SUPERDENIM SMALL QUESTIONS THREAD (Use instead of making new threads)

minya

22 minutes ago, tooth said:

@81FXR I’d check out Merz B. Schwanen. They offer quite a few different cuts and weights of fabric. I have 8 or so Warehouse tees, and the Merz I have are most definitely on par from a quality standpoint.

Nice, thanks. I have a couple of their heavyweight Henleys and they're great, haven't every checked out their tees though.

Merz B. Tees are not anywhere close to WH. 
polyester threads vs 100% cotton 

Merz B. Cotton pilling is very annoying. Looks crappy after just a few washes. (Standards 50s tee)

when I take my tees off I tend to pull more on one side than the other. Most people probably do the same. I found this out by looking at my Merz b. Shirt. It’s 5cm longer on the side I pull more on.
Does not shrink back like other loopwheeled shirts. 

one shirt came with two heavy heavy crease lines right in front. I told customer service and they ignored me. Said It’ll go away after a few washes. A year on the lines are still there and customer service doesn’t give a f*KC after having made a sale. 

construction is on par with H&M or Uniqlo maybe. Nothing special. Strong plastic threads. Unimpressive fabric that distorts and doesn’t shrink back…
the plastic threads are enough to keep me away from Merz 

but they do have a good story  I give them that. Like moleskin and their hemmingway BS story  

Edited by vlad_III

Merz b. Schwanen gets a lot of hype on YouTube from reviewers who haven’t actually worn the tees. 
and I’m saying that as a German…

Edited by vlad_III

2 minutes ago, Geeman said:

I'm not a fan of Merz either. Bought 2 separately,  both returned with quality issues,  both with poor CS. 

I use my two Merz tees for yard work and the gym. 

I have several Merz and I am very happy with them. Except for one that fitted way bigger than it should and never really shrank.

Like them better than my RMC t-shirts.

From all those 'fancy' t-shirts I guess I really like the Sure Mfg. ones that TCB used

Edited by beautiful_FrEaK

Merz B Schwanen elicit very conflicting views on here, which must be a bit confusing for those who have no experience of them,  so I'll just add that I can back up both sides. I've had five of their 50s T shirts: one of them (grey) is pilled all to hell and stretched laterally to the point of being unwearable, another (army green) is about thre inches longer on one side than the other; the other three (white,  black and ink blue) are some of my favourite T-shirts, and have survived countless washes and wears over several years. 

On 5/25/2023 at 10:03 AM, 81FXR said:

Nice, thanks. I have a couple of their heavyweight Henleys and they're great, haven't every checked out their tees though.

I am a big fan of their 2-thread tshirts (models numbers that start with "2"). The 214 models which are more relaxed cut are my favorite. The 215 classic fit models got a fit update a couple years ago and fit way better than before. It's still a tad slim for me but sizing up works if I cant find the same fabric/color in the 214. I have a ton of tshirts from a bunch of brands but basically live in merz, warehouse and flat head tshirts. 

On 5/29/2023 at 8:51 AM, Hopethisoneisnttaken said:

to the issue at hand (hehe) - are you asking for narrower arm holed t shirts or something like a ribbed arm hole(like Merz do on their Henleys)?

Yeah just a narrower arm hole. I love the fit of the body, and to be honest there’s nothing really wrong with the arm holes on the 4601. It might be just that I’m an XL in the body, and an L in the arm.

I’ll take some pics tomorrow of what I mean, comparing the 4601 on me and then a different tee.

On 5/30/2023 at 5:25 PM, FurnitureMaker said:

Who makes a quality sock at a good price?

I tried a ton of different socks. Once I found Darn Tough socks, that's it. They are so awesome. Worth every penny.

Edited by buler

14 minutes ago, buler said:

I tried a ton of different socks. Once I found Darn Tough socks, that's it. They are so awesome. Worth every penny.

They don't hold a candle to Corrymoor Mohair socks IMO. Only prob is they're a little spendy and shipping is super slow from UK - they use royal mail and don't give discounts for multiple pairs. But I'm going on my 5th year of regular rotation of my first pairs. The companion sock is the best thing I've found for basically any weather below 65F - and all throughout the winter - after that I'm often barefoot in my birds or just use regular cotton socks. 

1 hour ago, buler said:

100% with this. Of the socks I've tried, these are hands down the best. I have two boots pairs which are bulletproof and just bought two lightweight pairs - again great. 

1 hour ago, AlientoyWorkmachine said:

They don't hold a candle to Corrymoor Mohair socks IMO.

Have you owned any Darn Tough socks?  Saying they "don't hold a candle" seems a bit strong. I have over 20 pair of Darn Tough and have owned some for 8-10 years. No holes, no problems. They make everything from over the calf snowboarding socks to thin no shows. I wear them year round from 90+ to below zero weather. If someone asks for a sock recommendation, I have no hesitation to recommend them. GoBros.com routinely has them on 25% off sales if anyone is interested in trying them.

