SUPERDENIM SMALL QUESTIONS THREAD (Use instead of making new threads)

minya

That’s interesting. I obviously don’t have any experience with jackets, but I’m used to seeing horsehide boots quoted at 8+ oz., which seems very thick. I guess that could just be the makers choosing unusually thick portions of hides in order to cater to the (pseudo?-)heavy-duty audience? But that seems like a bit of a stretch—who knows

The Flame Panda boots are black horsebutt from Shinki Hikaku, I think. The dye job is super thin, as if it was made to intentionally wear away and show something akin to patina as quickly as possible—the whole effect feels phony. The leather itself has very little give to it, and lots of tight creasing at flex points. Nothing against creases in leather, of course, but in this case it doesn’t end up being a great look.

Isn't it usually more expensive? Shell versions of common shoes more expensive than chromexcel for example. 

That alone will signal certain people to assume it's better and thus more desirable - when the higher cost may not (and often doesn't) have any correlation to quality. I bought a horsehide schott jacket years ago - wasn't a fan, returned it - the cowhide fit/draped much better and looked better too. But some people may like that shine. 

6 hours ago, julian-wolf said:

That’s interesting. I obviously don’t have any experience with jackets, but I’m used to seeing horsehide boots quoted at 8+ oz., which seems very thick. I guess that could just be the makers choosing unusually thick portions of hides in order to cater to the (pseudo?-)heavy-duty audience? But that seems like a bit of a stretch—who knows

The Flame Panda boots are black horsebutt from Shinki Hikaku, I think. The dye job is super thin, as if it was made to intentionally wear away and show something akin to patina as quickly as possible—the whole effect feels phony. The leather itself has very little give to it, and lots of tight creasing at flex points. Nothing against creases in leather, of course, but in this case it doesn’t end up being a great look.

Anything approaching 3mm thickness and over for boots is extremely heavy duty (I’ve got a pair of mountain boots at that thickness because they are designed to immobilise the foot to an extent), but tbh I don’t think I’ve seen horse in that thickness for footwear.

The quest for patina hasn’t done any favours for quality, that’s for sure. Denim that fades fast and leather that wrinkles (or ages) quickly seem to be the drivers.

3 hours ago, AlientoyWorkmachine said:

Isn't it usually more expensive? Shell versions of common shoes more expensive than chromexcel for example. 

That alone will signal certain people to assume it's better and thus more desirable - when the higher cost may not (and often doesn't) have any correlation to quality. I bought a horsehide schott jacket years ago - wasn't a fan, returned it - the cowhide fit/draped much better and looked better too. But some people may like that shine. 

Shell is expensive because it’s only a very very small part of the hide, but the rest isn’t that much more expensive and in fact can be considerably cheaper than some other leathers including cowhide.

14 hours ago, smoothsailor said:

Isn’t horse hide “period correct”

I think it started with wanting period correct jackets and boots. 

There might be some logic to that, but cowhide has always been used to make jackets, boots and other leather goods too

On 6/29/2022 at 5:33 AM, julian-wolf said:

I’m used to seeing horsehide boots quoted at 8+ oz., which seems very thick. I guess that could just be the makers choosing unusually thick portions of hides in order to cater to the (pseudo?-)heavy-duty audience? But that seems like a bit of a stretch—who knows

at 8+ oz it's not going to 

• 2 weeks later...

@busterthehuman I had two pairs of the RARE R008, and I really liked everything about them, but they had some of the worst construction and QC of any jeans I’ve tried

The margins are thin, there, obviously, and overall they were plenty nice—but, given that the whole ethos of the RARE line is meant to be based around overengineering and durability, relatively simple issues seemed much less forgivable that they may have from a different brand

I get the impression that they used to be very nice. Mine were from 2017 or 2018, I think, which seems to have been pretty recently after some or other changes were made to their production

On 7/14/2022 at 5:10 PM, julian-wolf said:

@busterthehuman I had two pairs of the RARE R008, and I really liked everything about them, but they had some of the worst construction and QC of any jeans I’ve tried

The margins are thin, there, obviously, and overall they were plenty nice—but, given that the whole ethos of the RARE line is meant to be based around overengineering and durability, relatively simple issues seemed much less forgivable that they may have from a different brand

I get the impression that they used to be very nice. Mine were from 2017 or 2018, I think, which seems to have been pretty recently after some or other changes were made to their production

Thanks for sharing. That's interesting to hear. I jumped on a pair of the World Workers overalls in an ecru color so I'll have to wear them a bit and let everyone know how they fair. From initial impressions they seem solidly constructed and the hard wear doesn't seem cheap, either.

