SUPERDENIM SMALL QUESTIONS THREAD (Use instead of making new threads)

minya

Hello, new to all this. My first quality denim: new mister freedom California lot.64 Sc66. Size 36. Got these off ebay for a great price.

I first cold soaked these, then hang dried. Still too big, so I hot soaked them… twice. They shrunk a bit in the waist but still feel too big in the thigh. Material on the side of the thigh kinda remind me of MC hammer. My waist is a bit over 35 but I got chicken legs so Im usually trapped with the larger thigh&knee measurements that come with the larger waist sizes. Also, I feel like these got stiffer?

I’m wondering if I should put these in the washer and dryer. Or should I do another hot soak and use a hair dryer on the outer thigh area?

Or, get them altered?

I’ll try another fit in the future but would appreciate any help on these!

18 hours ago, Thanks_M8 said:

Paging the german denim nerds here,

Which places offer chainstitch hemming besides DC4 and Statement? 
Looking for a place to hem a part of my collection and am trying to keep it on the lower side of things.
Thanks in advance :)

Well, if you want a "real" chainstitch I would go with DC4 as Daniel has the Union Special 43200G. I may remember incorrectly but Statement runs a Juki or so.
The other German shops...I don't remember them offering a hemming service.
Rutloff offers it though.

2 hours ago, Pressgo said:

Hello, new to all this. My first quality denim: new mister freedom California lot.64 Sc66. Size 36. Got these off ebay for a great price.

I first cold soaked these, then hang dried. Still too big, so I hot soaked them… twice. They shrunk a bit in the waist but still feel too big in the thigh. Material on the side of the thigh kinda remind me of MC hammer. My waist is a bit over 35 but I got chicken legs so Im usually trapped with the larger thigh&knee measurements that come with the larger waist sizes. Also, I feel like these got stiffer?

I’m wondering if I should put these in the washer and dryer. Or should I do another hot soak and use a hair dryer on the outer thigh area?

Or, get them altered?

I’ll try another fit in the future but would appreciate any help on these!

If you come from wearing slim fit jeans, some of the more classic inspired cuts can feel a little weird at first. That said, Lot 64 are an overall slimmer cut - so if you want something even slimmer you probably won't shrink these to your satisfaction - and if you're trying to do the wear from raw state thing, having these hit water 3 times before you start isn't great. They will soften up with some wear - if you wear them - it's normal for jeans to be stiff after they dry. They will also start to drape more naturally. It would probably be best to get the measurements you actually want dialed in and shop for fit first.

On 4/15/2022 at 4:27 PM, ColonelAngus said:

Is Indigo Proof considered the gold standard for denim repair? My jeans are slowly disintegrating and I’m in need of a crotch repair and pocket replacement. 

I would say so.  I would sign up for her email list because you have to submit an application for repair work and she only accepts applications every few months it seems like. 

Is anyone else having trouble with the functionality of the site?

Recently it's been taking a very long time for pages to load completely. 

I've tried different browsers but the problem persists...

23 minutes ago, AlientoyWorkmachine said:

Haven't had issues but the recent posts from the current showrunners make me think if they don't find a new owner it will eventually just degrade and die (or finish dying). 

Worry not, If i remember rightly 'supertalk' has been open to offers for some years :)

"It is a digital cockroach and will survive all current and future apocalypses"

30 minutes ago, CSL said:

Is anyone else having trouble with the functionality of the site?

Recently it's been taking a very long time for pages to load completely. 

I've tried different browsers but the problem persists...

Works fine for me.. just some folks who post multiple massive sized images @Broark i'm looking at you here buster.. take an age to load up (on all forums) most of the time i get bored waiting and bag it off, everything else seems pretty slick using different devices, connections.. sometimes ads struggle to load up at work (vintage pc) but sufu, being relatively add free.. runs well even at work.

21 hours ago, AlientoyWorkmachine said:

If you come from wearing slim fit jeans, some of the more classic inspired cuts can feel a little weird at first. That said, Lot 64 are an overall slimmer cut - so if you want something even slimmer you probably won't shrink these to your satisfaction - and if you're trying to do the wear from raw state thing, having these hit water 3 times before you start isn't great. They will soften up with some wear - if you wear them - it's normal for jeans to be stiff after they dry. They will also start to drape more naturally. It would probably be best to get the measurements you actually want dialed in and shop for fit first.

Mall jeans have been the usual for me with 511 flavor fits, 34 vanity size. Actual is a bit over 35.

I might get these altered. Do any of you alter your denim (Besides hemming)? Or spot dry them using a hair dryer?

Don’t know much about the raw state thing to care. I don’t mind experimenting with these since the price was right. 

Edited by Pressgo

Suggestions for restoring canvass sneakers (cons) that have developed some yellowing?

Aint worn my cons for a while  and they have started to develop some yellow stains,  washing them did no good? 

On 4/18/2022 at 3:36 PM, sven said:

What brands besides TCB do jeans with inseams longer than 34 inches?

Oldblue (oldblueco.net) are 36"

On 4/15/2022 at 2:27 PM, ColonelAngus said:

Is Indigo Proof considered the gold standard for denim repair? My jeans are slowly disintegrating and I’m in need of a crotch repair and pocket replacement. 

I send all my jeans to runabout goods for repairs. Better pricing and better repairs in my opinion. 
Rain at indigo proof is great but she tends to go heavy on the darning which causes the jeans to end up super stiff where the repairs are. 

2 hours ago, shredwin_206 said:
Rain at indigo proof is great but she tends to go heavy on the darning which causes the jeans to end up super stiff where the repairs are. 

Isn’t that a good thing? My current issue is my jeans are going through a crotch blowout and my assumption is that the thicker the darning the longer they’ll last

1 hour ago, ColonelAngus said:

Isn’t that a good thing? My current issue is my jeans are going through a crotch blowout and my assumption is that the thicker the darning the longer they’ll last

It’s preference. It made the crotch feel like a sheet of cardboard was sewn in there. Made them uncomfortable to wear. And made it bench up all weird. Probably will last a long time but not worth the price of a new pair of jeans to have them repaired. 

1 hour ago, shredwin_206 said:

Probably will last a long time..

I'm not so sure.. whether you excessively darn or patch with new or heavier weight denim.. it can have a detrimental effect because it causes an (unnatural) fold between the flexible old and the 'cardboardy' new and the older material is also getting threadbare therefore you're creating an area of greater friction, breaking fibres at the point you want it the least.. if that makes sense

1 hour ago, Double 0 Soul said:

I'm not so sure.. whether you excessively darn or patch with new or heavier weight denim.. it can have a detrimental effect because it causes an (unnatural) fold between the flexible old and the 'cardboardy' new and the older material is also getting threadbare therefore you're creating an area of greater friction, breaking fibres at the point you want it the least.. if that makes sense

Exactly. They went from my fav jeans to a pair I never wear anymore because of the cardboard darning effects :( 

5 hours ago, ColonelAngus said:

Not exactly - my first repair was heavily darned and backed with denim and all if did was transfer the high wear area to the edge of the darned area. It bought me some time, but it was sort of uncomfortable and would have most likely lasted longer if the repair was done in a way where the whole surface had more even wear and give. The stiffness made that not possible. 

Having attempted a bit of darning on my TCBs I found there was a fine line between under & overdoing it. 

I prefer going as light as possible & then adding/touching up as needed. Of course that's only practical if one is doing the work themselves.

• superfuture unpinned, featured, unfeatured and pinned this topic