SUPERDENIM SMALL QUESTIONS THREAD (Use instead of making new threads)

minya

So Ryan Gosling wears a henley in Drive, if anyone's seen it, like this.

http://gq-1439068080.eu-west-1.elb.amazonaws.com/entertainment/articles/2011-09/15/gq-film-drive-ryan-gosling-style-fashion-costume-design/henley

They're saying it's a 30's deadstock army/navy henley. Aside from scouring surplus shops, anyone have an idea where to find something similar? Especially the long arms/cuffs.

Well, the 301s are 21 oz. If you want to stay with the brand (great quality denim), then I would recommend a pair of 666s. They aren't as tapered (yeah they are slim), but not nearly as tapered as the 301s. Otherwise I would say the BB raw since that is the only other 18oz pair that is somewhat slim.

If you are looking for something light weight personally I would go with PBJ xx-007s, or a pair of Flat Heads.

hey thx alot man, definitely giving this pair some thought.

http://www.whatgoesaroundnyc.com/shop/lvc/11162-lv201190.html

?

Nice, but a bit pricey for one shirt.

Actually meant this one I think they called it the milk henley.

Yeah expensive but you are paying for a vision there so consider that factor.

6160521649_3995774380_z.jpg

Also Tender makes neat stuff too and has a woad-dyed one at Unionmade probably Superdenim too.

http://www.unionmadegoods.com/tender_Type_351_Hand_Dyed_Woad_Henley_1999.html

I know this is somewhat of a vague question but does anyone have any suggestions on a more "dressier" looking denim? something like the helmut lang straight legs? I'd go for those but kinda hard to find a pair...

anything plain, raw, and clean.

-no "odd" denim like sugar cane or hank-dyed or overdyed

-hemmed to the right length, a la dress pants (no cuffing or stacking)

-medium rise, slim but not skinny

-plain back pockets

basically, the same things you'd want in a chino or dress pant, but applied to denim.

edit: basically, what stratos said

I know this is somewhat of a vague question but does anyone have any suggestions on a more "dressier" looking denim? something like the helmut lang straight legs? I'd go for those but kinda hard to find a pair...

Edwin sen black skinny raw. trust me.

how do people deal with low rise jeans? whenever i bend down/sit down in my skull zeroes the back rise lowers itself and it gets kind of annoying and uncomfortable, how would i fix this problem?

There's no getting around it, buy jeans with a higher rise! I know the lower styles are fashionable, but I see very few people who're able to wear it well.

It's disappointing that so many of the Japanese brands have a rise that could be considered medium at best (most are what I'd call low). For brands like PBJ, SDA, Samurai, FH, IH, etc. to get enough rise to be comfortable with I'd wind up with a pair of jeans way too big in the waist, thigh and seat. I'm pretty much limited to LVC, Warehouse, and Sugar Cane.

or the Denime XX..also rather high in my eyes (so is the Samurai 510 cut and 3000)

I guess it comes down to personal preference but in my sizing (36, 38, or 40 depending on how they're cut and tagged), a rise that's starts at 13+" is what I'd consider a medium to high rise. Not familiar with the Samurai 510, so I looked it up on BiG's website. The natural indigo model they have there is a higher rise.

After your great pix of the new XX I had to go check them out on Blue Owl's website. I don't know if they measure rise differently than BiG and SE, but I was disappointed to see that they only went to size 36 and the rise on that model is 11" raw. I could maybe get away with starting at a 38" waist, but never a rise that low. Thing is now that I go back and look at the XX sizing, according to BO the size 29 only has a half inch less rise than the size 36? That doesn't make any sense. Comparing the similarly shaped Warehouse 1001XX, there's 1 1/2" difference in rise between the size 29 and 38. I wonder if BO measured wrong, or Denime blew the cut on the bigger sizes?

Blue Owl doesn't sell the pair of Denime I have.

They sell the "New XX" which uses a modernized '47 cut (slimmer and lower rise). I bought the classical XX-type from Denime which is built after early '50s cut.

So you can totally forget BlueOwl for the Denime XX type and the other pairs are nothing you would like ;)

For me, around 12" is already a higher rise.

Setterman,

SDA 101 has a 12.25" front rise raw (according to BiG) in a 38" waste and 11.5" in one-wash. I'm not sure that's correct as my size 32 pair has been hot washed and measures 11.25" in the front rise, so I think you'd be looking at around 11.75" for a 38.

They are great jeans with a loose cut and don't cost silly money - well worth looking into imho.

Setterman,

SDA 101 has a 12.25" front rise raw (according to BiG) in a 38" waste and 11.5" in one-wash. I'm not sure that's correct as my size 32 pair has been hot washed and measures 11.25" in the front rise, so I think you'd be looking at around 11.75" for a 38.

They are great jeans with a loose cut and don't cost silly money - well worth looking into imho.

Would love to get a pair of the 101s, but the rise just isn't enough. I'd have to go back and check my LVC 66s, but I think their front rise once completely shrunk is 12.5". That's really as low as I'd like to go. From my experience with flight jackets made by some of the Japanese brands, they have proportion issues when they get above a size 44. Wouldn't be surprised if the same applies to some of the jeans manufactures when they get above a size 36.

BF, didn't realize your new Denime were the old stock XX. Thanks for the clarification, and nice find!

BF, didn't realize your new Denime were the old stock XX. Thanks for the clarification, and nice find!

No no...now old stock (at least not that pair) but the XX-type from the new owner, which should be the same as the Shins one. I know, a bit confusing..but that's why I posted that much about it ;)

• superfuture unpinned, featured, unfeatured and pinned this topic