SUPERDENIM SMALL QUESTIONS THREAD (Use instead of making new threads)

minya

Thanks for the reply.

You summed up my dilemma well.

I've been wearing and washing this pair heavily and really pleased with the how they've ended up. Nice vintage fade.

The rest of the jeans are still good just the knees are a week spot. Young children mean I'm on the floor all the time!

I'm inclined to at least get the knees repaired and concede that they can't be a daily anymore. But guess that will be best part of £100 once postage and all factored.

I don’t think a knee repair will be anything like £100, even including postage but I could be wrong. Soldier Blue in London (Aldgate/Spitalfields area) is supposed to be pretty good and they use darning machines rather than patching.

I agree with Double 0 about knee repairs - they drape badly and imho look ugly. I’ve worn out plenty of knees in jeans but fortunately my kids are a bit older so that’s not such an occupational hazard for me these days. All my pairs require crotch repairs at some stage though, which easily doubles their longevity and I find taking them to a good local tailor/repairer and explaining exactly what I want is the best cost effective repair.

5 hours ago, AlientoyWorkmachine said:

Thanks - those look nice. I ended up with a Bleu de Chauffe bag - I like it a lot. Certainly an upgrade from the 25 y.o. poly sport bag that was tearing at the seams I've had. 

I actually don’t own an Ortleib, but plan on buying a 40L duffel when I get the chance. Love that they have backpack straps built in, are waterproof and can hold a lot. My current duffels are a Gustin waxed canvas I bought yrs ago and a Filson canvas duffel I got on clearance. The Filson I use for my son’s basketball gear. The Gustin is my bug out bag

Does anyone know if there is a difference in chainstiching between a Union Special 56300 and the more coveted 43200G?

A local shop of mine introduced a chain stitching service, which is obviously extremely convenient. However, they advertise that they use a 56300 machine (which looks more traditional). I had never seen a machine other than the really old looking 43200G ones. Can there even be such a thing as a “better” chain stitch that something else? Perhaps more prominent roping?

27 minutes ago, specialchild said:

Does anyone know if there is a difference in chainstiching between a Union Special 56300 and the more coveted 43200G?

A local shop of mine introduced a chain stitching service, which is obviously extremely convenient. However, they advertise that they use a 56300 machine (which looks more traditional). I had never seen a machine other than the really old looking 43200G ones. Can there even be such a thing as a “better” chain stitch that something else? Perhaps more prominent roping?

I can't speak to the differences in the machines but I've always thought that the roping had less to do with the machine than the technique of the person hemming - isn't it essentially the result of so called technique flaw where the stitched fabric is pulled askew - ie it doesn't line up straight with the pant leg it's stitched to? I was never too impressed with the roping on the Raleighs I used to wear even though the hemmed everything on the 43200 in their shop - and some lockstitched pants I've seen had better roping. I think the best is if you get the right machine and the right technique though - TCB seems to have that dialed from what I've seen. 

I believe the 43200G was designed for stitching bags but later used for chainstitch hems. It was discontinued apparently because it was a single purpose machine and its tasks could be accomplished by other multi-purpose models. I’d agree with @AlientoyWorkmachine that’s it’s the skill of the user that is key and not just the machine. I think some repair/hemming places use a Juki which can provide good results in the right hands.

I’m sure there are plenty on here who know more than I do and there are a few chainstitching threads on the forum if you search hard enough! Anyway, here are a couple of interesting links for the discussion:

56300 overview

Critique of the 43200g

Personally, if it was local I’d definitely give the 56300 a go.

Does anybody know where I might be able to get steel toe caps removed in the UK? I’ve contacted some of the Google hits for ‘Red Wing shoe repair UK’ and none of them have come back to me. Perhaps I should be looking at people that do real work shoe repairs (ie, shoes for folk that actually build railways rather than for cosplayers like me :).)

Cheers 

@unders As a first step I’d contact both Red Wing and probably someone like William Lennon in Derbyshire to ask if this type of repair/modification is even possible and if so, then ask them for recommendations. You may already have done this of course!

21 minutes ago, unders said:

Does anybody know where I might be able to get steel toe caps removed in the UK? I’ve contacted some of the Google hits for ‘Red Wing shoe repair UK’ and none of them have come back to me. Perhaps I should be looking at people that do real work shoe repairs (ie, shoes for folk that actually build railways rather than for cosplayers like me :).)

Cheers 

Yes, but did railroad workers turn to high end artisans to acquire and modify their footwear? ;)

Edited by Talan

On 1/13/2023 at 9:27 AM, unders said:

Cheers 

https://yorkshiresole.co.uk

Speak to Dean - nice guy 

Who makes a decent pair of thermal bottoms that don’t disintegrate? The issue I have is that every pair I buy the back of the calf area always wears through because of friction and I wind up with holes. Is this inevitable regardless of brand, or does someone out there make tough as nails thermal bottoms that are bomb proof?

I’m sure this has been asked & answered 3 dozen times, but who do folks like for resoling Northampton-style shoes? My Tricker’s (Goodyear) are overdue, and my Hoggs of Fife (veldtschoen) will be getting there some time in the next year or so

9 hours ago, julian-wolf said:

I’m sure this has been asked & answered 3 dozen times, but who do folks like for resoling Northampton-style shoes? My Tricker’s (Goodyear) are overdue, and my Hoggs of Fife (veldtschoen) will be getting there some time in the next year or so

This any use to you? https://www.stitchdown.com/cobblers/best-shoe-boot-cobblers/

Can someone help me find these jeans without the massive mark-up?

https://sonofastag.com/en-us/products/warehouse-1001xx-original-13-75oz-regular-straight-jean-raw?variant=44240399892784

As much as I love Son of a Stag - being based in the US makes it a little more expensive than I'm willing to go for.

Thanks!

15 hours ago, busterthehuman said:

https://sonofastag.com/en-us/products/warehouse-1001xx-original-13-75oz-regular-straight-jean-raw?variant=44240399892784

As much as I love Son of a Stag - being based in the US makes it a little more expensive than I'm willing to go for.

Thanks!

:laugh:  Soas prices are legendary!

Most peeps look around Soas and find what they want, get the sizing/product info they want and then shop around the web for the cheapest price. 

I've only ever used them for their hemming service.

16 hours ago, busterthehuman said:

Thanks!

Some of stores in Japan still have it in one or two sizes. Masuya, Celluloid, etc.

19 hours ago, beautiful_FrEaK said:

Assuming they'll shrink around 1" in the waist, I'm looking for a size 31! These ones seem to be the tapered version?

19 hours ago, Maynard Friedman said:

Not something you hear very often!

hahah they're lovely - I went into the shop last year and was recognized immediately and met with great conversations. Left with a Warehouse & Co sweat. 

18 hours ago, Dr_Heech said:

:laugh:  Soas prices are legendary!

Most peeps look around Soas and find what they want, get the sizing/product info they want and then shop around the web for the cheapest price. 

I've only ever used them for their hemming service.

I'm ashamed to say I do exactly the same - hahah.

18 hours ago, Talan said:

Some of stores in Japan still have it in one or two sizes. Masuya, Celluloid, etc.

Thank you! I'll check those out. 

• superfuture unpinned, featured, unfeatured and pinned this topic