SUPERDENIM SMALL QUESTIONS THREAD (Use instead of making new threads)

minya

Best product for sorting some scuffs and scratches on horween? 

I primarily just use a stiff brush then mink oil on most of my boots so recommendations to deal with more than a clean and nourish?

You'll have to go with a polish to cover up scuffs & scratches.

A cobbler friend of mine recently sold me some products by Saphir. He feels they make the best polish.

They make various versions that yield more or less shine dependent on the wax content. The one on the left is 'high gloss'.

I use it on my White's.

Saphir.jpg

White's polished 2.jpg

15 hours ago, Geeman said:

Best product for sorting some scuffs and scratches on horween? 

I primarily just use a stiff brush then mink oil on most of my boots so recommendations to deal with more than a clean and nourish?

How about embracing the wabi sabi and giving them some sashiko patches to cover the marks?

14 hours ago, julian-wolf said:

I would expect scratches on chromexcel to cover themselves up just fine with a little wear and some brushing…that leather doesn’t seem to hold marks easy

Yeah, for shallow scuffs and the like the amount of oil that’s been stuffed into the leather kinda makes it self healing

Anyone that had a chance to purchase from Buyee before, do you know if there's a way to cancel an order when you get the real shipping fees from them? The estimate I got is ok but as I understand because of the whole Europe situation shipping fees can be crazy(for example I recently got a quote form Trophy Clothing for 11000 yen shipping fees(for jeans). I had never paid more than 4000-5000 on shipping). So just wanted to know.

On 5/5/2022 at 6:07 PM, Duke Mantee said:

Don’t know about cancelling orders, but shipping from Japan has got a bit more complicated (and so more expensive) because flights can’t/won’t go over Russian airspace

I have a package coming overland atm... how long I asked... at least 2 weeks was the response so I decided to leave it at that

On 5/3/2022 at 3:52 AM, CSL said:

You'll have to go with a polish to cover up scuffs & scratches.

A cobbler friend of mine recently sold me some products by Saphir. He feels they make the best polish.

They make various versions that yield more or less shine dependent on the wax content. The one on the left is 'high gloss'.

I use it on my White's.

Saphir.jpg

White's polished 2.jpg

You use all those on just that one boot?  I’ve found just Saphir renovatur to work just fine but maybe that’s me?

8 hours ago, mlwdp said:

You use all those on just that one boot?  I’ve found just Saphir renovatur to work just fine but maybe that’s me?

No. I don't. I'm sorry if the photo implied that. For the shoes pictured I just use the one on the left. 

The other items were bought to use with different shoes & boots.

• 2 weeks later...

is there a good repro of the BIG E era (as in 60s post-XX, pre-66)? to me it’s the best balance of construction, texture etc… i like the somewhat denser stitching and the way it puckers.

is there some reason even the best japanese reproductions are rarely (if ever) as dark and uniform as actual deadstock 50s/60s levis? TCB 50s are remarkably accurate once faded but it’s nowhere close to as dark as vtg starting out.

Warehouse is usually regarded as a very good repro brand of Levi's. But also their denim is quite textured. We had a discussion years ago that somehow most Japanese brands enhance the small details like slubs, neps and other imperfections and this results in these over-textuted denim. 

That said, I think Sugarcane does also very good repro stuff and the denim is closer to the look of Cone denim. But they lack the arcs and tab which Warehouse has.

• 3 weeks later...

Can i ask a little favour of the UK based sufu-crew..

I'm wanting a CD from Yahoo! they're readily available in JP and cost less than a £5'er but insanely expensive in the UK due to rareity, i'm not going to import a CD for goodness sake, i could add it to my next purchase.. only problem is, i haven't bought anything from JP for a while and have no plans to (my bike is almost built) so if any kind soul is using a proxy service at some point, would you mind giving me a hola and adding a CD to your order for me? Thx!

Proxy Co-Op :D

I'm missing quite a few.. off the top of my head Artificial Intelligence I &II on Warp, LFO Frequencies, Camp Lo's Uptown Saturday Night, Beasty Boys, In Sound From Way Out, I've obviously given a lot away in the wilderness years when i thought I'd never listen to my CD collection again.. i'm f'ked if i can remember who has what so i'm buying stuff back, most of which costs next to nothing apart from Tommy Guerrero's Loose Grooves & bastard Blues which i want from JP, I've found 'A Little Bit of Something but not Loose Grooves.

• superfuture unpinned, featured, unfeatured and pinned this topic