SUPERDENIM SMALL QUESTIONS THREAD (Use instead of making new threads)

minya

can anyone help please?

alright people, a question that has been bothering me in my search for new jeans..might seem a little dumb, but here it goes

how much difference in measurement in a part of a jeans actually makes a visual difference, or changes the feel and fit of the jean?

eg: in the waist a 10" measurement versus a 10.5" or in the leg opening, 6.5" versus 6.75" or even 7"?

I ask because I'm looking for skinny jeans, but the lengths are too long so I need to hem, the leg opening will be different since i'm looking at jeans that have taper...

thanks!

can anyone help please?

I'll try to answer your question.

Everything thing makes a difference. An inch or a half an inch here or there can change the look and feel of any jeans.

I suggest taking some safety pins and a pair of jeans you own. take measurements and mark any changes with the safety pin to get a feel for differences.

For example:

You have jeans with a 8" leg opening.

measure across that opening, fold and "pin" the jeans at 7.5"

Now put em on and see how they look/feel with a 7.5" leg opening

I use this just to get general ideas about fits

Tailors/ seamstresses can do this for you to if you are wanting to do alterations.

I don't know if others agree with this but I know you wanted an answer, so that's my opinion at least.

Yes I thank you I appreciate it, had to post twice... It sucks that I cannot try on jeans before buying online and I have to go strictly by on the paper measurements.

I would try this method, it's just that I am looking for a little looser fit than what I have now. Can't add on measurements like I can lessen it using your method.

Would you guys say .25" - .5" matters? I'm concerned about the thigh and leg opening. The jeans I'm looking at would be ~.5" bigger than my current in the thighs. Leg opening might be .25" bigger also.

As detailed here (http://supertalk.superfuture.com/index.php?/topic/47647-samurai-jeans/page__st__17070#entry2785535) it's been a while since I last got a pair of jeans. Started putting on muscle again, recently and the jeans that I did have, no longer fit me at all, again. To be honest, I've been out of the whole dry jeans malarkey for so long, I'm pretty much green again.

Currently measure at about 6'00", 188lbs, 33" natural waist, 36" lower-waist/upper-hips (where I'd wear my jeans), ~26.75" upper thighs, ~19" lower thighs. 15" calves, 33" inseam, 39-40" outseam.

Would love to get jeans that fit similarly to my old Samurai S5000VXs or the SExSuFuxDB09 collab jeans (click), so quite slim; if I was skinnier, I'd probably be looking at something like FH310, 3001s (at least below the knee), but I know I'm not going to fit into something like that with my current measurements.

I guess there's also the option of sizing up on something like the FH jeans I mentioned, but they're only a rough guide for the aesthetic I'd prefer, so I'm open to suggestions. Preferably with a button fly. Companies that still use the Levi's-esque acurate and red tabs would be another bonus. I was also looking at (and will probably get in the future anyway) some Samurai 0500XXs, and that's probably as relaxed as I'd like to go at this moment in time.

Any help or suggestions would be great. Not too rigid with what I'd prefer as long as they have a mid-rise, can accommodate larger thighs and probably a bit extra (though I could always size up) and be tapered slightly to give a slim/straight-slim fit. Weight of denim isn't a huge deal as long as I my skin can breathe. Cost-wise, something in the Samurai price range, so around £200 (~$300)ish.

can anyone help please?

Hmm... I measured the hem of my jeans, one is 0.60inches/1.5cm (not quite 0.5 inches, but close) smaller than the other and I looked at myself in the mirror and there's a big difference. Maybe it's cause I compared a skinny cut with a slim-fit lol. Still, I could see the difference, especially since my mirror is super flat unlike those vanity-ish mirrors you see in stores.

When shopping online, I think it's safer to buy something that's loose... cause you can always get them altered :D. I buy all my crap online since I'm in Canadia lolol.

Edited by IWishIWasADino

^ To my eye, a quarter of an inch difference hem mostly only matters online. On sufu we can see the difference because we have so many reference points, but in person it would be hard to tell.

A half inch difference can be seen more readily, imo, depending on footwear. A half inch is noticable over a pair of Chucks, but not so much over a pair of boots.

As far as the thigh, I wouldn't sweat up to .5" unless you wear a really small size.

I think this also applies more as sizes get larger. If you wear a size 29 then +/- .25" hem matters a lot more than if you wear a 38".

I do wear a small size :\

tagged 25 APC is an actual 27 waist.