• 3 weeks later...

Oi mate, I've heard some great and some shitty things.

Depends on what you are looking for. Great for yard-furniture and leftover tickets for local festivals, shitty for pets and flats :D Probably neutral for bikes and the likes.
I think Tilmann has more user experience with it.
From my knowledge it's more of a local-focused version of ebay, with the possibility for cash payment, direct contact to the seller and direct pick-ups.

24 minutes ago, Thanks_M8 said:

From my knowledge it's more of a local-focused version of ebay, with the possibility for cash payment, direct contact to the seller and direct pick-ups.

That was always my impression too.. like something akin to our Gumtree but some sellers offer domestic shipping on items while others do not.

edit- Martin beat me to it!

Can you pay via PP or is payment down to the sellers discretion?

"This private seller offers secure payment via eBay classifieds"

Edited by Double 0 Soul

1 hour ago, Double 0 Soul said:

Anyone have any experience with Ebay Kleinanzeigen... Tilmann? Matze?

Ive always avoided it because of the horrendous reviews and i don't think you can sign up with a UK phone number

Is there no ebay.co.uk/com style buyer protection?

edit- is there no seller feedback?

I've sold a lot there so there are reputable sellers ;)

But yes...there could be scams of course. Depending on how you pay but there is also a ebay option now. 

Feedback is also available. What do you need?

1 hour ago, Double 0 Soul said:

That was always my impression too.. like something akin to our Gumtree but some sellers offer domestic shipping on items while others do not.

edit- Martin beat me to it!

Can you pay via PP or is payment down to the sellers discretion?

"This private seller offers secure payment via eBay classifieds"

You agree with the seller or buyer on the payment option. PP, PP F&F, bank transfer, meet up with cash...

11 hours ago, beautiful_FrEaK said:

I've sold a lot there so there are reputable sellers ;)

But yes...there could be scams of course. Depending on how you pay but there is also a ebay option now. 

Feedback is also available. What do you need?

Thanks T, sorry about the late reply, i was just too sleepy to motivate myself last night.

I'm after some bike bits, they were listed just before we went on hols, i thought they would have sold by the time we got back but no so i thought i would ask expecting the response to be 'Avoid!'

.. I'm also looking for an excuse not to spend 400€ seeing as we have a non functioning government and an apathetic bank of england coupled with an economy envied only by Zimbabwe :rolleyes:

Sweet, Sweet capitalism!

Edited by Double 0 Soul

28 minutes ago, AlientoyWorkmachine said:

What do people here like for chinos/trousers? Looking for a navy pair. Repro details or fading potential not necessary, but something that would look good through a lot of wear would be good. Seems most brands just do khaki/olive.  

I really like my Norse Projects Lukas Heavy Trousers. I’ve got them in navy and khaki and I’ve got no complaints. Really well constructed and the fabric has a great weight. Wash and dry nicely as well.

thanks 00!

last time i used suto was in 2011? missed out on a samurai element type 1 thanks to their dillydallying (hollows got one i think, such a nice jacket). 

haven't been too active in the forum so don't wanna impose. will investigate tho, thanks for the idea. 

i thought tilmann had been too busy being a new dad! :D

On 6/12/2022 at 1:23 PM, Maynard Friedman said:

The last time I used zenmarket (a couple of months back) they no longer allowed me to mark down the value. It all now depends on which shipping method you use apparently, although the only available one, which did allow a markdown was surface transport.

I’ve just used Zen for the first time in ages and it’s back to normal, EMS is available and so is the option to mark down value. 

• 3 weeks later...

When people discuss expensive boots they often refer to them as handmade - but if the pattern is cut by a clicker press, the upper sewn by machine, the holes punched by a press, and the edge finishing done by machine etc … does hand sewing the upper to the sole count as a hand made boot?

3 hours ago, Duke Mantee said:

When people discuss expensive boots they often refer to them as handmade - but if the pattern is cut by a clicker press, the upper sewn by machine, the holes punched by a press, and the edge finishing done by machine etc … does hand sewing the upper to the sole count as a hand made boot?

Actually, only items that you have personally skinned from an animal qualify as handmade, I suppose... :ph34r:

• superfuture unpinned, featured, unfeatured and pinned this topic