SUPERDENIM SMALL QUESTIONS THREAD (Use instead of making new threads)

minya

• 2 weeks later...
18 hours ago, Cocoa_Lapin said:

High quality thick wool sweaters? I’ve a few Tender sweaters that I really like, wondering what’s more out there; the thicker the better. Was looking at something like this so far: 

https://www.aran.com/donegals-crew-neck-aran-sweater

All good suggestions but I just gotta say your instinct is in the right place - Tender's type 799 mirror sweater is the thickest thing I've ever owned and I love it. It's basically two sweaters. But you need an oversize coat if you're gonna layer because it is that thick. 

Been searching for a few for the coming winter myself @Cocoa_Lapin
From what I gathered: vintage is always a good option, scottish or irish made vintage ones can be found pretty cheap on the bay. Also Anderson & Co. looks good, great selection as well, can't comment on the quality though, have yet to try them. 
Heimat also gets good reviews, bit pricey, but will probably outlast you. 

Thanks everyone for the feedback, a lot of good stuff out there!

@AlientoyWorkmachine That one from Tender looks really great, thanks for bringing it to my attention, I honestly forgot that double thickness one existed. Certainly looks extremely heavy and warm.

@Thanks_M8 I like the Heimat quite a bit too; the “1 kg of wool” they claim to use does sound impressive, and the sweaters look thick, I might give one a try, we’ll see.  This winter I’ll be working outside a lot, and it can easily get to -20C where I’m at, so investing in a thick sweater or two seems like a wise idea.

Thicker wool doesn’t always mean warmer. The knit and the wool type can have a bigger impact. 

Plus layers are far more effective for insulation - two relatively thin wool jerseys worn over each other will normally be warmer than one thick one … and more flexible. 

Edited by Duke Mantee

Im all for layering. I’ve yet to find one single layer that will keep me super warm on low 30s F days. 
I tends to wear 4 layers usually for working outside in these freezing and snowy temps. 
This allows me to shed layers as needed. 

11 hours ago, Duke Mantee said:

Thicker wool doesn’t always mean warmer. The knit and the wool type can have a bigger impact. 

Plus layers are far more effective for insulation - two relatively thin wool jerseys worn over each other will normally be warmer than one thick one … and more flexible. 

I agree 100%. The base is necessary for the really cold days. 

I will also say that the warmest I ever feel is with that Tender sweater (because it's two sweaters) I mentioned layered over my merino base layer, haha. That said, I also do have a Peregrine cardigan which takes a solid second place. Michigan is no Arctic Circle but we have some good test days over here. 

Switching topics - I'm in the spot where I might want to proxy something from Japan which I am usually wont to avoid. I know there's one that advertises themselves on here but if anyone has any personal recs I'd love to hear them, DM if that's more advisable. Specifically there's something from Black Sign that I can't sort out how to get anywhere else. 

Strongly agree with Duke’s point re: material and weave. I have the mirror panel pullover, and it’s a long-time favorite, but despite its chunkiness it’s definitely not the warmest sweater I’ve worn, especially in any amount of wind.

23 minutes ago, julian-wolf said:

Strongly agree with Duke’s point re: material and weave. I have the mirror panel pullover, and it’s a long-time favorite, but despite its chunkiness it’s definitely not the warmest sweater I’ve worn, especially in any amount of wind.

I guess I should have noted this - as I think it's the case with most sweaters - but yes I'd agree, though I do find it less wind porous than the average sweater I've owned, and with the merino base I mentioned it's got to be fairly intense to be a problem (for me). But you probably don't want any sweater as the outermost in windy/rainy/inclement conditions. 

That said I'm curious what you find warmer as a single piece.  

I don’t have a great answer for you there, sadly. My warmest sweaters have been from relatives or thrift stores, with the tags (usually) long gone. I will say that adult wool has often seemed warmer than the lambswool used for the Tender pullover, and that a tighter plain knit (or double-backed knit) seems to hold in heat better than the sort of chunky raspberry knit, even with “only” one layer.

On the other end of things, my Pop Punch cardigan is always a lot warmer than I expect it to be.

Evening all, i am looking for sweater in short ' n boxy 40ies /50ies style,like the old Buzz or the LVC Hap Jones sweater from 1990ies for example ,i own two Strike gold sweater ,which i think they are fine in lenght, are there other brands ? I can find modern fitting cuts only.Thanks /Danke/merci!

Are we talking sweatshirts, Topnotcher?

I've been happy with Cushman. They make a few different styles. Two Moon are quite good too. I'd say both lean to the 'vintage fit' side of things.

Also worth mentioning, both are reasonably priced.

12 hours ago, CSL said:

Are we talking sweatshirts, Topnotcher?

I've been happy with Cushman. They make a few different styles. Two Moon are quite good too. I'd say both lean to the 'vintage fit' side of things.

Also worth mentioning, both are reasonably priced.

Thanks ,i had tried the cushman ,found it too tight on neck .Will take a look for the Two Moon !

• 3 weeks later...

from my experience.. these kinds of denim repairs are not cheap when they're done well but they're just prolonging the inevitable.. by the time you've factored in the cost of postage both ways you might as well use that money for a down payment on a new pair.. When the knees have been patched/darned the material never drapes the same, the cardboardy feeling  is uncomfortable..

If you can find somewhere local and save on the postage costs.. it might be worth considering but personally I would just devote a few hours of your time to repairing them.. you might get a few more months wear.. even if you pay for the repairs you mention.. you might still only get the same, when your jeans get to this stage more busted stitching will become apparent in the coming weeks/months... it's just throwing good money after bad.

Edited by Double 0 Soul

• superfuture unpinned, featured, unfeatured and pinned this topic