The thing is the thigh area stretched a little. So do I want to buy new jeans snug and have them stretch, or buy them looser and hopefully it isn't too loose?

my APC stretched to a 10", the new jeans I'm considering is going to shrink after washing to a 10.5" Is that a big noticable difference being that I'm that skinny?

Good day gents... need help , im wearing 8.5uk for Red WIng..what ideal size for whites semi d or farmer ranch.many thanks in advance.

So i need some quick help guys. I have a pair of PBJ that are the perfect for me pre-soak/shrinkage, aside from the waist and inseam.

Will a cold soak solve my issues with the waist and inseam without shrinking the rest by too much?

hey sufu...just wondering what effect humidity has on raw denim? for example if your jeans were

worn somewhere with greater humidity like taiwan would it cause the denim to fade faster since you're

moving around in them while sweating more?

hey guys i just bought some new jeans. they're levi 511 blue flames. i was wondering if these will fade like raws will. and i also bought a size smaller than usual because they stretch. i bought them online so i couldnt try them on. i hope they fit. i cant return them =[

=if they dont

I was wondering how do you guys hang your jeans after a soak/wash/etc.. I hung my jeans by the hem after an initial soak. Did I ruin them?

I hang my jeans inside out on a clothing rack. I hang it from the thigh area, if that makes sense lol...

Air drying is pretty safe, I don't think it'll ruin your jeans.

get them hemmed to the right length and wear the right shoes/boots

i've always been wearing tapered jeans and slightly smaller leg opening jeans..

but i just got momotaro jeans.. and the leg opening is slightly bigger then what I'm use to.. still getting use to it..

i've been lurking on super future for years and learned a ton..but i'm still not able to purchase jeans that look good on me. so, really hoping someone can help. if i'm posting in the wrong place please let me know and i'll delete, or if this post is too beginners i can delete, too. thing is, i have genuinely been reading about denim for years but just can't seem to get a pair that looks good!

i'll post pics of two extremes on me - dior 19s (look way too slim/long on me) and LVC 55's (i think they look decent, my best attempt at jeans yet). i'm 5'7, 143 pounds..32 waist (LVCs measure 32 but seem saggy in the seat)

i was considering trying samurais or SCs (tried on 32 in 1947 sugarcane but seemed big) next (read through both threads), but LOST/overwhelemed as to the models to try. i live in the UK so not really any good stockists to try on my size in the brands mentioned or else i would go to a retail store!

anyways, what do you guys think would suit me - models/makes and the size i should try - totally open to suggestions! i can't afford to make any more denim mistakes just wanna get a pair right and wear them for years! i'm not into super slim denim or insanely baggy denim..just jeans that look comfortable.

pics attached any help much appreciated!

four pics

http://imgur.com/FfR...2J8,hvB26,9sc0s

EDIT: have tried flikr and imgur for pics, hoping imgur is working in above link

Edited by jsky808080

The '67 505's are nice too and much cheaper. Since they're sanforized, they're also hassle free...

Question: I'll be in Nevada and California for two weeks, want to check out some local denim/cowboy/work wear stores, any advice?

Edited by Stratos

I think your 55s fit you exactly like they should. If you like LVC and want something slimmer than your 55s, get a pair of 47s or 66s in the same size.

setterman..glad you think my 55s fit OK! i wasn't after something slimmer, just though the seat in my 55's a bit large. i would actually like something as wide or slightly wider and straighter in the leg as my lvc 55 and i love the rise in the lvc 55 as i wear them close to waist

i have tried the lvc 47 and 66, would consider buying 47 although i do like cuts slightly more straight..and the 55 was my favourite lvc cut. the only reason i'd stick to lvc over trying japanese brands is the lvc store in london makes it easy to try all the cuts.

i was considering buying some sugarcanes 47s or 55s. seems the SC 47 would be close to the lvc 55 but maybe not different enough? would SC 55 overwhelm my small frame or could it be alright?

any other recommendations on cuts or sizes or brands? samurais look so cool but i'm overwhelmed by all the different cuts.

my lvc 55s are a tagged a 32x34 and the waist measures out to 32 after 8 months on/off wear and a few hot soaks . my waist measures at 31-32ish depending how tight i pull the tape..

do you guys think i could get the SCs close enough to look OK without trying on? if so how would you size the raws verus one wash.

posts way too long sorry...i will post progression pics etc though once i decide on a model..altough you may have enough on here already!

Edited by jsky808080

• superfuture unpinned, featured, unfeatured and pinned this topic