Redwing/LVC and Evisu stores or RMC and Nigel Cabourn in the other direction. Stay east of London , aldgate etc for access to Spitalfields and Brick Lane for Albam and Son of a Stag.

I go to London fairly often and tend to always Base from Soho sides as R&H is my first stop and there's an abundance of places to eat and drink, East end is good but a little to hipster for me.

going to London in March with my family. What neighborhood should I call homebase to be near good denim shops and good espresso culture?

Check out citizen m bankside. good location and for central London, very reasonable accomodation.

Anyone know if any of the Japanese brands do flannels for women (or are small enough to fit someone who wears an x-small normally)? My wife has been lusting after my flannels for the last few years and she is getting annoyed she can't find anything comparable here in the states.

Gonna measure up a shirt of hers and check some sizing charts but would be helpful to know if anyone does women's shirting or at least which brands run the smallest. Thanks!

• superfuture unpinned, featured, unfeatured and pinned this topic