1 hour ago, buler said:

Have you owned any Darn Tough socks?  Saying they "don't hold a candle" seems a bit strong. I have over 20 pair of Darn Tough and have owned some for 8-10 years. No holes, no problems. They make everything from over the calf snowboarding socks to thin no shows. I wear them year round from 90+ to below zero weather. If someone asks for a sock recommendation, I have no hesitation to recommend them. GoBros.com routinely has them on 25% off sales if anyone is interested in trying them.

I have yeah, it's what I got before the corrymoor ones. the darn tough ones were the best I'd found, and for me now they're not even close. I run cold generally and the mohair wicks moisture a lot better (especially after the socks are worn in, in my experience the darn tough ones lose their magic in about a year - haven't hit that point in longer trials with the mohair ones). 

Mohair is def. my favorite sock material. I'd never heard of Corrymoor, and was very excited to read about them—but it's disappointing that they're only 68% wool. I expect that most socks have some synthetic component, as it seems to help a lot with longevity, but above around 15% it seems to cut into the feel, and the utility, a little too much for my liking. I still may try a pair or two, but I'm skeptical.

For now—and for the past ~5+ years—Tender Co. has been my every-day top choice. At this point I don't really wear anything else—they're the most consistent staple of my wardrobe. The mohair are my favorites, but the standard wool are also really great for when it's not too hot or too cold.

To the earlier discussion of tees:

I like the Merz 2-thread fabric a lot, and I like how their shirts fit me better than most of the Japanese alternatives. I've never had any major QC issues with them, either. That said, the way they construct their shirts—not to mention the polyester thread that they use, which really doesn't age gracefully at all—is pretty significantly unappealing, and I don't think they'll ever be my go-to.

My overall favorite tees are probably Tezomeya, but the sizing can be iffy. I have two pairs that fit me very well and two pairs that fit me less well. They make up for it (and then some) with the fabric and the dyes that they use. Otherwise, for standard white tees / graphic tees, Sure Mfg. and The Flat Head THC series (not sure if these are still available?) would probably be my go-tos.

Gustin, of all brands, used to make some tees that I think they called the "pigment-dyed organic tee shirts" or something along those lines. They're made from a really soft, light fabric that holds up great, and they're put together very well with 100% cotton stitching that takes the garment dye well and ages gracefully. They were also something like $10 each, when bought in packs. If I'd known how well they were gonna last me, I'd happily have paid five times that for them, as they don't seem to be available anymore, and they really stand up favorably to almost all of the much fancier, more expensive options that I've tried (besides maybe Tezo—but those fill a very different niche). I still have 4 or 5 in my regular rotation, in a variety of colors, and I think 3 stashed away somewhere for when these get too thin. Worn 2 all the way to rags.

21 hours ago, buler said:

I’m a huge fan of Darn Tough for the quality but also their rock solid guarantee. I also like Smartwool. The only brand I don’t get is Anonymousism. Quite possibly the worst brand ever. I had two pairs that I bought 8 yrs ago and those got holes in them within 6 months. For a Japanese brand their quality sucks

I like Anonymousism but you're right, the heels go pretty quickly. I don't mind darning them.

Edited by CSL

8 hours ago, julian-wolf said:

Mohair is def. my favorite sock material. I'd never heard of Corrymoor, and was very excited to read about them—but it's disappointing that they're only 68% wool. I expect that most socks have some synthetic component, as it seems to help a lot with longevity, but above around 15% it seems to cut into the feel, and the utility, a little too much for my liking. I still may try a pair or two, but I'm skeptical.

For now—and for the past ~5+ years—Tender Co. has been my every-day top choice. At this point I don't really wear anything else—they're the most consistent staple of my wardrobe. The mohair are my favorites, but the standard wool are also really great for when it's not too hot or too cold.

I can’t tell a difference between my corrymoor and tender mohair socks. So much so that I wonder if they source William with the socks. So yea, I love my Tender ones too. I just have one pair but they’re interchangeable w the other mohairs. 

I’ve never bought a pair if socks, certainly none of the lifestyle product types.. I have a drawer full of them, I tend to get a couple of pairs for xmas.

they’re not something I ever consider, i pull a pair on in the morning and never give them a second thought so I suppose they’ve succeeded in being socks.. if I could sense I was wearing them/discomfort I would have to reconsider but honestly, they’re just fine.

I certainly wouldn’t import them from abroad when they’re available on most high streets,  if your socks are constantly getting holes it’s probably down to ill fitting footwear...

I wear the same pair of cheap socks for cycling to work.. working on my feet all day in my workshop.. ride home and landscaping the garden till it goes dark, 14hr/day not once do I give them a second thought, I just don’t pamper myself in that regards. controversial maybe but  socks are socks.. I can think of better ways of squeezing enjoyment out of £20.:D 

Get yourself down to Marks & Sparks.. I’m pretty sure that’s where most of mine come from... 

the pair I’m wearing today Pikachu socks ( and yesterday too if truth be told :blush:) are only cheap market stall crap from when my kid was into Pokemon so maybe 7yrs ago are still free from holes.

• superfuture unpinned, featured, unfeatured and pinned this topic