SUPERDENIM SMALL QUESTIONS THREAD (Use instead of making new threads)

minya

I’m at a dead end on how I’d make, improvise or buy this hardware - not this very exact hardware, just something I can use that would be similar (I know the wire is sterling silver so that’s not an issue). Throw me a bone here - I’ll be eternally grateful …

IMG_7478.JPG

IMG_7484.JPG

Edited by Duke Mantee

Thanks Neal - I’ve looked at similar … brass hand saw nuts. That belt is called a 3 Div. Carpenter Belt so the saw nuts seemed appropriate - but I was thinking how to create the type of design you can see with the numbering, so actually your suggestion might be good because it offers a flat surface to work with

E2483ED9-7BA1-4E29-AD34-4FEB075DABF9.jpeg

Edited by Duke Mantee

I reckon the (19/27) originals have been lost-wax cast looking at the textured surface, you can't see a joint line so they don't look moulded if you needed lots it would be cost effective to go that route, i can post you a load of small white-metal numbers and you can use something like those brass screws for the patterns with the white metal numbers superglued onto the caps.

If you only need half a dozen they could be cnc machined out of Alu bar at any machine shop but the finish would be different, with machining marks/lines ect

Edited by Double 0 Soul

It’s just an experiment - that Barnstormers belt was about £500. I took a notion to myself that I could make it, well very similar, so it was just that hardware that I was stuck on. I’m not overly concerned about the numbers, in fact I don’t think they look great, but I was trying to figure out what that bar and caps was … probably some custom thing.

IMG_7476.JPG.7c2bd567b2f7536fd66ca68b573bb646.JPG

I actually had an idea the using copper buttons would look good for the bar ends - these type of things …

5980C848-2A9E-4B0C-962D-1662BB62AEB5.thumb.jpeg.ddcdaf1025a3f29d709e078bed772fd3.jpeg

so how to make a secure fix would be the challenge

You could use copper rod, have a hole drilled through the center on a metal lathe and tap.. say an M4 thread in there, then get some M4 copper coloured bolts (or paint them) and just screw through the button where the rivet goes. You can get a cheap  £15 M4 tap & die set from screw fix which will be more than adequate for copper.

Reading about your belt thingie @Duke Mantee, I thought it might be something I could do for you. But first try and then talk.

so I made up something. I didn’t,t know measurements. So it kinda looks like something you,re after. While making it I realized I have no good tools to hold it while finishing it to make it look nice.

When done, I came up with a plan how it could work for me and my tools.

its pieces of steel rod and hole sawed bits, which I drilled to to steel rod dia. And brass brazed it together.

when it was together it didn’t,t fit in the lathe anymore.

anyhow here is a picture

6E94C7A4-97A9-488A-AFB3-7E845A6D95D7.jpeg

88976B6D-3FA7-4A9B-9775-10F0F9AD196E.jpeg

D50BB387-470B-4844-86BA-B850AC09D1F4.jpeg

355719F9-7691-4F29-A132-4681744F95F8.jpeg

2 hours ago, FurnitureMaker said:

That Barnstormers belt looks unique.  At least I’ve never seen one similar. Does anyone know if this is an original design?

It won’t be unique soon :wink:

But yes, it is an original design although the idea of jointed belts isn’t original … this is a belt from WW1

D7-E9-A2-C9-976-D-4-A7-E-917-C-C7-AD0507

Edited by Duke Mantee

Reminds me of this jointed belt. I assumed it was military in some way.  I like the snake/serpent hook on belts like the WWI belt Duke posted.

IMG_0150.thumb.jpg.9c25c9c71b9464c28f5e19c1a97614dd.jpgIMG_0151.thumb.jpg.b264104973a43292cf5736a9ac273cda.jpgIMG_0152.thumb.jpg.327d84aa60d52aa03b7a0a21dbf25bfb.jpg

Edited by buler

@Duke ManteeThat WW1 belt is interesting. Trying to extrapolate the functionality. At initial glance, it appears to do an excellent  job of complicating your ability to keep your pants up! 

Maybe the belt’s function is to hold and organize tools or ammo? Thanks for posting this photo. 

• 2 weeks later...

It's for a watch chain. They have a T-bar on one end that hooks through that buttonhole.

Edited by CSL

Has anyone tried removing the suspender buttons of their jeans?

I have a pair of lvc 1933 that I want to experiment with and take off the suspender buttons but haven't the slightest idea of where to start.

I know these will end up having a hole on them, but I wouldn't mind that

I’ve not removed suspender buttons but I have taken off cinches and the associated rivets on 37-model jeans (both LVC and Full Count) which isn’t too dissimilar. I used pliers and then sewed up the small residual holes with a denim coloured thread. If you plan to wear a belt, you won’t even notice.

I too have never attempted it but my best guess would be to apply an appropriately sized drill, or better a grinder bit in the hole. Once that bit of metal is ground away the back & front should separate.

After cutting off the cinch, removing suspender and donut buttons, and tapering (only by some, I hasten to add, cough cough), are they the right jeans, given the universe of potential jeans out there... just saying, as they say

Those LVC 37s cost me £22 on eBay years ago and already had the cinch straps cut so I was just finishing the job in order to wear them comfortably with a belt. No suspenders buttons for me to remove though…

I got them tapered as I didn’t really like the wide leg but funnily enough, I didn’t really like them with a slimmer leg either! :laugh2:

In summary, I guess I just didn’t like them at all :wacko2:

Hahaha and I never even mentioned any names... not one

Your second line made me lol... I bought a pair of Flatheads years ago from that Kiosk shop in Leeds and decided to taper them... and never wore them again.  That short rise became shorter and the fit went from being OK to all manner of wrong.  I eventually sold them on Grailed, probably receiving about £22 after fees. Never again :laugh2:

• superfuture unpinned, featured, unfeatured and pinned this topic