SUPERDENIM SMALL QUESTIONS THREAD (Use instead of making new threads)

minya

There's more than that! but most can be had for peanuts on ebay, much cheaper than JP prices but i think Loose Grooves was on a JP record label hence their market was flooded with them and ours wasn't, it came out in 97 so they're not often seen over here.

I only got my dosh back from that wonky Brennan B2 yesterday, jeez-louise! they're a bunch of useless fucks, It took them 7 days and 18 emails before they even acknowledged they had recieved it back, even then i had to pester them to ruturn the shipping costs they promised me... it would have been comedy if i didn't have nearly £500 in their bank account.

2 hours ago, Double 0 Soul said:

Can i ask a little favour of the UK based sufu-crew..

I'm wanting a CD from Yahoo! they're readily available in JP and cost less than a £5'er but insanely expensive in the UK due to rareity, i'm not going to import a CD for goodness sake, i could add it to my next purchase.. only problem is, i haven't bought anything from JP for a while and have no plans to (my bike is almost built) so if any kind soul is using a proxy service at some point, would you mind giving me a hola and adding a CD to your order for me? Thx!

Proxy Co-Op :D

Putting it back on the new page…

Thanks Martin,

When my kid was born, I bought a sensible dad-wagon (Golf GTI) with, 4 doors, Isofix, leather seats for easy wipe down and such, the last time i saw some of these missing CD's was in that VW...i would have bagged evrything up when i sold it, gloves, window scraper, sunglasses and such and put it where?... who knows?!

Edited by Double 0 Soul

I haven't read any bad reports re- Buyee, i've never used them for the simple reason they ship at full value.. for folks based in the US this ain't an issue but it is for folks based in the UK. My preferred proxy Zenmarket doesn't work with Mercari.

There was talk a few years ago thet Mercari was going to expand operations and open offices/distribution warehouse in the US/Eu so you wouldn't need a JP shipping address to buy/sell.. not sure what happened there.. i stopped buying stuffs so stopped being interested.

4 hours ago, Double 0 Soul said:

I haven't read any bad reports re- Buyee, i've never used them for the simple reason they ship at full value.. for folks based in the US this ain't an issue but it is for folks based in the UK. My preferred proxy Zenmarket doesn't work with Mercari.

There was talk a few years ago thet Mercari was going to expand operations and open offices/distribution warehouse in the US/Eu so you wouldn't need a JP shipping address to buy/sell.. not sure what happened there.. i stopped buying stuffs so stopped being interested.

Zenmarket can mark down the value? 

The last time I used zenmarket (a couple of months back) they no longer allowed me to mark down the value. It all now depends on which shipping method you use apparently, although the only available one, which did allow a markdown was surface transport.

I’m certain people have answered this already but anyways….

is there still a way to search and buy from Yahoo Japan. I’m in the UK. Wasn’t sure if there’s a proxy website or something? 
thanks

Edited by UkeNo

I’ve used fromjapan and Neokyo - fromjapan was very quick but ended up paying import duty in the U.K, neokyo was painfully slow but there was no import charges. 

Well worth using with Freewheelers the U.K. stockist charges double the price they do in Japan. Stuff them. 

11 hours ago, beautiful_FrEaK said:

I think it's just "en vogue" right now. You see the same desire for horsehide on shoes/boots. I think it boils down to that.
Furthermore, I think the arguments are that horsehide is pretty strong

You might well be correct.

As for strength, it’s no stronger than cowhide (save for arguments re part of the hide and tanning methods). Neither is it the most exclusive nor most expensive … by far, the biggest factor for cost is normally the length of tanning process.

Most comments seem to be centred around the appearance and/or grain although, frankly put, that has nothing much to do with quality of leather but reflects more on the tanning and the currier (and it might argued if a tannery is investing in a good currier then arguably you’re already getting good leather).

I’m just intrigued as to why horse hide seems to have such cachet.

Edited by Duke Mantee

I suspect folks are just interested in it ‘cause of its tendency to be split very heavy / thick—it’s probably the same audience as is interested in 20+ oz. denim jeans and 2.5”-wide belts

(I admit: I jumped on the bandwagon with my Flame Panda boots, and they’re some of my least favorite boots overall, largely because of how uninteresting the horsehide really is once you start to wear it—that’s not to say that there’s not some very interesting horsehide out there, just that I was swayed for perhaps the wrong reasons)

Edited by julian-wolf

32 minutes ago, julian-wolf said:

I suspect folks are just interested in it ‘cause of its tendency to be split very heavy / thick—it’s probably the same audience as is interested in 20+ oz. denim jeans and 2.5”-wide belts

It’s very unusual to see thick horsehide buddy - even when you can get a thick part (normally the strip) it’ll vary enormously over the length. Tough to get consistent belt weights for example, but a lot easier to get enough for boots and shoes.

Sorry to hear your Flame Panda boots have an ‘uninteresting’ leather … what was the tannery?

• superfuture unpinned, featured, unfeatured and pinned this topic