SUPERDENIM SMALL QUESTIONS THREAD (Use instead of making new threads)

minya

On 1/27/2022 at 2:36 PM, busterthehuman said:

Anyone have some thoughts /experience on H.W. Dog brand?

I have a Browns Beach cap that they make. Workmanship seems fine.

• 3 weeks later...

Doesn't really matter imo unless you're really concerned about historical accuracy for it's own sake. I don't really care. I thought I did for a minute, then I got lazy with some pair and just had them lockstitched hemmed because that was all that was available...and it impacted my quality of life not a smidge. I mean, if it's not a big inconvenience and its well done sure I would choose it but I'm not going out of my way for it. 

Lock stitch can work just as well or even better than chain stitch. Also, $10 simple casual trousers from a local shop can be just as comfortable and well made, or maybe even more comfortable and better made, than $300 repro jeans bought and shipped from Japan with all related difficulties of searching, dealing with sellers, long delivery time, customs clearance, sizing guess work and so on. So, since I'm paying $300 for repro jeans from Japan, I definitely prefer chain stitch. It is part of the fun after all.

Edited by Talan

As one of those peeps who prefers historical accuracy, l always prefer traditional chainstitched hems.

I wanted to get my CSF WW2 pair hemmed like 3 years ago but due to the pandemic, l just haven't wanted/been able to face the risks of going into busy London to do so. So in the end I just decided to say fuck it and embrace the cuff.

Unfortunately l now have more cuffed pairs than plain but l can live with that. 

[Edit] for now.

Edited by Dr_Heech

• 2 weeks later...

Hi @MJF9 . Are you after mens Jordans1s, and high or lows? 

I ask as, as a rule of thumb, mens high Jordan 1s are an absolute bugger to get hold of without paying resale. You basically have to enter raffles with the likes of End, Footpatrol and Hanon, or try for them on draws on the SNKRS app (usually Saturday mornings at 8am). 

If you’re after a different model of Jordans they should be easier, but it’s all a bit of a pain in the arse. 

@unders thanks... initially looking for a good old browse of Jordan 1s, highs or lows, from stores that are recommended from Sufu.  I'd only had a quick scan and could see sites that linked to sites etc so wondered if there was something better out there. Thanks for the heads up above... this new fangled trainer world does sound a pain 

@MJF9 Ok, got ya. I think looking at a decent selection at an online store would be difficult as they are only on product pages for a short while before getting sold, or never even get that far if it’s a raffle system.

As such I’m afraid it’s cringe-worthy blogs or Instagram pages that use a strange, indecipherable ‘sneakerhead’ language.

@unders ahhh so it kinda takes the fun out of browsing seemingly innocently, then spotting something eye-catching (that is not a silly resale price) and then pulling the trigger there and then in the moment boom! A raffle doesn't give them same instant excitement hit for me. Might check out that SNRS app just to see what that's all about

The sneaker game is horrible and has been for years.

I don't want to enter raffles, line up, or pay stupid resell prices to get my hands on a pair. Gone are the days when you could just walk into a store have look, hand over your cash, and walk out with something on your feet. I have completely given up even trying. 

With sites like stock x it seems that its become a rich kids' game of trading and investing in different pairs. It's really taken all the fun and style out of it. 

I’m not sure why it’s described as a ‘game’, but it’s certainly a lucrative business. It’s stuff made in China or other cheap labour markets in SE Asia sold for a large markup and resold on the basis of rarity for an even bigger markup. I’m surprised that people on Sufu who value provenance, etc are even interested in these things.

Edited by Maynard Friedman

^Similar story with Levi's.. Nike are a victim of their own success.. I could never afford AJ's in the 80's but they're still a design classic and a pair of og colourway AJ1's still plucks the teenage me's heartstrings, they always will but i agree the way they're currently retailed is absolutely repulsive.

I started collecting 70's era Nike runners (Boston, Waffles, Cortez ect) in the very early 90's which were all MiJ, MiA, MiI ..I bought all the Jordan re-issues in the 90's for sentimental reasons because i couldn't afford them when i was a kid, i didn't wear them, wasn't really my steeze..

In all honesty i made quite a few quid from the 'sneaker game' i got in early, i had contacts, i was much cooler back then.. with a social life.

An easy way to potentially quick profit for any consumer these days then

Enter raffle

if win, resell quick riding the hype or hold on with gamble prices rise further

if don’t win, nothing lost

What’s the downside for kids looking to make a few quid from people who want to buy? Potential devaluation - however, sounds like if you pick the right model, it’s low risk

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone here have the power to unpin these threads from the front page?

They’re a decade old (some almost) and don’t do much but clutter the front page now.
I think the tech has moved on and the gallery isn’t necessary anymore. 
Anyone agree? 
it not like we can’t search for them - they could even be pinned to the top of page 2 instead. Just think it’d good to clean up the front page @superfuture

AB43F960-35A0-40E0-B3C9-7F0C85C6F20C.jpeg

Edited by UkeNo

3 hours ago, UkeNo said:

They’re a decade old (some almost) and don’t do much but clutter the front page now.
Anyone agree? 
it not like we can’t search for them - they could even be pinned to the top of page 2 instead. Just think it’d good to clean up the front page @superfuture

Neal’s sugarcane topic is still active - but it does seem like the other 3 are not as useful 

Edited by Duke Mantee

9 hours ago, Duke Mantee said:

Neal’s sugarcane topic is still active - but it does seem like the other 3 are not as useful 

Not that that’s ever stopped his M-series threads from being axed in the past…

re summer hols.. we used to rent a shack somewhere in Europe, book flights on SkyScanner and pick up a car in the airport.. due to my mrs having brain surgery then covid we haven't been on a flight for a good few years so i'm a bit out of touch, the worlds you oyster for holiday let booking sites but is SkyScanner still recommended for flights or am i living in the past?

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/19/2022 at 9:57 PM, UkeNo said:

Anyone agree? 

Hi from the long lost superfuture cockpit. Just been caught in other random orbits for the last few months and know supertalk well overdue for love and attention it so deserves... 
More than happy to have someone (or few people) who want to help with the admin and clean up... so perhaps now as good a time as any to start looking to rebuild a nextgen superdenim mod team as there isn't anyone doing this...
Basically you'd just get upgraded to mod status and then able to access the edit tools for things like thread pins / post moves / merges etc. 
Its more housecleaning than playing cop.

Maybe a new thread for nominations for a team of 3?? dunno. 

UPDATE ---> 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/9/2022 at 10:26 PM, Dan_F said:

Anyone know if Buzz Rickson’s original spec chinos shrink?

No they don't, you can't shrink them even if you try

29 minutes ago, lifted said:

how tight should brand new raw selvedge denim fit, to account for the stretch over time?

If it's raw denim.. you need to account for shrink before stretch (depending on cut) they should feel slightly loose in the waist and very loose everywhere else, a wash will shrink them to fit and areas under tension like the waist will stretch back within a week to almost raw measurements, areas that drape will not stretch back. If you're someone who's going to hot wash/dryer often.. the raw measurements need to be looser than if you're someone who will cold wash every 6mths or so and line dry.

If you don't need a belt when they're raw, even if they aren't necessarily tight, they're too small

Adding onto what Dubbo said regarding washing habits, if you rarely wash your jeans and do so with cold water, the jeans will feel like they never stop shrinking

Making sure you shrink them to fit before wearing them is crucial. If you are afraid to wash them because they might shrink too much, they're too small

• superfuture unpinned, featured, unfeatured and pinned this topic